Johnny Foreigner in need of help

Well today I was heading back to our depot on the slip road J36 M62, chucking it down with rain and saw a draw bar unit broken down with traffic including HGVs flying past him. He was on the drivers side changing his wheel on his own and standing on his make shift breaker bar. One slip and he would have been dead. I drew up behind him to shield him as well as to lend the poor man a hand. Whilst helping him out VOSA pulled up and coned around the drawbar. They just moaned and said he shouldn’t be in the live lane and to move it; what else could he do? he was changing his wheel, give the man a break FFS. He was going to park up at Glews for the night and was on the doorstep as it was. Very unhelpful in my opinion. I take my hat off to this croatian driver for repairing his own wagon. He thanked me for stopping and gave me a can of beer. I found him a nice guy and just thought to myself, how many British drivers would change their own wheel under these testing conditions. Also why was it me that stopped to help whilst the other ignorant drivers just hurtled past.

UKtramp:
Well today I was heading back to our depot on the slip road J36 M62, chucking it down with rain and saw a draw bar unit broken down with traffic including HGVs flying past him. He was on the drivers side changing his wheel on his own and standing on his make shift breaker bar. One slip and he would have been dead. I drew up behind him to shield him as well as to lend the poor man a hand. Whilst helping him out VOSA pulled up and coned around the drawbar. They just moaned and said he shouldn’t be in the live lane and to move it; what else could he do? he was changing his wheel, give the man a break FFS. He was going to park up at Glews for the night and was on the doorstep as it was. Very unhelpful in my opinion. I take my hat off to this croatian driver for repairing his own wagon. He thanked me for stopping and gave me a can of beer. I found him a nice guy and just thought to myself, how many British drivers would change their own wheel under these testing conditions. Also why was it me that stopped to help whilst the other ignorant drivers just hurtled past.

Cheers for that, Aldridge.

A.

:unamused:

You hero :unamused:

UKtramp:

Never happened :unamused:

You forgot to begin with ‘Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin’ :wink:

switchlogic:
You forgot to begin with ‘Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin’ :wink:

Or “Once upon a time…”, like most fairy tales begin :laughing:

A.

UKtramp:

Gotta pick the bones out of this:: :slight_smile:

He was on the drivers side changing his wheel on his own and standing on his make shift breaker bar. One slip and he would have been dead.

EE wagon,LHD, so if he was on the drivers side he would be near the grass, no danger and if he was how the F did you see him?

Whilst helping him out VOSA pulled up and coned around the drawbar. They just moaned and said he shouldn’t be in the live lane and to move it.

I presume you mean HATO, don’t think DVSA would actually involve themselves with this sort of thing! Live lane, thought he was on the slip road!

I take my hat off to this croatian driver for repairing his own wagon.

Where have you been for the last ■■ years, that’s what the EE drivers do as a norm, because a lot of them don’t have the recovery contracts.

and just thought to myself, how many British drivers would change their own wheel under these testing conditions.

That’s what we used to do all the time, didn’t have the sort of breakdown recovery as we do today;

But in case it did happen many of us still change wheels, BUT 1. I wouldn’t be stupid enough to do it alone beside a live lane 2. Id at least try and drag it off motorway at next junction or services. Being a draw bar it likely had twin wheels making this easier

pierrot 14:

UKtramp:

Gotta pick the bones out of this:: :slight_smile:

He was on the drivers side changing his wheel on his own and standing on his make shift breaker bar. One slip and he would have been dead.

EE wagon,LHD, so if he was on the drivers side he would be near the grass, no danger and if he was how the F did you see him?

Whilst helping him out VOSA pulled up and coned around the drawbar. They just moaned and said he shouldn’t be in the live lane and to move it.

I presume you mean HATO, don’t think DVSA would actually involve themselves with this sort of thing! Live lane, thought he was on the slip road!

I take my hat off to this croatian driver for repairing his own wagon.

Where have you been for the last ■■ years, that’s what the EE drivers do as a norm, because a lot of them don’t have the recovery contracts.

and just thought to myself, how many British drivers would change their own wheel under these testing conditions.

That’s what we used to do all the time, didn’t have the sort of breakdown recovery as we do today;

You missed the “I drew up behind him to shield him” not sure how parking behind him would shield him from anything unless of course he was a real hero and just stopped in Lane one blocking all the traffic :laughing:

Then Superman turned up !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Whats a make shift breaker bar and how would he be dead if he made one slip ■■ wot a load of crap !!

As pierrot 14 mentions, most EE’s dont have tyre contracts and if possible always change their own wheels. Some pay their drivers a small bonus so the incentive is there for doing it, in any case, waiting for a tyre fitter is time lost, far quicker to do it yourself…

AndrewG:
As pierrot 14 mentions, most EE’s dont have tyre contracts and if possible always change their own wheels. Some pay their drivers a small bonus so the incentive is there for doing it, in any case, waiting for a tyre fitter is time lost, far quicker to do it yourself…

Correct, when I worked for Lerosey , we were asked to change wheels and were given €100 if we did. STEF where I work now, it’s a call in to our garage and they do the necessary and a fitter comes out

pierrot 14:

AndrewG:

Correct, when I worked for Lerosey , we were asked to change wheels and were given €100 if we did. STEF where I work now, it’s a call in to our garage and they do the necessary and a fitter comes out

We have all the kit to do it and get 100 proper monies if we do, though I’d still call a tyre man if it was at the side of the motorway. We have the option but most of us will do it if we’re able to. Like switchlogic says, if I had to change it I would be dragging it out the way somewhere, I’ve no qualms about doing it if I’m out of harms way.

A.

youtu.be/3GPZDX9_2oE

Adonis.:

pierrot 14:

AndrewG:

We have all the kit to do it and get 100 proper monies if we do, though I’d still call a tyre man if it was at the side of the motorway. We have the option but most of us will do it if we’re able to. Like switchlogic says, if I had to change it I would be dragging it out the way somewhere, I’ve no qualms about doing it if I’m out of harms way.

A.

We get 60eur, beats sitting around waiting for a tyre cabbage. Drivers get paid, company saves money and time…a no brainer. I dont know any driver at our place who wouldnt do it except the three senoritas inc mine, not being sexist but wouldnt have the physical capabilities…plus the nails could get damaged in the process… :grimacing:

In England no restriction if drivers change wheels at motorway.In France this illegal.

Why all the silly comments constantly from the usual, not saying I am a hero but saying this Croatian driver was the hero. check the picture dates info etc for the csi mob :unamused:

Andrejs:
In England no restriction if drivers change wheels at motorway.In France this illegal.

Your wrong Andrejes. VOSA was going to get him towed off and was giving him grief. In actual fact I myself was astounded at how dangerous it was and even worse thing was that no one gave him room or slowed down.