Side skirts/ lockers

I was asking my fitter today about fitting some side skirts and lockers to my DAF and was thinking I could get our carpenter to makes some up in 12 mm plywood. The fitter was unsure if it would go through a test with ply skirts. I though someone on here may know the answer. ??Cheers.

If theyre fitted securely i dont see any reason why they wouldnt pass a test but…theyre going to be pretty heavy and being wood they’ll surely succumb to rot eventually plus the outer finish being grain wouldnt look anything after painting.
Genuine side skirts are not exactly cheap and if its down to cost there could be another option of 3mm sheet plastic. Strengthened up at the back/ top/sides with lengths of ali angle bonded to the rear will work. You’ll have a far better painted finish as well. Possibly an idea… :bulb:

You could try a nice chipboard wind deflector and catwalk to go with it.

Get some aftermarket fibreglass ones, they’re usually a decent bit cheaper than factory spec ones and are normally moulded from the originals anyway. I currently have some on my motor and you cannot tell the difference at all. They took a little persuasion to fit but that’s hardly a problem if you’re going to hack into them to make space for lockers.

A.

Adonis.:

A.

I found chipboard for the roof deflectors no good mate, it all just flakes ways and rots out…same as chipboard wheel arches…

MDF is better as it is smooth and you can get a glass like finish if you paint it in Wilkinsons Gloss paint.

I’ve always found, old cereal boxes,sticky back plastic works well, and always ask a grown up if you can use the scissors.

Take 4 kitchen roll inners or 6 depending on size…lay them on the ground…ground needs to be level…lay some cardboard on the top, for the sides you need 9 empty cereal packets, 3 for each end and the back…next mix up some paper mache…and spread it evenly over the whole box…to give it strength :smiley: .leave to dry for 2 months…preferably in a dry place ( geddit )…once dry you can attach the brackets, with super glue, preferably scooped up from the lorry that spilled his load of the stuff, you can either fit two boxes to go inside…or make a door for the front…you can use corner boards for the edges and the insides to give it extra strength, this is a very cheap box, and i had one made and fitted for my trips across europe…sadly…it only lasted until i got to the A2. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

^^^^^^^^
You two used to watch a lot of Blue Peter didnt you… :grimacing:

Does anybody remember Tyson Burridge (sp) out of ■■■■■■■ who actually ran a tractor unit made from wood?

truckyboy:
Take 4 kitchen roll inners or 6 depending on size…lay them on the ground…ground needs to be level…lay some cardboard on the top, for the sides you need 9 empty cereal packets, 3 for each end and the back…next mix up some paper mache…and spread it evenly over the whole box…to give it strength :smiley: .leave to dry for 2 months…preferably in a dry place ( geddit )…once dry you can attach the brackets, with super glue, preferably scooped up from the lorry that spilled his load of the stuff, you can either fit two boxes to go inside…or make a door for the front…you can use corner boards for the edges and the insides to give it extra strength, this is a very cheap box, and i had one made and fitted for my trips across europe…sadly…it only lasted until i got to the A2. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Where do you put the empty washing up liquid bottle? Better still don’t answer that :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:
Does anybody remember Tyson Burridge (sp) out of ■■■■■■■ who actually ran a tractor unit made from wood?

Yep. Had a wooden engine as well. Trouble was it wooden start.

I remember a firm from Crewe (I think) that had ERFs in a sort of wood grain finish.

Blue peter Andrew…i sure did…i had them in mind when writing my reply…ha ha adds a bit of fun dont it. Down Shep…Down… :laughing:

AndrewG:
If theyre fitted securely i dont see any reason why they wouldnt pass a test but…theyre going to be pretty heavy and being wood they’ll surely succumb to rot

Marine ply.

AndrewG:
You two used to watch a lot of Blue Peter didnt you… :grimacing:

But neither of them could manage to make the advent crown

gardun:
Where do you put the empty washing up liquid bottle?

The fairies nicked it …

the maoster:

Oh yes…Was it based on a Dennison tractor unit…and called the ‘Haunted House’ because it looked like the Amityville Horror house.

I think the “fitters” MOT comment was his way of really saying, “are you ■■■■ serious?”

GasGas:

the maoster:

Oh yes…Was it based on a Dennison tractor unit…and called the ‘Haunted House’ because it looked like the Amityville Horror house.

That’s the one! I used to do a bit in and out of Albright &a Wilson in Workington and used to see it around there all the time. All the glass was flat too, as if it had been bought in a diy shop! :smiley:

Adonis.:

Get some aftermarket fibreglass ones, they’re usually a decent bit cheaper than factory spec ones and are normally moulded from the originals anyway. I currently have some on my motor and you cannot tell the difference at all. They took a little persuasion to fit but that’s hardly a problem if you’re going to hack into them to make space for lockers.

A.

Chipboard wind deflector and catwalk…

Darkside:
I remember a firm from Crewe (I think) that had ERFs in a sort of wood grain finish.

That wood’ve been Plants Haulage from Crewe Cold Store

A plastic ERF with a wood grain finish… :stuck_out_tongue: