Taking your children with you

Just following on from something Adonis said in another thread took me back to my childhood and the times I went with my dad to work in his wagon.

Now I don’t know about anyone else but for me that’s what got me into the whole driving game because I enjoyed it so much. I remember having a meltdown because my dad’s boss caught me in the wagon and I thought he was going to get sacked but I got a wage packet instead!

Thing is I’d love to take my lad for a day and I know he would love it and wants to come but whike my firm would probably allow it some sites I might deliver to wouldn’t which is sad because that’s the next generation right there being deprived of a job that I fell in love with then went in to as an adult.

Sadly H and S have another hollow victory to chalk up. I remember wee hurls in my uncle"s lorry back in the 60s.

H & S bs indeed.
Remember being with the brother in a chemical factory in Dublin.Fire alarm went off,and myself and my friend had to abandon ship,and leave the site…in our school uniforms,and with schoolbags!
Not an eye was batted as we walked with staff etc outside!
Having said that,when kids would have been seen sitting on sides of forklifts,using handling equipment etc.,surely some personal responsibility has to come into play?

All my 4 kids have travelled all over UK and Euro with me (one at a time :smiley: )
I’m pleased the 2 lads did not follow me into this job because of it,…although they both wanted to at one time.
The 2 girls also loved it, they used their experiences in Class discussions at school, and were always the ones that had done something different to the rest.
It also gave me a chance to see my kids more and we always had a good laugh . I miss it now they are all grown up.
Any sites that did not allow passengers they hid in the bunk with partition curtains drawn, on their Play station that I set up in there for them, or watching a dvd.

I used to go with my dad all the time. Some places I had to wait at the gatehouse. If we were in a truck with a bunk I’d just hide there.
Although I do remember one time the warehouse man gave me a dead bird in a bag…dad wasn’t too impressed.
Also remember having both cab doors open on a windy day…all the paperwork just took off. No danger I was going to be able to catch it all!

It 100% made me want to drive tho

It’s what got me into the job too,couple of school holidays out with the old man.
I don’t think the bigger companies allow it anymore.
One I’m with certainly doesn’t due to insurance and h&s.

My little uns had a whale of a time out and about with me (only one at a time mind), including sitting in the cab of the compactors when i was on tip work with the friendly machine drivers and crushing the landfill in, they enjoyed that, bloody H&S would have a meltdown now, and not a hi vis to be seen anywhere.
Other drivers would always pull their leg at the cafe, the lads loved it.

It’s different now, the kids maybe wouldn’t benefit from a grounding now because there arn’t the same basics to learn any more, i’m talking more the loading methods roping and sheeting and general driver cameraderie that has now almost disappeared.

Drivers at our place are not allowed anymore,usual story,insurance

I remember learning lots of new swear words early one morning when my old fella thought he’d got in front of all the Asda trucks going up scotch on the A68,then he looked across the other side of the hills and there they were, :smiley:

No issue at my place you can bring a passenger out if you like. There’s a few kids who are regulars whenever they’re on holiday from school.

My lot are alright with it but my 2 aren’t all that interested anymore. My lad will come with me but only on day runs.
My dad didn’t do a lot of trucking although did do a Middle East run once but I do remember going with him when he did the odd run in the uk. I think it was this that made me want to do it right from an early age. The fact the haulage industry ■■■■■ themselves about kids going out truckin for the day has brought on the alleged driver shortage and caused them problems.
Also, as youngsters we learnt all about the job by watching our (mostly) dads so when we started out we had half an idea of what the job entailed. These days we are getting people that just end up doing it because they get the chance of a ‘free licence’ and see it as a way to earn a living, nothing more nothing less! Not saying they’re wrong and those of us that see it as a little more (a way of life) but having an interest in your job is always going to make you better at it, no?

The seven year old got his bag packed for Monday his favourite run up to Scotland from Worcestershire he loves it been doing nights out since four ,he even likes a bit of cab cooking and the constant chatting great ,he’s told me gaffer my next motor got to have twin bunks so happy trucking lads n lasses

I was told that many years ago a tipper driver at one of our companies depots took his grandson with him but wasn’t allowed to take his truck into the loading area with the lad on board so he left him at the garage. The lad wandered around and fell over some scrap metal etc, broke his neck and died. I went everywhere with my old chap back in the fifties and sixties during the school holidays but when I finished driving in 2002 we couldn’t even take a dog with us.

Pete.

Going back 12/13 years ago, I used to go with my dad. A week at a time, just doing UK, I loved it. Great bonding time with me ol pa and I got to see parts of the country I did not know even exsisted. Brilliant times we had

toonsy:
Just following on from something Adonis said in another thread took me back to my childhood and the times I went with my dad to work in his wagon.

Now I don’t know about anyone else but for me that’s what got me into the whole driving game because I enjoyed it so much. I remember having a meltdown because my dad’s boss caught me in the wagon and I thought he was going to get sacked but I got a wage packet instead!

Thing is I’d love to take my lad for a day and I know he would love it and wants to come but whike my firm would probably allow it some sites I might deliver to wouldn’t which is sad because that’s the next generation right there being deprived of a job that I fell in love with then went in to as an adult.

Sounds like your dad had a great boss
I was out with my father at every opportunity. Sadly insurance and health and safety put a stop to it nowadays

I’m going to look into Euro work soon, with the intension of Mrs Donkey coming with me regularly.

harrawaffa:
No issue at my place you can bring a passenger out if you like. There’s a few kids who are regulars whenever they’re on holiday from school.

I spent almost all my school holidays going out in the truck during the week, getting up at 5-6am when I was off school seems crazy now :smiley:

My boy used to come away with me all the time.

Probably the best trip we did was to Italy, we were weekended at a MSA in Switzerland and on the Sunday we walked about a mile then got a cable car up the mountain and had lunch in the restaurant at the summit. He made a very small snowman which amused him because it was in his Summer school holiday.

Harry Monk:
My boy used to come away with me all the time.

Probably the best trip we did was to Italy, we were weekended at a MSA in Switzerland and on the Sunday we walked about a mile then got a cable car up the mountain and had lunch in the restaurant at the summit. He made a very small snowman which amused him because it was in his Summer school holiday.

Tsk Tsk. … driving whilst wearing a hi-viz■■?

(Seriously though, great picture of a kid enjoying some quality time with dad…)

nomiS36:
The fact the haulage industry [zb] themselves about kids going out truckin for the day has brought on the alleged driver shortage and caused them problems.
Also, as youngsters we learnt all about the job by watching our (mostly) dads so when we started out we had half an idea of what the job entailed. These days we are getting people that just end up doing it because they get the chance of a ‘free licence’ and see it as a way to earn a living, nothing more nothing less.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This 10 fold.