Memorable vehicles

you know when you first drive a particular vehicle/truck/whatever and you werent expecting it but it just seems right, it never holds back on you ,its slick and maybe its worn but its like old comfy shoes and you always remember it no matter how many youve driven since . what one holds the memorys for you ? how did you say goodbye to it .

I remember. … her name was Andrea. Blew my mind.

(Not just my mind)

My first car…an ■■■■■■ van.
Paid for with giros,as I was working on the side back then :wink:
If that van could talk :smiley:
Had it ten years,before scrapping it for a tenner

Cars?
BMW635. Manual dog leg box…Just did whatever you asked of it. Steering was such you only had to think about a curve and itd go around it. Comfortable. Huge boot. Very quick. But it hated being driven slowly and was addicted to petrol pumps. Bikes? Honda VFR 750. Great sports bike, but was getting too hard on my old back and knees. Ive recently got a PanEuropean and although I havent put many miles on it yet, it does already have a "feel" to it. Trucks? Volvo F88 290. Great tool in its day.
But what I still miss every working day is my last truck. 480 DAF SSC. Once the leaking head problem was sorted it as good for 900k before it was sold. Good comfortable cab. Loads of space, not noisy, not bouncy, not cold ndraughty. Excellent 16 speed box. Good steering. Excellent retarder, plus exhauster and good service brakes.
I`d have it back tomorrow given a choice. Not a perfect truck, but better to drive than what followed.

My old 2800 DAF…she went on forever and ever…pulled any weight…ran through very hot or extremely cold weathers, everything worked, used no oil/water, was comfortable too a very reliable machine.

I got myself a new job in 2007, 2 trips a week to Holland. 144 530 left ■■■■■■, it had around 900,000km on the clock, was expecting a bit of a nail, run down, but bearable.

Imagebillynomates.jpg
Until then, id had around 7 brand new motors, including a brand new 143 and a 144, but I was blown away by this, it was the most comfortable, best pulling, best driving, best everything to be honest, then the boss got it painted, and it was transformed. I still haven’t had a better motor since, and I’m now on around 10 brand new trucks. This one set the standard and hasn’t been beaten. Thou I nearly ended up with an S650 a few months ago, I think that maybe would’ve taken the crown from this

17098373_368899790160697_8727352277660628461_n.jpg

Two!

My old lorry. A Scania 113. Really nasty to live in as it was quite old then but it was dead easy to drive

My old 1992 BMW 325i. Got it for £800. It ran for ten years. The head gasket went, it carried on for two years with a bit of sealer in the coolant. What sealed it’s fate was clutch release bearing went and then I was made redundant. Went to scrap yard on the back of a truck :open_mouth: . Despite logic was a sad day. Loads of memories in it. Mind you, got £120 in scrap, and sold the NI plate for £250 :laughing: . Wasn’t even a private plate! The car that kept on giving :smiley: . Wish women were the same…

truckyboy:
My old 2800 DAF…she went on forever and ever…pulled any weight…ran through very hot or extremely cold weathers, everything worked, used no oil/water, was comfortable too a very reliable machine.

Haulfast (Carryfast ) Dewsbury had a fleet of them…we borrowed them on occasion…fantastic motors :smiley:

the first artic that was ‘mine’, SedAtki 400,YRP 64S. had better motors since,but i loved that truck,Gardner 180,DB box etc…
easily pleased back then :laughing:

Bike…

Suzuki DR125 the only bike I’ve ever ridden legal on the road. At the weekend I could put my wellies on and go just about anywhere off road on it. I sold it after a Jag driver nearly sliced my leg off and drove on in broad day light without ever having seen me.

Car… BMW 750iL. Smoother than Silky the silkworm in his silk pyjamas. A drivers seat more comfy than some trucks I’ve driven, proper A/C none of this climate control bollox, a superb sound system, the ability to make a few sports car look silly and (if I behaved myself) nearly 27 to the gallon which wasn’t bad for a V12. There’s something about a big fat German autobhan crusier that appeals to me.

Truck… I can’t pick one. So I’m gonna cheat and have two. For smoothness and sheer driving pleasure it has to be the Volvo F12. Never come across a clutch and steering that felt so comfortable not back then and not since. To live in for long periods of time (3 months once) the DAF super space cab 480. So much room to store all your kit, a big wide bed and a fair amount of grunt from the motor.

yourhavingalarf:
Bike…
There’s something about a big fat German autobhan crusier that appeals to me.

You are still talking vehicles right? :laughing: :wink:

Car
My current second car a G reg 1989 Ex BT Ford ■■■■■■ estate 1.3l 5 speed (yellow) Brought last year for £430 :blush: and I have already spent at least treble that on her in welding, parts and a 1.4 CVH engine :open_mouth: fun as heck to drive on country lanes but not a motorway mile muncher as she only has 59hp :frowning:

Truck
1992 J reg last of proper Seddons (before Iveco took them over ) 6 wheeled dust cart with an Alison box and Norba back , working for Worthing BC , if you tried to turn out of a road at any more than sails pace you’ll keep going forward and once I was coming to the Ham/ Brougham road lights as they changed tried to brake but just sailed on through lights :open_mouth:

Bike: BSA A65L

Car: I’m having two here… MKII Vauxhall Cavalier GLS (Y reg) and Citroen BXTD (G reg)

Truck: Merc SK 1635

7.5tonne Bedford tk, with duple coach axle, gearbox and straight 6… good for 75mph (Speedo reading) wouldn’t stop tho.

Bike Yamaha FZR1000 exup L reg

Car BMW 320i C reg

Lorry Scania 470 opticruise Irish 07 plate

For all the wrong reasons , the first artic I drove …Sudden Accident 401, 290 ■■■■■■■ with a 9 speed box ( roadranger ?), and water ■■■■■■ in the front screen at the top right where you looked through and ran down the window in a constant stream, also just by your left leg along with a cold draught . The brakes when bob tailing were horrendous and always locked up at the back too , and yet they were crap when fully loaded.
But at least is wasn’t restricted !

My problem is I’ve kept them ,well most of them :laughing:

back in the 80s i was a car mechanic and 2 cars from that time have stuck in my mind . 1- a Fiat Panda ,had to pull its engine out prior to scrapping car,so first off i cut the top rad hose using a long kebab knife. the car immediately gasped an orrible AAARGH noise,as if id cut its throat!
2- a merc 190 diesel. i sat inside it engine switched off thumbing thru its service book and heard something . not a noise like a scrabbling mouse ,just a dull thud . About a minute later another noise,not the same,but similar.Noises reminded me of someone stacking books on the back seat-i whipped round, nobody there . At that point i sensed this car had something creepy in its past .

corij:
back in the 80s i was a car mechanic and 2 cars from that time have stuck in my mind . 1- a Fiat Panda ,had to pull its engine out prior to scrapping car,so first off i cut the top rad hose using a long kebab knife. the car immediately gasped an orrible AAARGH noise,as if id cut its throat!
2- a merc 190 diesel. i sat inside it engine switched off thumbing thru its service book and heard something . not a noise like a scrabbling mouse ,just a dull thud . About a minute later another noise,not the same,but similar.Noises reminded me of someone stacking books on the back seat-i whipped round, nobody there . At that point i sensed this car had something creepy in its past .

Merc Diesel from the 80`s ? Probably still earning a living as a taxi somewhere!

Bike: 1998 Yamaha R1 (red n white)

Car: well, gotta have 2. Back in the day I was a ford man so would be my 1988 V6 Sierra XR4x4 but these days love BMW (on my 7th lol) so probably the E46 330i sport touring I had for 3 years but currently got an E92 330d which is superb so quickly becoming my favourite car ever.

Trucks: Gotta be the P reg actros 1840 I got given when it was about 2 years old. After the p cabbed 320 113’s i started on the larger cab and 400bhp made me feel like I’d ‘made it’ [emoji23]