Night tramping question

I quite fancy giving night tramping a go, but it’s not on offer as a shift pattern at my firm.

The company does do a lot of night movements, so I’m wondering if it could be a goer with a bit of effort.

Anyway, has/does anyone do night tramping and what’s it like?

It’s dark…

Drive all night and…

Sleep all day. I liked it, parking was never an issue because everywhere was empty, same with the showers.

I’d park facing into a slot to minimise the noise from day drivers and always turn the works phone off.

Never ever fancied it. :neutral_face:
It would have to be a bloody good rate (and nothing over 10 to 12 hours) to tempt me. :neutral_face:

Would suit me down to the ground seeing no-one all night and sleeping all day ,perfect for an anti social bloke like me,where do i apply and how much do i have to pay them.

It must be really good fun in the summer trying to sleep during the day…not.

bald bloke:
It must be really good fun in the summer trying to sleep during the day…not.

Perfectly fine if your boss fit’s a air con POD on the roof or you are driving a Volvo with I cool, i did several years (Euro work) without either, the job wasn’t restricted to nights, but a lot of the time you would drive overnight

Try night trunking first, just to see if you can cope with the backwards body clock. Us night drivers are a special breed, not everyone is good enough to join our ranks! :wink:

Captain Caveman 76:
Try night trunking first, just to see if you can cope with the backwards body clock. Us night drivers are a special breed, not everyone is good enough to join our ranks! :wink:

can’t you get Dozy to join you :question: He’s a special one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

blue estate:

Captain Caveman 76:

can’t you get Dozy to join you :question: He’s a special one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can I join too? I’m special. My windows have been licked clean so much I’ve almost worn the glass out

Spring through Autumn would be a nightmare for sleeping .Heat noise etc …

blue estate:

Captain Caveman 76:

Funnily enough, I bumped into one of Stobrats finest the other night. He was telling me he does 5 nights out per week, drives from one end of the country to the other and is run ragged for the princely sum of £8.10 per hour. I asked if his name was Adrian, it wasn’t. The best bit was, he thought it was the best company in the world because they give him a 17 plate ■■■■■ to drive!

It’s a fantastic job if you like sleeping when you should be working and working when you should be sleeping
If you get my drift
Seriously it’s doable if your home in the day but trying to sleep in a cab all day it’s a nightmare and ten times worse in the summer

Captain Caveman 76:

blue estate:

Captain Caveman 76:

Funnily enough, I bumped into one of Stobrats finest the other night. He was telling me he does 5 nights out per week, drives from one end of the country to the other and is run ragged for the princely sum of £8.10 per hour. I asked if his name was Adrian, it wasn’t. The best bit was, he thought it was the best company in the world because they give him a 17 plate ■■■■■ to drive!

You forget to mention the uniform and the perks for fuel saving that also comes with a cert and they will get you home on Friday only if there’s a steak waiting for you
Plus you don’t need a brain or to be able to think and make a decision for yourself
You must also like driving a truck that’s bottom of the range its the Ryanair of road haulage
Happy days for some people

Captain Caveman 76:

Not driving trucks now as back on the coaches but I started at 06:15 this morning and clocked out at 15:45 ready for an 00:45 start and an 01:30 pick from Bath to just down the road to Leeds :open_mouth:

I’d love to know how you define night tramping , I started at 00.01 this morning and I’m apparently a day shift driver :exclamation: :unamused:
as for struggling to sleep in daytime , I find it the opposite I’m struggling to stay awake , I finished last week one day at 15.00 , just sat back in chair for a minute and woke up as Mrs was ringing at 20.00 wondering why I’d not called her
it’s called the graveyard shift for a reason :exclamation: :exclamation:

Sod that, I’m like Cinderella … I always say that if I’m in my carriage at at the stroke of midnight, I’m sure it’ll turn into a pumpkin. Which is why I don’t do nights or tramping

Personally I love it. Empty motorways, quiet service stations for your break, easy to get parked up for time off, deliveries are usually straight forward and, in my experience, you encounter less attitude from RDC staff etc. at night.

Main disadvantage is constant motorway closures but even this isn’t much of a problem as there’s always a functional diversion.

I find sleeping through the daylight easy (black curtains help). What’s more difficult is staying awake through the first night. Once that’s done you’ll sure as hell be able to sleep through the day afterwards.

DAF95XF:

Captain Caveman 76:

Not driving trucks now as back on the coaches but I started at 06:15 this morning and clocked out at 15:45 ready for an 00:45 start and an 01:30 pick from Bath to just down the road to Leeds :open_mouth:

So you’ve bagged a day shift and a night shift in the same day… no danger of you being tired,is there? Who do you work for? :open_mouth:

The good thing about it is that no matter what time you finish you know you will be able to get a space easily in your chosen truck stop or services. No messing about 18:00-19:00 having to plan alternatives if it’s full.