Reasons given for H&S rules

I wish that these pricks who think up pseudo H&S rules would at least make up a reason or excuse for them, if only to make themselves look credible.

Pulled into a Travis Perkins site, had not got my arse out of the cab until I got …
‘‘Hi viz driver’’
I said
‘‘Give me a chance mate, to I open my side cupboard to find it’’.
…answer ‘‘Most drivers wear them in cab while driving’’…
my answer
‘‘No mate most dicks who don’t mind looking that way wear them while driving’’ :unamused:

‘‘Can you put a hard hat on please driver’’
to which I looked around and saw absolutely nobody else wearing one, but I just said nothing in case I talked myself out of getting tipped. :unamused:

Anyway, put some milk in the microwave to sit back with a latte, just got my foot on dash checking my phone out when another young kid says…
‘‘You can’t sit in your cab driver’’
I says ‘‘Why exactly’’ ,
‘‘Health and Safety’’ says the kid,
‘‘Yeh but they are just words, why can’t I’’
‘‘Dunno’’ says the kid. :open_mouth:
:unamused:

I just bit my tongue, picked up my coffee and sat in the nearest office, and tbf the guy in there made me welcome enough, but you know what I mean eh? …Ffs.! :unamused:

Ever been to one of those places where you pull in and staff are noticeable by their absence? So you wait a while and are starting to wonder when they might appear to tip you…at this point I usually remove my high viz…guaranteed to get some attention then!

Just had the yard foreman come to me and politely explained to me that one ■■■■ decided to pull forward while getting tipped on day, when the flt had his forks in a pallet, turning it over.
So same old same old…1 prick who spoils things for everybody else.

Try Amazon at Altrincham, not allowed to even walk in the yard without an ■■■■■■ following you. Also have to hand in your keys and sit in the waiting room when waiting for your load…when your solo :unamused: Don’t think about sneaking back to your cab because the drivers waiting area is locked.

robroy:
Just had the yard foreman come to me and politely explained to me that one ■■■■ decided to pull forward while getting tipped on day, when the flt had his forks in a pallet, turning it over.

I have got quite used to the farms relaxed view of H&S rules which is a refreshing change. I am looking at moving on and am sure will resent the usual stringent H&S rubbish, a hard hat in my opinion, is not required in an open yard environment. Is a seagull likely to fall out of the sky and hit you on the head.

Funnily enough i just got turned away from a TP depot for not wearing my vest in the cab whilst driving in ,they said it’s because another driver drove in with out one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :blush: :wink:

robroy:

This a thousand times…

rob22888:
Try Amazon at Altrincham, not allowed to even walk in the yard without an ■■■■■■ following you. Also have to hand in your keys and sit in the waiting room when waiting for your load…when your solo :unamused: Don’t think about sneaking back to your cab because the drivers waiting area is locked.

Yeah only place i have ever felt caged in but there is free coffee , a sweety machine 42" telly to watch and can have a tab if you want .I really don’t mind it . I have been to worse.

First firm that…

Tells me to stand in a cage (locked or not), won’t be getting the goods they ordered/want delivered.

rob22888:

If what happens is as you have written it, ie you are actually locked in a room :open_mouth: then, assuming you accept that situation (which I don’t think I could) it might be an idea to formulate some sort of plan in case there is fire as it does not sound as if any Amazon staff are going to have unlocking your door at the top of their list :unamused:

Seriously though, any visitor to a site, whether locked up or not, should be advised of the emergency procedures, and every room have fire exits. I believe they have fire drills in prisons…

Same at Amazon Coalville, but I got blasted for taking my hi Vis bomber jacket off in the drivers room , breach of H&S. I did ask if forklift trucks had developed the ability to climb steps and run you down on route to the coffee machine, but the reason was…l was out of my vehicle, ,and that was the only reason they could give me.

Bidfood Worthing climbs in the back of trailer pump trucks pallet to the edge fork lift guy sitting there not moving asked what’s up need keys drive the reply so asked why he needs them oh incase you drive off with you inside. And apparently it’s happened he says

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

manski:

rob22888:

If what happens is as you have written it, ie you are actually locked in a room :open_mouth: then, assuming you accept that situation (which I don’t think I could) it might be an idea to formulate some sort of plan in case there is fire as it does not sound as if any Amazon staff are going to have unlocking your door at the top of their list :unamused:

Seriously though, any visitor to a site, whether locked up or not, should be advised of the emergency procedures, and every room have fire exits. I believe they have fire drills in prisons…

Tbf most locking systems disable when there is a fire alarm. It’s not like they put you in a cell and padlock you in.

robroy:

What also matters is if something happens as a one off event a company will probably get away with it, unless they have been negligent. If an accident is repeated they will get the book thrown at them for not taking remedial action, being negligent. Also if it is a “known hazard” the no win no fee guys will be laughing to the bank

Victa1:

rob22888:

Yeah only place i have ever felt caged in but there is free coffee , a sweety machine 42" telly to watch and can have a tab if you want .I really don’t mind it . I have been to worse.

Am I misreading the phrase
“Can have a tab”?
You’re allowed to smoke in the driver’s waiting room?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Victa1:

rob22888:

“Can have a tab”?

Anything like the others it’ll have like a caged area you can access via waiting room similar to those in airports etc

It’s a number of things, the blame culture, the job being done by imbeciles, the ambulance chasers (solicitors) and the HSE.

So when you hurt yourself driving or slip onto you’re arse because you didn’t look where you were going this is what happens, H&S nonsense.

toonsy:

Franglais:

Victa1:

rob22888:

“Can have a tab”?

Anything like the others it’ll have like a caged area you can access via waiting room similar to those in airports etc

Makes not a ■■■■ of difference in my eyes mate, the point is some ■■■■ locking you in a waiting room :open_mouth: is plain WRONG …end of. :bulb:
(not to mention most probably illegal :bulb: )
I don’t know how the bastds get away with it tbh, we are delivering their goods, what are we now? Hostages? …Criminals ?
Downright liberty imo. :smiling_imp:

If it’s Amazon near airport every time I’ve been there door isn’t locked and smoking area right next to door.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Getting back on track I once got tokd a particular site was hard hat only when I entered it. So I was a good boy and put it on whilst doing the curtains then retreating back to my cab (without keys) to look at a stop lollipop until requested to move curtains again.

In the safety of my cab I took my hat off onky seconds later for there to be furious parping of a forklift horn. I was then told by the driver who wasn’t wearing a hard hat that it’s a hard hat only site. What? Even in my cab? Yeah mate it’s in case something falls on you. I said if something is going to fall on me and crush the cab I’m not sure a hard hat will help mate…