Time

Starting from scratch, how long does it take to get an HGV licence?
apply for a prov car licence
learn to drive
pass theory
pass practical
apply for HGV pass medical
pass theory
pass practical
attend CPCD courses

6 months?

Euro:
learn to drive
pass theory
pass practical
pass theory
pass practical
attend CPCD courses

6 months?

I went from car to c+e in six months. That includes hazard perception, theory medical and one failed practical. Question is, how quickly can you get your car license now?

Took me just two weeks in the Army, from provisional to HGV 2, then after 6 months active service went to class 1 . In those days you could do your car and HGV together by learning straight off in a class 2. Two L plates were required on the lorry. Mate of mine has recently done his in one month,

Can you longer miss out the car licence & go direct to the theory & HGV test.

Dave…

Captain Caveman 76:
I went from car to c+e in six months. That includes hazard perception, theory medical and one failed practical. Question is, how quickly can you get your car license now?

You can get a car licence in a week same as hgv. Obviously you need to pass the theory prior to turning up for your week of training. 6 month is a fair guess. You’d spend a lot of that time waiting for the DVLA sending your licence backwards and forwards.

I believe lead times for car tests are quite long too. My niece had a three month wait for hers, failed it then had another three month wait. At least she passed that time though

I know someone that went from no licence at all to full C + E in 5 days. Can’t be done now but it was possible in the military several years ago.

UKtramp:
Took me just two weeks in the Army, from provisional to HGV 2, then after 6 months active service went to class 1 . In those days you could do your car and HGV together by learning straight off in a class 2. Two L plates were required on the lorry. Mate of mine has recently done his in one month,

Yellow Perils perhaps?

Ten days in 1989, a week for a builders merchant in Cardiff on an rigid then onto a Atki Strato, didn’t have a [zb] clue.

Some say I still don’t.

Rick W:

UKtramp:

Yellow Perils perhaps?

RCT 10 reg 1979, from provisional car licence to class 2 in 5 days at leconfield then a further 5 days combat driving in driffield. Some who had signed up for 9 years were allowed to go to class 1 straight after.

Euro:
learn to drive
pass theory
pass practical
pass theory
pass practical
attend CPCD courses

6 months?

7-8 weeks.
Week 1, theory test for car.
Week 2, 1 week intensive course and test for car.
Week 3, complete HGV medical, apply for license.
Week 6, get license, take theory modules
Week 7, intensive course, test and practical modules.

Might be another week or two depending on how quick you get your provisional HGV and any theory test centre booking issues. 6 months though? Nowhere near.