Short quiz..............

Revenge is sweet!

So… pulls in to a yard to get loaded with 20 odd pallets of kitchen towels.

I opened the curtains to find that the driver who had had the trailer before me had stowed the internal straps at the front, between the main bulkhead and the glass fibre deflector, out of the way.

As I go to climb onto the trailer I’m shouted at by the forkie that I’m not allowed to do that… H&S Guv… before accessing trailer it needs hand rails and I need to be wearing hi-Vis, hard hat, white socks, bollo#, bollo#, etc, etc, etc.

Knowing that you can’t argue with Job’s Worths I shrug resignedly and sit in the cab to have a coffee while they finish. (I suppose I should be grateful that they allowed me into my own cab!)

Forkie finishes and I’m told that I am clear to leave.

‘Can’t mate.’

‘Why not?’

‘You wouldn’t allow me to get the straps from the front there. I need those straps to secure the load and this lorry doesn’t move one inch until that load is secure to my satisfaction. Your call!’

I’ll leave what happened from there to yourselves and see who can get closest to what actually happened!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Forkie went ■■■■■■■ and you replied with…

.youtube.com/watch?v=z4uivPpzCGo

:grimacing:

Win-Stone:
Revenge is sweet!

I opened the curtains to find that the driver who had had the trailer before me had stowed the internal straps at the front, between the main bulkhead and the glass fibre deflector, out of the way.

As I go to climb onto the trailer I’m shouted at by the forkie that I’m not allowed to do that… H&S Guv… before accessing trailer it needs hand rails and I need to be wearing hi-Vis, hard hat, white socks, bollo#, bollo#, etc, etc, etc.

Knowing that you can’t argue with Job’s Worths I shrug resignedly and sit in the cab to have a coffee while they finish. (I suppose I should be grateful that they allowed me into my own cab!)

‘Can’t mate.’

‘Why not?’

‘You wouldn’t allow me to get the straps from the front there. I need those straps to secure the load and this lorry doesn’t move one inch until that load is secure to my satisfaction. Your call!’

I’ll leave what happened from there to yourselves and see who can get closest to what actually happened!

The forkie sees the light and says sorry driver jump up on the booms and I will left you up, so up you go and then the manager comes out and says driver were is your hi vise, he says you have to get down you can’t be up there without it, you say but its not my fault the formidable lifted me up
So the forkie gets sacked you get a pat on the back for reporting the forkie and get loaded

Forkie lifted you on a pallet to required height whilst saying ‘dont Fall off for ■■■■■ sake or I will get the sack”
‘■■■■■■■ smart arsed drivers”

I know if it was me, I would sit there all day if need be until they off loaded the product and reloaded it after fishing my internals out.

But I suspect I may be a little more belligerent than most on here :wink:

"Win-Stone:

WTF :confused: :confused: Its your own trailer and youre told you cant access it without handrails■■? Total H&S bollox…

Win-Stone:
Revenge is sweet

When… the jobsworth decides to swop your run around at 1pm friday, telling you to go to another drop to collect the empties, then take the truck for service and he will pick me up in their car (who’s run I’m now covering). Ok says me, so I arrive at the new drop at 2pm, only to be told by the gatehouse the empties won’t be ready until 4-5pm, bearing in mind I started at 5am, it’s an hour+ to the dealers and the same to the yard & I don’t have any 15’s left. So I txt the office to inform them my predicament. Much Dozy style Friday discussion ensues. The Office swear I’ve only worked 2 shifts this week Mon & Weds, despite having worked the rest of this week & finishing at 19:15 Thursday and taking 9 off before this shift.
Finally I get away from the drop and make it to the dealers at 6pm and txt the other driver to come pick me up, knowing he’s no inclination to do so, he’s adamant I either take the truck back to the yard or get a loan car from the dealers to make my own way back. However I’m aware he finished at 4pm, just got out the bath, is suited & booted ready for the pub. Yeah I know he’s pulled a fast one for an early finish, & spoiled my Friday night in the process.
I dig my heels in and get him to reluctantly come and get me, and take me to the yard to recover my car to get myself home.

It appears his plan for an early finish & pub backfired

Win-Stone:
Revenge is sweet!

‘Can’t mate.’
‘Why not?’

Well done for standing up or yourself and showing some balls, but I would’ve said, I can’t get the straps to secure the load, then don’t load it!!

Had to return a failed delivery today. The reaction on the phone gave me the impression that the office was trying to blame me.

Oh dear. ■■■■■■■ me off is never a good idea… :sunglasses:

eagerbeaver:
I know if it was me, I would sit there all day if need be until they off loaded the product and reloaded it after fishing my internals out.

But I suspect I may be a little more belligerent than most on here :wink:

8 out of 10!

The forkie was shouting and calling me all the names under the sun but I just sat in the cab (turning up the radio to drown out the noise), had another coffee, and waited. After about 45 minutes a manager came out to see what all the row was about.

We both gave the manager our side of the argument and ‘for H&S reasons’ the manager backed the forkie – and wandered back to his office.

About 30 minutes later he came back out: he’d finally realised that I wasn’t kidding when I said I refused to move (I found out after that he’d rung my Boss – who backed me 100%! As the Boss said, it’s not just a case of 'It’s the driver’s licence, it’s also a case of potential damage to the trailer! Good Boss, see) at which point the forkie was instructed to lift off the front pallet (he had to move practically all the pallets on the off side [shame :smiley: ] at which point I was ‘allowed’ to climb up and get the internals out.

Drives 1
Forkies 0

H&S… play the B#stards at their own game! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just a thought, but why not prep trailer before arrival. Or open the back doors while the curtains are closed? It is lame to blame the driver before you. Lots of companies have a ban on climbing up the sides of trailers. There is a reason for this, and that is because so many lardy frickin drivers fall off them, and then the hapless company has an H&S inspection and possible fine for allowing such bad practice on its premises.

Janos:
Just a thought, but why not prep trailer before arrival. Or open the back doors while the curtains are closed? It is lame to blame the driver before you. Lots of companies have a ban on climbing up the sides of trailers. There is a reason for this, and that is because so many lardy frickin drivers fall off them, and then the hapless company has an H&S inspection and possible fine for allowing such bad practice on its premises.

+1 only yourself at fault

The driver is meant to present his vehicle/trailer in a fit and ready state to load.
You could quite easily have opened back doors, accessed the trailer via the ladder, and moved the straps to back of trailer…

But still good work for standing your ground about the elf’s with safety hats.

AndrewG:

"Win-Stone:

WTF :confused: :confused: Its your own trailer and youre told you cant access it without handrails■■? Total H&S bollox…

[/quote]
Driver was a visitor to their site. They have a responsibility to ensure he works safely as they can be held responsible for an accident on their site.

That’s the UK, I bet your pleased your in Spain!

kcrussell25:

AndrewG:

"Win-Stone:

Driver was a visitor to their site. They have a responsibility to ensure he works safely as they can be held responsible for an accident on their site.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Quite so.
Falling off a trailer in a yard with personnel is a problem.
If the driver fell off the trailer in a dark deserted layby before entering the yard there would be no problem of course.

Franglais:

kcrussell25:

AndrewG:

"Win-Stone:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Quite so.
Falling off a trailer in a yard with personnel is a problem.
If the driver fell off the trailer in a dark deserted layby before entering the yard there would be no problem of course.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Definitely not :smiley: drivers problem then :smiley:

I would say that forkie was as bothered about the op going on the trailer as I was about what drivers did when I received deliveries at my old job. It wasn’t them doing wrong which was the problem.

I was worried about me being caught seeing them break a policy that would then leave me liable to disciplinary action for failure to prevent the unsafe occurrence. I was not about to put my job at risk to make a drivers life easier. Juwt as a driver now I wouldn’t ask someone to break their site rules for me.

I have only done fridges so don’t know about curtains but it sounds like the op has had another option and chosen not to take it. Error on his part I have to say

Janos:

I’m sorry, but that is an uladulterated pile of bull sh#t.

Prep the trailer. How?

1/. How am I supposed to know how high the pallets I’m collecting are? After all, the height of the load dictates how long the straps need to be to work correctly.

2/. Even if I ‘prep the trailer before arrival’, all the straps will hang in the middle. (Bearing in mind 1 above)
Now, I am nearer seven foot tall than not, but even I, stretching to my utmost, couldn’t possibly reach the straps when they’re in the middle.

So how on earth are you supposed to 'prep the trailer?

Like I said… bull sh#t

I used to have a similar issue loading salt out of Ineos at Runcorn. The way I ended up ’ prepping ’ the trailer was to fish the straps out in the yard prior to arriving there, and I left them all at the back doors of the trailer.

eagerbeaver:
I used to have a similar issue loading salt out of Ineos at Runcorn. The way I ended up ’ prepping ’ the trailer was to fish the straps out in the yard prior to arriving there, and I left them all at the back doors of the trailer.

Which is fine if you know in advance how long the straps need to be… but…

Win-Stone:

eagerbeaver:

Which is fine if you know in advance how long the straps need to be… but…

Yep, agreed :wink: I also used to do Quinn glass at Elton.

Bit of an easy one that, they let you on your trailer through the back doors using their wheeled steps. The first time I went there I deliberately took ages sorting them out so that it ■■■■■■ their lad’s off so much they told me to get down and they would be quicker loading the wagon themselves.

Lol. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Never ended up strapping a load there after that :laughing: