Interactive cruise control?

Anyone using it and is it helpful, the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boris1971:
Anyone using it and is it helpful, the future?

“Interactive” ?

ACC Active Cruise Control, OK. Used it but not a fan.
PCC Predictive Cruise Control, which is ACC plus a contour mapping feature? I`ve heard of, but not used.
Is ICC another variety again?

This is only my opinion.

Another step towards taking vehicle control away from the driver, yes it works (both active and predictive), but our intrepid driver sits there vegetating ever more into a zombified state, having little more to do other than steer the bloody thing, which of course is next on the list of gradual interference until the machine actually takes over.

Now this is all very well, but until full automation (decades away) arrives then each of these steps takes away more of the everyday skills our driver hones over many years.
Whilst everything is working and there are no emergencies, all this move to utopia is fine, but when an emergency happens everything changes in an instant, and our vegetating driver is suddenly called on to make split second decisions and take immediate action , and it has to be the right reactions because many lives can depend on the driver at that second.

Yes i’m old fashioned, but when that crap hits the fan, i want someone who has feel for his vehicle, has been driving it learning it’s foibles knows instinctively what is happening at the wheels, has been monitoring traffic all around and deciding on the evidence of his mk1 eyeball and his years of experience what a suitable speed travelling distance etc should be, someone who can tell where the the weight is situated on the vehicle and how the vehicle is likely to respond to any given sudden inputs to steering and or braking.
Now i’ll be happy sitting beside that driver when the crap hits the fan.
A bloody sight happier than relying on someone who’s only input has been steering whilst the vehicle electronics have been doing the rest of the job for several years.

That predictive cruise is the one that reads the topography and cuts power allowing the vehicle to slow down before the top of summit so it can free wheel (much to the annoyance of lorries following), though we call it ecoroll :unamused: , down the other side with the geartrain disconnected from the engine.
It works, but i fail to see any fuel usage improvements on previous vehicles that were driven properly.

Not sure of the technical name, it depends who you are talking too, but it slows down when u get to a set distance and speeds up automaticaly when distance increases. Good thing??

Boris1971:
Not sure of the technical name, it depends who you are talking too, but it slows down when u get to a set distance and speeds up automaticaly when distance increases. Good thing??

ACC.

Im not a fan of it. As Juddian explained very eloquently it does nothing that a competent driver cant do, (and do better) but it`s over use prevents a driver becoming competent.

Juddian:
This is only my opinion.

Another step towards taking vehicle control away from the driver, yes it works (both active and predictive), but our intrepid driver sits there vegetating ever more into a zombified state, having little more to do other than steer the bloody thing, which of course is next on the list of gradual interference until the machine actually takes over.

Now this is all very well, but until full automation (decades away) arrives then each of these steps takes away more of the everyday skills our driver hones over many years.
Whilst everything is working and there are no emergencies, all this move to utopia is fine, but when an emergency happens everything changes in an instant, and our vegetating driver is suddenly called on to make split second decisions and take immediate action , and it has to be the right reactions because many lives can depend on the driver at that second.

Yes i’m old fashioned, but when that crap hits the fan, i want someone who has feel for his vehicle, has been driving it learning it’s foibles knows instinctively what is happening at the wheels, has been monitoring traffic all around and deciding on the evidence of his mk1 eyeball and his years of experience what a suitable speed travelling distance etc should be, someone who can tell where the the weight is situated on the vehicle and how the vehicle is likely to respond to any given sudden inputs to steering and or braking.
Now i’ll be happy sitting beside that driver when the crap hits the fan.
A bloody sight happier than relying on someone who’s only input has been steering whilst the vehicle electronics have been doing the rest of the job for several years.

That predictive cruise is the one that reads the topography and cuts power allowing the vehicle to slow down before the top of summit so it can free wheel (much to the annoyance of lorries following), though we call it ecoroll :unamused: , down the other side with the geartrain disconnected from the engine.
It works, but i fail to see any fuel usage improvements on previous vehicles that were driven properly.

What a fantastic post nice one

I agree,but time moves on[emoji15]. I have skills to go out hunting and skin a wild beast in case the supermarkets can’t supply my weekly grub[emoji487][emoji490]., but joking aside,is it natural progression that will we will think in a few years that why would we drive a truck without it and may stop drivers ploughing into vehicles in front??

Boris1971:
I agree,but time moves on[emoji15]. I have skills to go out hunting and skin a wild beast in case the supermarkets can’t supply my weekly grub[emoji487][emoji490]., but joking aside,is it natural progression that will we will think in a few years that why would we drive a truck without it and may stop drivers ploughing into vehicles in front??

Change doesnt necessarily equate to progress. And ACC is not anti-collision technology. (AEBS). It maybe uses the same sensors, but were talking different systems.

Boris1971:

No. It just disengages a driver from the real world. See the link for an accident I attended where adaptive cruise control/collision detection software didn’t save the day.

google.co.uk/amp/s/www.birm … 344819.amp

I’m fortunate my 63 plate Scania hasn’t got it, just normal cruise. But on motors which do have it I don’t use it

toonsy:

Boris1971:

No. It just disengages a driver from the real world. See the link for an accident I attended where adaptive cruise control/collision detection software didn’t save the day.

I’m fortunate my 63 plate Scania hasn’t got it, just normal cruise. But on motors which do have it I don’t use it

Your first sentence sums up so much of what is wrong with the current direction, well said :sunglasses:

I’m unsure what to do about switching this junk off.
Will it be like the current hysteria over mobile phones where because you were using a perfectly legal phone you will be somehow to blame for an accident, even though you are actually blameless?
Will a lorry driver by switching off lane departure or adaptive/predictive cruise and/or auto braking be automatically in the wrong if a shunt happens when our driver is otherwise to any normal person blameless?
More to the point, is it even possible to switch off the terrain predictive/distance cruise and still use the normal cruise function on all lorries, or are some at least defaulting to big brother standard.

Captain Caveman mentioned this aspect in another thread, will we spend more time switching this ■■■■■■■■ off than anything else in pre drive checks as time goes by :unamused:

Juddian:

toonsy:

Boris1971:

Your first sentence sums up so much of what is wrong with the current direction, well said :sunglasses:

Will it be like the current hysteria over mobile phones where because you were using a perfectly legal phone you will be somehow to blame for an accident, even though you are actually blameless?
Will a lorry driver by switching off lane departure or adaptive/predictive cruise and/or auto braking be automatically in the wrong if a shunt happens when our driver is otherwise to any normal person blameless?
More to the point, is it even possible to switch off the terrain predictive/distance cruise and still use the normal cruise function on all lorries, or are some at least defaulting to big brother standard.

Captain Caveman mentioned this aspect in another thread, will we spend more time switching this ■■■■■■■■ off than anything else in pre drive checks as time goes by :unamused:

On the Mercs you can turn the terrain bit off by unselecting ecoroll & ppc.
You can also turn off the adaptive/predictive cruise too, and just have normal cruise but the system will flash up a warning message if/when it senses something ahead going slower than you are.

In my place now, all vehicles have ACC, Lane Departure Warnings and close proximity warning alarms, if you switch them off at anytime, it’s a disciplinary.

Certainly produces steeringwheel attendants and not drivers

Sapper

Isn’t ‘adaptive cruise control’ just a glorified/electronic equivalent of something called ‘an acceletator pedal’?

It has its positives and its negatives.

The positives are pretty much basically when going through speed restricted roadworks like M1 around Nottingham or M6 J16-19 or following a mate. Stick it on, happy days. Definitely less stressful in the speed restricted roadworks.

Negative is if you’re driving down the road and not paying attention you can look down at your speedo and realise that instead of doing the 56MPH you were expecting you’re either doing 52MPH if you’re behind a Maritime motor or 50MPH if you’re behind a Sainsbury’s. Because the speed decrease is gradual you may not even notice it. Also when climbing a hill and you’re catching a motor in front of you if you forget you’ve got it on it activates, you lose all momentum then that motor you were catching disappears ahead of you into the distance.

Lets put it this way, I don’t know of a driver at our place who when they set off turn off both that and the lane change warning. With me its got to being a reflex action, put in drive, take off park brake, turn off ACC and lane change.

Juddian:
That predictive cruise is the one that reads the topography and cuts power allowing the vehicle to slow down before the top of summit so it can free wheel (much to the annoyance of lorries following), though we call it ecoroll :unamused:

What lorry is this on? They have Ecoroll on the DAFs but it doesn’t kick in until you’re on overrun so only kicks in once you’re going downhill and I can only assume the reason for that is so that you can go faster and travel further once you stop descending without using engine power.

Juddian:

toonsy:

Boris1971:

When I was working for the company involved in that accident in the link they took it their solicitors who suggested that if such safety aids were fitted and over ridden and someone was involved in an incident the penalties would be more severe.

toonsy:

Juddian:

toonsy:

Boris1971:

When I was working for the company involved in that accident in the link they took it their solicitors who suggested that if such safety aids were fitted and over ridden and someone was involved in an incident the penalties would be more severe.

Really? I had the mis-fortune to drive a DAF XF recently (I hate PMIs) and, when you started it up there was a notice came up on the dash about all the electronic cr@p [lane Departure; adaptive this; adaptive that; adjustable toilet, yadda, yadda, yadda] in which it stated that (and I admit I’m paraphrasing) “Please be aware that if you leave it all on, YOU are still responsible if there is an accident!”

In other words… YOU are the driver. It’s YOUR responsibility.

(Begs the question of why all this cr#p is fitted. Don’t it.)

Yeah of course the driver is still responsible. That doesn’t change. What the solicitors said is that the likelihood is that if something happens and a driver has turned off all the supposed aids it’s likely the sentence or punishment would be more severe because a conscious decision was made to disable them.

toonsy:
Yeah of course the driver is still responsible. That doesn’t change. What the solicitors said is that the likelihood is that if something happens and a driver has turned off all the supposed aids it’s likely the sentence or punishment would be more severe because a conscious decision was made to disable them.

I had an idea that would be the norm.

So in icy weather, our sooper dooper mobile bloody computer suddenly decides it ‘sees’ an impending crash so chucks the anchors which causes the crash, and the driver is to blame, penalty X number of points and Y fine, but if our driver turns it off and still has a prang it’s X+% points Y+% fine.
Sounds about right, damned if you do and damned if you don’t

toonsy:

Did you read what I wrote? …

Anyway, to summarise: If you DO turn it all off, and have an accident, then the Leeches (sorry, Solicitors) reason that as the driver, you’re responsible.

Alternately, if you DON’T turn it all off, and have an accident, then the Leeches reason that as the driver, you’re responsible.

Basically, what-ever happens… you’re f#cked!!

:sunglasses: