Driver Training Instructor - Self employed query?

Hi Everyone,

I’ve got a serious set of queries that need genuine answers pls.

Since returning back from Afghan a year ago after 7 years on rotation as a civilian government contractor (assistant transport manager/ new contracts manager), I’ve been operating as a self employed class 1 driver focusing on multi drop and long haul to get the UK driving back experience under my belt. This has involved the painful process of using specific recruiters that are constantly throwing different clients and different jobs at me on a weekly basis. The day rates range from £13.50 to £14.50 with weekends from $17 to £21 and hour. Capped at 8hr max a shift its just not good enough. Im a grafter so 12 to 14hr shifts minimum is a God send yet an impossible find! Now my (18year) career experience is primarily logistics/ tankers yet its been a long time since I have been a tanker driver/operator here in the UK. Frustrating!!! Its for this reason that I have to use recruiters for standard class 1 work and they are extremely unreliable.

Re full time work ive noticed that corporate clients are just ■■■■ to work for in terms of the full term salaries they offer. The career development is poor and there is no real commission/ bonus incentive. Without being in the UK as a transport manager no corporate client will touch me unless i go in at the very bottom and the time it takes to get back up to ATM is 3 to 5+ years minimum. I just wont do it. Its this reason that I have been looking at what career in the transport world can I qualify in and look at a better return of both career and financial gain. One idea is I have been looking at HGV driver training instructors and there seems to be a high shortage due to most leaving their full time DTI roles and going freelance. To me it does make sense to invest in the right training because the return is quicker and more stable. As a grafter it makes sense■■?

Any ideas or suggestions on this pls■■?

Maskell333:
Re full time work ive noticed that corporate clients are just [zb] to work for in terms of the full term salaries they offer. The career development is poor and there is no real commission/ bonus incentive. Without being in the UK as a transport manager no corporate client will touch me unless i go in at the very bottom and the time it takes to get back up to ATM is 3 to 5+ years minimum. I just wont do it. Its this reason that I have been looking at what career in the transport world can I qualify in and look at a better return of both career and financial gain. One idea is I have been looking at HGV driver training instructors and there seems to be a high shortage due to most leaving their full time DTI roles and going freelance. To me it does make sense to invest in the right training because the return is quicker and more stable. As a grafter it makes sense■■?

Any ideas or suggestions on this pls■■?

Yeah, get a grip on reality. There is no career development in haulage other than that you do yourself. There is no promotion scale to go up, no career advancement unless you’re one of the very few who move from driving to the transport office.

The money has always been crap and this isn’t likely to change. It would appear that you seem to think that transport in the real world works and pays the same as it did in the government sector, it doesn’t. There are companies where it does but their primary role isn’t transport. I work at one on agency where it both pays well and has career progression (not for the drivers) but it is the UK’s largest kitchen manufacturer and they run their own fleet of over 100 lorries and over 600 trailers covering over 650 depots.

If you want to get what you want then you need to be looking away from the haulage sector and instead be looking at manufacturers and retailers who run their own fleets and distribution networks.

Hi Conor,

I really appreciate the reply thank you. Just for the record there is no mention or thought that there would or could ever be any comparison with the private/ government sector in terms of pay. Thats a no brainer. I appreciate your honesty in regards to the career progression in the logistic field. The deeper I dig it seems the transition from driver to back office is a longwinded process with little career/ financial gain. Your not the first to suggest the limitations and im sure you wont be the last. I dont see a career in UK logistics (Financially) unless I want to sell other peoples products and chase some commission incentive. Looks like i will focus on a more rewarding trade and hit the self employed route building my own dream piece by piece. Weekend trunking here and there for extra cash wont go a miss :smiley:

Best way to do it or to do agency work whilst you build up your business. I can’t ever see haulage being a career track in the traditional sense any time soon and in the next couple of decades it is likely to be a job mostly automated away.

I have been pushing the agency side of things and cant wait for easter its a hard time atm with work scarce everywhere its frustrating!..What about the DTI side of things?? I got set up for 4 interviews with Hoya and all 4 times they had to cancel because they couldnt find a DTI to support the assessment. I hear DTI (Driver Training Instructors/ assessors are like rocking horse sh@$t… I was curious on how they become qualified and what route they take etc…Got to look at all avenues!

Maskell333:
I have been pushing the agency side of things and cant wait for easter its a hard time atm with work scarce everywhere its frustrating!..What about the DTI side of things?? I got set up for 4 interviews with Hoya and all 4 times they had to cancel because they couldnt find a DTI to support the assessment. I hear DTI (Driver Training Instructors/ assessors are like rocking horse sh@$t… I was curious on how they become qualified and what route they take etc…Got to look at all avenues!

Try
gov.uk/become-an-lgv-driving … r/overview

There are now a couple of registers you can join, once you complete any training.
The actual training is quite costly, as not all LGV training schools offer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maskell333:

They hold the relevant licence for three years. That’s it. And normally to get the assessor job you have to be the biggest ■■■■ kisser, not the better driver…

toonsy:

Maskell333:

They hold the relevant licence for three years. That’s it. And normally to get the assessor job you have to be the biggest ■■■■ kisser, not the better driver…

Not always true Toonsy. Some, not many are trained correctly and hold the correct qualifications for training and assessing.
The ones that you are talking about are generally are just drivers that their employer reckon they are up to the job.
Most like that however are the worst kind of trainer or assessor because they go by what they think is correct and not what is correct.
You can be a really good driver but that certainly does not make you capable of instructing and assessing.
Correct (official) training is required.