Driving diaries

Hi can any of you guys recommend a good driving diary if there are such things? Also what would you record in them?

Cheers Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notebook from asda. I write the date, start time, mileage, place, trailer no. and the same but for finishing. I note where I go, company, location, reference numbers and the times I get there and leave. Mileage and location of where I put fuel in.

Also anything else of note, 10 hr drive used, any expenses, split rest, ferry rest etc.

A.

Normal day to day diary works for me, I stick in what truck I am in, trailers used, any defects, start and finish time, start and finish mileage, places I go, and then the drive time, work time, POA and break. Handy for me to keep track of whatever I do, and if questions ever get asked by the boss.

neilp1982:
Normal day to day diary works for me, I stick in what truck I am in, trailers used, any defects, start and finish time, start and finish mileage, places I go, and then the drive time, work time, POA and break. Handy for me to keep track of whatever I do, and if questions ever get asked by the boss.

This ^ A5 day a page diary. I also put down weather conditions , fuel, adblue, and anything that one day may be useful.
Producing a 4 year old diary and being able to say what the weather ,route, etc etc , makes a good impression :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

As already said a decent notepad will do,1 thing record everything you do on the day might seem a bit OCD but truck reg,trailer time started finished,breaks where you went when and what time you finished.
if you got diesel how much where you stopped hours worked and how many hours break you had between shifts.
And anything different eg delayed at customer 1 or 2 due to load not ready etc.
If a week or 2 later gaffer said you were rude,late or didnt turn up to a customer you can look in your notes and tell him,if you say err dont remember gaffer will take customers word over yours due to keep customer happy and can get another driver not a customer.

Have my last 3 note books when i was at poundland start times trucks etc and hours worked,ok i dont need em now but was always did if it came to it.
(dont need em now?? well class 1 is an itch once you have driven you have to scratch it time for a few agency phone calls dammit lol sometimes big trucks diesel and doing a proper job just gets too much to watch em drive about all day time i was back in the saddle ).

A perfect example of a professional drivers diary! :smiley:

How many of you are scrutinising it for mistakes now? :wink:

IMG_0360.JPG

Thanks guys

Adonis.:
Notebook from asda. I write the date, start time, mileage, place, trailer no. and the same but for finishing. I note where I go, company, location, reference numbers and the times I get there and leave. Mileage and location of where I put fuel in.

Also anything else of note, 10 hr drive used, any expenses, split rest, ferry rest etc.

A.

Impressive! Do you also note how long it takes you to fill in your diary each day?

Wish I was this organised…

puggy:

Adonis.:

A.

Impressive! Do you also note how long it takes you to fill in your diary each day?

Wish I was this organised…

Literally less than 2 minutes through the day.

A.

I just use my phone these days. I’ve got a spreadsheet that’s stored in a cloud somewhere so I can get at it anytime but it’s got day/date, start/finish times, start/finish mileage, fuel, driving time and working time total, daily rest total, weekly rest total and also a section where I can put where I’ve tipped or collected from. Oh also vehicle reg even though it’s the same unit allocated to me. I’ve automated it too so that for example any daily rest under 11 hours or driving over 9 hours and the cell goes orange, anything less than 9 hours rest or over 10 hours driving and the cell goes red etc etc and if all is ok the cells go green.

I used to used an a4 page per day diary with much the same info but started messing with keeping things stored via device and it works for me now.

I’ve also got an app to track wages too which gets it spot on to the penny each week.

I just use a day to a page diary and list vehicle, trailer, start and end time, mileage, number of pallets each way and any other useful info including defects or other problems. That said, I night trunk so I don’t need a lot!

I’ve a lovely Volvo diary where I note down the basics but I also allow Google Maps to track me so I can tell you a wealth of information from any particular day

I’m not condoning or endorsing this but I got curious and searched to see if there was an actual drivers log diary and it just so happens there is…

amazon.co.uk/HGV-PROFESSION … SZARFZ21P1

Stuff paying that much for one though I’ll just stick to my blank (ruled) A5 notebooks thank you very much.

All info gets put into my phone’s calender. Always handy and never takes up extra space. Stuff spending £19 on one!

switchlogic:
I’ve a lovely Volvo diary where I note down the basics but I also allow Google Maps to track me so I can tell you a wealth of information from any particular day

Have to say, that’s quite useful. Do you know if you’d could use a dummy google account etc? Would prefer that to my personal account.

ClassOneHD:

switchlogic:

Have to say, that’s quite useful. Do you know if you’d could use a dummy google account etc? Would prefer that to my personal account.

I imagine so, just set up a new Google email address and link that to tracking

Reef:
I’m not condoning or endorsing this but I got curious and searched to see if there was an actual drivers log diary and it just so happens there is…

amazon.co.uk/HGV-PROFESSION … SZARFZ21P1

Stuff paying that much for one though I’ll just stick to my blank (ruled) A5 notebooks thank you very much.

That’s been a topic on here that diary. The general consensus is its way way too big and asks for way way too much detail. Seems a bit like a throw back from the log book era