Technology

So Friday I gets a company phone thrust in my hand, told that it’s mine and we start using it Monday (I’m off on holiday anyway so won’t be…)

Long and short is that “we’re moving away from paper” and the phone acts as a proof of delivery system etc aswell as doing first checks, vehicle details etc.

I’ve not used anything like that before. I’m only 35 so I can use technology but has anyone have any experience of such a system? After using paper for so long is it easy to switch to?

toonsy:
Long and short is that “we’re moving away from paper” ?

Hope they don’t apply that to the toilets :laughing: . Is it an iPhone? I have to have a work iPad. It’s not for road haulage deliveries so can’t help there. Mixed feelings about it. We’re allowed to use it for personal stuff but it’s a monitored device. There’s an app on it that allows them to access the thing including cameras etc. I’ve taped up the cameras and microphone and when not at work turn off location services :laughing:

As long as they don’t start deducting pay for not receiving emails etc

Freight Dog:

toonsy:

Hope they don’t apply that to the toilets :laughing: . Is it an iPhone? I have to have a work iPad. It’s not for road haulage deliveries so can’t help there. Mixed feelings about it. We’re allowed to use it for personal stuff but it’s a monitored device. There’s an app on it that allows them to access the thing including cameras etc. I’ve taped up the cameras and microphone and when not at work turn off location services :laughing:

It’s a Caterpillar phone running on Android so I can’t even throw it to break it as it’s supposed to be ultra shockproof :laughing:

toonsy:

Freight Dog:

toonsy:

It’s a Caterpillar phone running on Android so I can’t even throw it to break it as it’s supposed to be ultra shockproof :laughing:

After “falling” from your top pocket I bet it’s not flush proof…mine wasn’t.

toonsy:

Yeah, bet it’s not tyre proof though :laughing:

Bet it isn’t even driver proof :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

We recently started getting all our work sent to our cab phones via an app called edriver and in my opinion it’s been a disaster. We complete a job, clear it from the screen and another one is supposed to be uploaded alleviating the need to constantly ring in. It just hasn’t worked at all. We still have to ring in but instead of giving us the job details whilst we’re talking to him he makes us wait until he’s uploaded it to the phone so something that was supposed to streamline the process now takes twice as long. Not only that, half of the cradles in our trucks are broken or none existent so actually seeing the phone is a drama in itself never mind what’s written on it.

We had these bloody i pad thingies on the cars, utter pain in the arse.
Yours probably has a printer in the thing too (ours did, but i managed never once to use it :wink: ), so you give the customer a till receipt not even as good quality as the one you get from the bloody poundshop for a quarter million £worth of goods :unamused: .

I love it when they say we’re going paperless/computerised, the paperwork/box ticking faff and people to admin the system in my experience double, still there’s another sunbed in Barbados filled, by the geezer who sold your mob this crap :laughing:

Juddian:
We had these bloody i pad thingies on the cars, utter pain in the arse.
Yours probably has a printer in the thing too (ours did, but i managed never once to use it :wink: ), so you give the customer a till receipt not even as good quality as the one you get from the bloody poundshop for a quarter million £worth of goods :unamused: .

I love it when they say we’re going paperless/computerised, the paperwork/box ticking faff and people to admin the system in my experience double, still there’s another sunbed in Barbados filled, by the geezer who sold your mob this crap :laughing:

Paperless :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: We still need to keep paper records …Tachos we need to keep a paper copy of the certificate for VOSA even though it’s on the computer and we can print it anytime it may be required …

If they’ve coordinated with customers it should all be fine, if not you’ll find a hell of a lot of places refuse to sign it and won’t take anything other than a paper POD and you’ll have to write one out with all the details. Bane of my life when we used them at Roadways.