Drivers who moan about an early finish

We are a funny breed as truck drivers. In no other job I’ve ever done have I seen staff moan when someone’s says your all done, get yourself gone…4 hours early.

In 2 different companies I’ve witnessed drivers have a proper moan at the transport desk when the planner tells them this. I know we get paid hourly (in these 2 companies) but come on, why would you not want to get going if you can and do something other than work?

If I get told I can go at 2pm on a Friday then I’m off like a bullet before they change their mind and suddenly realise there’s a collection they’ve forgotten about.

Don’t get what the moaning is for over 2 or 3 hours pay when you could start your days off early.

Rowley010:
We are a funny breed as truck drivers. In no other job I’ve ever done have I seen staff moan when someone’s says your all done, get yourself gone…4 hours early.

In 2 different companies I’ve witnessed drivers have a proper moan at the transport desk when the planner tells them this. I know we get paid hourly (in these 2 companies) but come one, why would you not want to get going if you can and do something other than work?

If I get told I can go at 2pm on a Friday then I’m off like a bullet before they change their mind and suddenly realise there’s a collection they’ve forgotten about.

Don’t get what the moaning is for over 2 or 3 hours pay when you could start your days off early.

It’s usually the ones on a crap hourly rate who moan.

The types that spend too much & earn too little. (aka bellend’s)

I was furious today :wink: , rocked up at 12 noon at work to take a trailer to its new home but the service people had not done their thing yet and it wouldn’t be finished till 5pm. Well I said I might as well just go silly am (3am :open_mouth: ) with it tomorrow. So I came home :laughing:

Good old salary pay.

If there was some work to do they would want to go home awkward twits

You work to earn money to pay bills. Finishing early is great right up till the direct debits are due

They would still moan if they did 2hrs a day had an hour for lunch and 2 x 30min breaks and were paid day rate…
[emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Correct

Us salaried bods are out the door soon the words are uttered.

Unfortunately many drivers on hourly pay are not on overtime rates calculated on a daily basis, they get an OT rate after say 50 hours, so the company send them home early on a Friday which knocks the overtime money they were on target for (and already earned if OT was calculated fairly) back down to basic rate.

Yes they might be silly in the eyes of some for accepting such terms, but not everyone has the fortune to live in the right areas nor the luck to land the better jobs, very understandable when lads get the arse because trickery like this is rife.

as the snowman says we all work to live and to some people they need all the hours of a fixed week to fulfil the bills, I personally have never worked where if you finished before your scheduled hours your pay is docked, and although I would look elsewhere should that be the case some people do not have that choice,

I get 48 hours what ever , but if in a Friday I’m told I can go I’m off like a shot

It’s because of the ratio between the pay structure and the hourly rate.
In other words this job is geared up where in most cases you have to work a week and a half’s hours to earn a week’s wages.
There are guys in this job, (or as beaver says bellends) who would work 24 hours a day 7 days a week, if they could,.and in most cases for single time straight through…and then they will tell everybody about the ‘‘good wages’’ they are on, …and actually believe it. :laughing:
I got out of the rat race and voluntarily cut my hours down,.and I feel much better for it, and get full weekends (and a half) at home.
More to life than work, and certainly more to life than spending it in a ■■■■ truck. :bulb:

When I was on hours I had the job sorted correctly. Guaranteed 10 hours per day then time and a half after that. So I worked like a b@*#ard Monday to Thursday then made sure I got a cushy early finish Friday because “my wtd hours were getting high” [emoji23]
They knew I was taking the p1ss but just turned a blind eye to it.
Now I’m salary I bank the hours over 26 weeks then get loads of ‘free’ days off. Either way is good for me as long as the basic is good.

robroy:
It’s because of the ratio between the pay structure and the hourly rate.
In other words this job is geared up where in most cases you have to work a week and a half’s hours to earn a week’s wages.
There are guys in this job, (or as beaver says bellends) who would work 24 hours a day 7 days a week, if they could,.and in most cases for single time straight through…and then they will tell everybody about the ‘‘good wages’’ they are on, …and actually believe it. :laughing:
I got out of the rat race and voluntarily cut my hours down,.and I feel much better for it, and get full weekends (and a half) at home.
More to life than work, and certainly more to life than spending it in a [zb] truck. :bulb:

I’ve give up encouraging folk to get a decent job now, Rob.

You cannot educate pork as we both know. Got myself a really good number by turning over stones. If you keep turning them over, sooner or later you will find what you are looking for :wink:

Requires a decent spine though, and therein lies the problem…

I’ll give you an example as to how contrary and greedy some drivers are when it comes to early finishes; I was shunting the other week and a mate came stomping over with a face like a bulldog licking ■■■■ off a nettle, it was 11.30 am and I asked him what the problem was, “there’s no work so they’re sending me home” he says. I asked him what time he started that day “6am” was his reply. “Result” I said as we get a guaranteed 10 hours. At this point there’d have been smoke off my soles as I headed to the car park. Not this greedy git though, he cocked about in the wash and generally hung around until 5.30pm when he finally went home! The bit that bemused me was because he’d gone over 10 hours they knock 30 mins break off your pay, so basically he’d spent an extra 6 hours at work in order to gain one hours more pay!

You can’t help stupid sometimes!

If you’re paid minimum 5 hours, and you get sent home six hours in - then you’re gonna moan. I would. That’s five hours pay for six hours of work, plus the commute to fork out for on top. Not good, unless it’s an exceptionally good job with exceptionally high hourly rate (not likely!)

If you’re paid minimum EIGHT hours though? - All you’ll see of me is the door flapping closed. :grimacing: :sunglasses:

Six hours of work for eight hours of pay, and no meal break deducted neither. :stuck_out_tongue:

Has to be said there are some who would moan about having nothing to moan about.

Worst seem to be those who’ve been with the firm since God was in short trousers; but when you ask them why they don’t quit and go somewhere else if it’s that bad, they just look at you gone out.

But on the hours an money thing, if I’ve just done 62 hours or whatever already for that week, and it’s my last day in, (which is the case when I’ve heard them moaning), then I don’t get why you’d not take the chance at that point and be out the door.

Rowley010:
But on the hours an money thing, if I’ve just done 62 hours or whatever already for that week, and it’s my last day in, (which is the case when I’ve heard them moaning), then I don’t get why you’d not take the chance at that point and be out the door.

Maybe because by finishing early on one day wipes out the extra hours you did previous to that of which you thought you’d be getting paid extra for but instead it disappears due to the early finish.
I’m salaried so wouldn’t need telling twice to finish early but can see why it would ■■■■ some off if you worked extra hours with the thought that you’d see extra pounds for it.

Yes. “Banked Hours” and “averaged hours” cover a multitude of sins.

xichrisxi:

Rowley010:

Maybe because by finishing early on one day wipes out the extra hours you did previous to that of which you thought you’d be getting paid extra for but instead it disappears due to the early finish.
I’m salaried so wouldn’t need telling twice to finish early but can see why it would ■■■■ some off if you worked extra hours with the thought that you’d see extra pounds for it.

In my previous job in a supermarket the drivers were on a 4 week pay with I think 190 hours guaranteed. Anything over that paid at overtime. It was a frequent complaint that for the first 2-3 weeks they would be up on hours and then get them clawed back with 6 hour days on week 4.

I can see their point as they have “done” the overtime so to speak. They have done 13-15 hour days with no chance to do anything after work before going in again. In week 4 they have had to sleep ready to do a 13-15 hour day but then to be sent home after 6 meant they could do little at 6-7 in the morning. I think in that case I would be pretty annoyed with it too.

For the record I am salaried so when they told me go after 7.5 hours this morning I was gone :laughing: