Tax rebate and SSP advice please

Afternoon all, Really hoping someone may know, so please bare with me while I explain…

I’m PAYE employed, have been on emergency tax for a good while now as to be honest I were letting it run as a bit of a savings type affair…

Anyway I’ve been signed off since December due to a medical issue…

Now question is, will the tax rebate I’ve accrued have been eaten into as I’ve been on ssp??

If anyone has an Knowledge on this it would be greatly appreciated, I don’t want to ring tax as as soon as I do they will rebate me, which to be honest if I haven’t lost any of my nest I’d like too keep it ticking till April as it will help with future career plans…

Anyway Many Many thanks in advance all…

No it won’t. Completely separate.

Not sure how you’ve managed to stay on basic rate so long, someone has cocked up somewhere. New PAYE systems mean your tax code gets sent to a new employer quite quickly. If I were you I’d be contacting HMRC to find out what is going on because if because of a mistake or unpaid tax in the past they decided you should have been on basic rate then you won’t be getting the refund you think you will due to the fact that as far as they’re concerned you paid what you should. If its because of an incorrect NI number being put on the system by your employer it could mean your NI payments being paid to the wrong account which will affect any contributions based benefits and state pension down the line.

And why the hell would you do this anyway? Its as daft as sticking money under the mattress. All you’re doing is instead of earning interest and growing that money you’re actually reducing what that money will buy due to inflation. £100 left there in April 2017 will only buy the equivalent of £97 of goods in April 2018.

Conor:
No it won’t. Completely separate.

Not sure how you’ve managed to stay on basic rate so long, someone has cocked up somewhere. New PAYE systems mean your tax code gets sent to a new employer quite quickly. If I were you I’d be contacting HMRC to find out what is going on because if because of a mistake or unpaid tax in the past they decided you should have been on basic rate then you won’t be getting the refund you think you will due to the fact that as far as they’re concerned you paid what you should. If its because of an incorrect NI number being put on the system by your employer it could mean your NI payments being paid to the wrong account which will affect any contributions based benefits and state pension down the line.

And why the hell would you do this anyway? Its as daft as sticking money under the mattress. All you’re doing is instead of earning interest and growing that money you’re actually reducing what that money will buy due to inflation. £100 left there in April 2017 will only buy the equivalent of £97 of goods in April 2018.

Thanks for the input chap…

I had been made redundant, then given a new role on lesser pay within a month… So hmrc had put me on ET code.

I say savings lol, hmrc say it is the employee responsibility to contact them so I left it as I had not noticed for a good couple month into new role, when I did the amount wouldn’t have made a massive difference each week but over a few months it’s a nice little chunk so I left it lol

But hey thanks for the input, I shall call them when I’m free and see what’s due back to me as the online is sketchy at best hence I asked…

I may be mistaken but I thought benefits now counted towards taxable income?

Harry Monk:

Erm I’m not on benefits lol… So if that’s a dig erm ta :laughing:

Erm how or why has my post appeared in here■■?

I posted this in the family/health section lol…

STAAAAFFFF PLEASE REMOVE THIS FROM THE LIONS PIT :laughing: :grimacing:

Benjie83:

Harry Monk:

It’s not a dig, but I thought SSP was considered to be a benefit.

EDIT. Whatever it is or isn’t, it is treated as income for tax purposes.

Do I have to pay tax on sick pay?
Usually yes. Statutory sick pay is treated as earned income, so you’ll have to pay both income tax and Class 1 National Insurance contributions on it in the same way you would on your salary.

which.co.uk/money/insurance … -explained

EDIT AGAIN. Yes, Statutory Sick Pay is considered to be a state benefit.

citizensadvice.org.uk/benef … -disabled/

Harry Monk:

Benjie83:

Harry Monk:

It’s not a dig, but I thought SSP was considered to be a benefit.

EDIT. Whatever it is or isn’t, it is treated as income for tax purposes.

Do I have to pay tax on sick pay?
Usually yes. Statutory sick pay is treated as earned income, so you’ll have to pay both income tax and Class 1 National Insurance contributions on it in the same way you would on your salary.

which.co.uk/money/insurance … -explained

EDIT AGAIN. Yes, Statutory Sick Pay is considered to be a state benefit.

citizensadvice.org.uk/benef … -disabled/

Lol top man many thanks, I will give them a call ASAP…

Hopefully back at work next couple weeks, didn’t know ssp was a benefit so I will be getting shot of that tag ASAP :laughing:

Benjie83:
Hopefully back at work next couple weeks, didn’t know ssp was a benefit so I will be getting shot of that tag ASAP :laughing:

There’s no shame in claiming on an insurance policy you’ve been paying in to for years.

Harry Monk:

Benjie83:

There’s no shame in claiming on an insurance policy you’ve been paying in to for years.

Precisely Harry!