You might actually enjoy this latest T&D blag - GEARBOXES!

Afternoon all! Here’s one you might actually enjoy helping me/T&D with… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’m putting together a list of the top 10 “classic” truck gearboxes of all time that every driver should have heard of. I’ll obviously be including the Eaton Twin Splitter and Fuller Roadranger (which I preferred), but which others are vital for newer/younger drivers to have on their knowledge list? The ZF 16-speed slapover? The David Brown? One - or more - of those with separate splitter or range change levers on the dash? For the heavy boys, what about one of Allison’s torque converters?

Over to you… :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Ps. I’m gonna cross-post this in the Oldies Forum to catch some of the guys that never come in here and vice versa, so don’t worry if you’ve already replied there when you see this, there’s no need to do so twice like I once did in a similar situation! :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Mercedes Benz EPS, or electronic power shift that appeared in the Powerliner 2. Occasionally would have a fit and dump itself in neutral on steep hill starts fully loaded :astonished: :laughing: . Pretty unique at the time.

Freight Dog:
Mercedes Benz EPS, or electronic power shift that appeared in the Powerliner 2. Occasionally would have a fit and dump itself in neutral on steep hill starts fully loaded :astonished: :laughing: . Pretty unique at the time.

Heard stories about it selecting neutral on down slopes too. Not good with a fully freighted truck dropping down Guarda bank on the IP5 in full summer!

Franglais:

Freight Dog:

Heard stories about it selecting neutral on down slopes too. Not good with a fully freighted truck dropping down Guarda bank on the IP5 in full summer!

As a kid my old man driver a brand new one and thought it looked neat. Then I later drove one for Christian Salvesen and realised it was er, temperamental :laughing: . It would shaft you in the most dangerous situations too and just sit there with a loud alarm ringing and dump itself in neutral. When it worked it was pretty good though when you got the hang of it. Bit like a tiptronic.

It was around that time that mercs were called “Hitlers Revenge” :laughing:

spicer 10 speed

Or the
‘I couldn’t get it into reverse,so its parked nosed up to that wall’. Plus the numpty who left it like that but turned the ignition off when it was in gear
Salvesen n’pton
Tony
Ex tm cs npton

tonyj105:
Or the
‘I couldn’t get it into reverse,so its parked nosed up to that wall’. Plus the numpty who left it like that but turned the ignition off when it was in gear
Salvesen n’pton
Tony
Ex tm cs npton

I worked with a bloke who spilled coffee on the pedestal. It went haywire :laughing:

6 speed Scammell gate change box. No block changes. Had to go through every gear in the gate, both up and down!!

The upside down/back to front 9 spd Fuller where you had to work away from yourself when changing up.

Somebody is bound to pipe up with the double clutch thingy as fitted to the new volvos. That I can except although I’ve not tried one but going by previous ishift it’s bound to be great. All other ‘autos’ have absolutely no place in this topic. I liked the telegent box in the early actros’s although I know a lot didn’t. But, my most favourite truck gearbox has to be the comfortshift as fitted to the MAN. To my mind this was the pinnacle of truck transmissions, ZF I think was responsible for it.
Therefore, when my boss said last year I was having the new truck which would probably be a MAN and did I have any requests my first reply was comfortshift jokingly because I didn’t realise they still offered it. Well blow me if it didnt turn out they still do and I’m getting one. One happy mother trucker here [emoji847]

A gear for every occasion (16), a nice smooth change and no stupid delays at roundabouts etc. What’s not to like?

Juddians favourite ZFs as-tronic

First of all you have to differentiate between synchromesh and non synchro, usually constant mesh, gearboxes, i haven’t found a synchro box all that pleasurable to use with the exception of the 16 speed unit as fitted by Daf in recent years, which is one of the best manual gearboxes of recent times IMHO.
I haven’t driven a Volvo or Scania manual box that i would call good, all baulked to varying degrees.

My first lorry was a S39 Foden so sported Fodens own 12 speed ‘crash’ box, basically a 4 speed box with 3 splits, however where it differed from the others was the 3 splits were unequal, so you didn’t do as Eaton Twin Splitter split each of the 4speeds into 3 splits, you had to learn the sequence.
It was a hard box to learn initially and it didn’t forgive mistakes, early models had the range split lever on the top RH of the slab of cast steel amusingly known as the dash (earlier model still the range shifer was a second gear lever :open_mouth: ), later, S40/S80 and onwards the range splitter moved down to the usual position on the gearlever, much nicer to use.
Once used to it the box was good to use, but hard work at first, i remember it affectionately because as i was told when i started, and he was right, once you mastered that everything else (bar some of the complicated multi sticked US boxes) would be a doddle afterwards, there is something to be said for a baptism of fire.

Daf fitted ZF’s splitter into their 2600 and 2800DKTD models, it was back to front in 2600 (can’t remember if the 2800 was back to front now, possibly), with 1st beside you and 6th/12th furthest away, but once used to it the box was fast and easy to use, with rapid gearshifts being possible.

One of the most unusual fitments was the 13 speed Fuller in an MAN 16,232, with column gearchange, again once you got used to it the thing was decent to use, later models the gearchange dropped to the floor as normal.
The same 13 speed Fuller was used in lots of models, good box.

Eaton Twin Splitter, 3 speed box, 3 equal splits, hated by many and i like most others played all sorts of tunes on the thing for the first month, but once you got used to it, and so long as you had a good garage who knew to keep the clutch/gear brake working properly there has not been a faster box put in any lorry i’ve driven, you could make almost uninterrupted constant progress with one of these because as fast as you could shift the gears the box would take it.
I covered several years with these in MAN F90’s, which i think was one of the best combinations, MAN engines revved up quickly and the revs dropped quickly so the box could take advantage of this.
99% of the time you used ETS without touching the clutch except for starting and stopping, just blipped or lifted off the throttle to allow the next gear shift, whether combined with a pre selected range split or not, to engage.
Where the clutch/gear brake helped was on really steep hills where in the low gears you wanted fast gearchanges, fast as you could ram the clutch pedal to the floor and release it the next gear was engaged.
Pulling away from junctions if you had a decent engine the vehicle would romp away in a fashion those who have only driven modern lorries can only imagine.

Fuller Roadranger, like Lucy i liked these, a generally decent box, i had these in two memorable artics, one being a Leyland Buffallo, which whilst not the most powerful engine the engine was perfectly matched to the gearing and with rapid changes you make make some good progress on the road, a thoroughly pleasant and satisfying drive IMHO.
Matched to a decent ■■■■■■■ the 8 normal speeds were more than enough, in practice you’d only use it in the top 6 gears, easy and simple to use.

ZF’s slapover box, seemingly hated by many but i found it a good box to use, particularly in square Axors, a lorry also hated by many and indeed the auto version was sod all to write home about, but with a decent manual box one of the most honest basic working lorries of the last 15 years IMHO.

Now as for the most hated boxes, that for me has to be the Merc Powerliner thing as mentioned above, to me it didn’t have one redeeming feature, though i dare say for some who might struggle to shift some of the horrid synchromesh boxes they would have been easier, i hated the things and if i had a £ for every time it dumped me in neutral at the most inopportune moments i could retire early.

I also never really liked the David Brown 6 speed, though generally matched to a hateful Gardner LXB/LXC so sloooooow and frustrating was the order of the day so i’m probably being unfair to the box.

Spicer’s splitter didn’t have many fans, but i never found them particularly irksome.

Most gearboxes have redeeming features, i don’t like driving arsetronic for example (cheers Norb :wink: ) but there is no denying its reliability is second to none, and you learn to make the most of whatever good points a box has and make the most of them.
I dislike what Daf has been doing recently in defaulting to eco with arsetronic, driven in manual mode they can be as good most modern automated manuals, defaulting to eco is a mistake.

My favourite box was Eaton Twin Splitter, with Roadranger coming a close second, Foden’s 12 speed a third for it’s uniqueness and awkwardness (typical Cheshire i’ll do it my bloody way Frank, me dad hailed from Cheshire so know all about stubborn :sunglasses: ) as much as anything else.

Freight Dog:

I really liked EPS. It was so far ahead for its time

nomiS36:
Somebody is bound to pipe up with the double clutch thingy as fitted to the new volvos. That I can except although I’ve not tried one but going by previous ishift it’s bound to be great. All other ‘autos’ have absolutely no place in this topic. I liked the telegent box in the early actros’s although I know a lot didn’t. But, my most favourite truck gearbox has to be the comfortshift as fitted to the MAN. To my mind this was the pinnacle of truck transmissions, ZF I think was responsible for it.
Therefore, when my boss said last year I was having the new truck which would probably be a MAN and did I have any requests my first reply was comfortshift jokingly because I didn’t realise they still offered it. Well blow me if it didnt turn out they still do and I’m getting one. One happy mother trucker here [emoji847]

A gear for every occasion (16), a nice smooth change and no stupid delays at roundabouts etc. What’s not to like?

This is becoming one of the most posted pictures on this site! I wouldn’t have mentioned the dual clutch as the good lady is looking for classic boxes

Juddian:
First of all you have to differentiate between synchromesh and non synchro, usually constant mesh, gearboxes, i haven’t found a synchro box all that pleasurable to use with the exception of the 16 speed unit as fitted by Daf in recent years, which is one of the best manual gearboxes of recent times IMHO.
I haven’t driven a Volvo or Scania manual box that i would call good, all baulked to varying degrees.

My first lorry was a S39 Foden so sported Fodens own 12 speed ‘crash’ box, basically a 4 speed box with 3 splits, however where it differed from the others was the 3 splits were unequal, so you didn’t do as Eaton Twin Splitter split each of the 4speeds into 3 splits, you had to learn the sequence.
It was a hard box to learn initially and it didn’t forgive mistakes, early models had the range split lever on the top RH of the slab of cast steel amusingly known as the dash (earlier model still the range shifer was a second gear lever :open_mouth: ), later, S40/S80 and onwards the range splitter moved down to the usual position on the gearlever, much nicer to use.
Once used to it the box was good to use, but hard work at first, i remember it affectionately because as i was told when i started, and he was right, once you mastered that everything else (bar some of the complicated multi sticked US boxes) would be a doddle afterwards, there is something to be said for a baptism of fire.

Daf fitted ZF’s splitter into their 2600 and 2800DKTD models, it was back to front in 2600 (can’t remember if the 2800 was back to front now, possibly), with 1st beside you and 6th/12th furthest away, but once used to it the box was fast and easy to use, with rapid gearshifts being possible.

One of the most unusual fitments was the 13 speed Fuller in an MAN 16,232, with column gearchange, again once you got used to it the thing was decent to use, later models the gearchange dropped to the floor as normal.
The same 13 speed Fuller was used in lots of models, good box.

Eaton Twin Splitter, 3 speed box, 3 equal splits, hated by many and i like most others played all sorts of tunes on the thing for the first month, but once you got used to it, and so long as you had a good garage who knew to keep the clutch/gear brake working properly there has not been a faster box put in any lorry i’ve driven, you could make almost uninterrupted constant progress with one of these because as fast as you could shift the gears the box would take it.
I covered several years with these in MAN F90’s, which i think was one of the best combinations, MAN engines revved up quickly and the revs dropped quickly so the box could take advantage of this.
99% of the time you used ETS without touching the clutch except for starting and stopping, just blipped or lifted off the throttle to allow the next gear shift, whether combined with a pre selected range split or not, to engage.
Where the clutch/gear brake helped was on really steep hills where in the low gears you wanted fast gearchanges, fast as you could ram the clutch pedal to the floor and release it the next gear was engaged.
Pulling away from junctions if you had a decent engine the vehicle would romp away in a fashion those who have only driven modern lorries can only imagine.

Fuller Roadranger, like Lucy i liked these, a generally decent box, i had these in two memorable artics, one being a Leyland Buffallo, which whilst not the most powerful engine the engine was perfectly matched to the gearing and with rapid changes you make make some good progress on the road, a thoroughly pleasant and satisfying drive IMHO.
Matched to a decent ■■■■■■■ the 8 normal speeds were more than enough, in practice you’d only use it in the top 6 gears, easy and simple to use.

ZF’s slapover box, seemingly hated by many but i found it a good box to use, particularly in square Axors, a lorry also hated by many and indeed the auto version was sod all to write home about, but with a decent manual box one of the most honest basic working lorries of the last 15 years IMHO.

Now as for the most hated boxes, that for me has to be the Merc Powerliner thing as mentioned above, to me it didn’t have one redeeming feature, though i dare say for some who might struggle to shift some of the horrid synchromesh boxes they would have been easier, i hated the things and if i had a £ for every time it dumped me in neutral at the most inopportune moments i could retire early.

I also never really liked the David Brown 6 speed, though generally matched to a hateful Gardner LXB/LXC so sloooooow and frustrating was the order of the day so i’m probably being unfair to the box.

Spicer’s splitter didn’t have many fans, but i never found them particularly irksome.

Most gearboxes have redeeming features, i don’t like driving arsetronic for example (cheers Norb :wink: ) but there is no denying its reliability is second to none, and you learn to make the most of whatever good points a box has and make the most of them.
I dislike what Daf has been doing recently in defaulting to eco with arsetronic, driven in manual mode they can be as good most modern automated manuals, defaulting to eco is a mistake.

My favourite box was Eaton Twin Splitter, with Roadranger coming a close second, Foden’s 12 speed a third for it’s uniqueness and awkwardness (typical Cheshire i’ll do it my bloody way Frank, me dad hailed from Cheshire so know all about stubborn :sunglasses: ) as much as anything else.

What was the box they fitted to FL12 units? Was a boggo stock 4/4 I think. Had a range changer and splitter. I liked it anyway.

Only twin splitter I used was ERFs at BOC. I got on with them ok. Was one of the few who didn’t mind them :laughing: . Couldnt tell you what it was technically as know there were variants, Had a 3 position air switch. Made 12 forward gears if I recall.

I-shift, I reckon it’s been round long enough for classic status and by the sounds of it better with the Dual Clutch which is available on the 13 litre engine and on some very special Dutch 16 litre models. :open_mouth:

Freight Dog, i always found the Volvo synchro boxes baulked making them tiring and i used to cover London a hell of a lot at the time i was stuck with FL10/12s, well compared to a decent constant mesh most of which could be driven entirely clutchless with a light gearchange once moving.

But we all have different favourites, glad you enjoyed the ETS :sunglasses:

Juddian:
Freight Dog, i always found the Volvo synchro boxes baulked making them tiring and i used to cover London a hell of a lot at the time i was stuck with FL10/12s, well compared to a decent constant mesh most of which could be driven entirely clutchless with a light gearchange once moving.

But we all have different favourites, glad you enjoyed the ETS :sunglasses:

To be honest my memory of the FL is only of doing lots of long runs for Salvos not multi drop type stuff. Maybe it was novelty as was the first “proper” unit I drove after the toy I trained on. Must say, I always wanted a Scania 3 series unit, I just liked the look of them and they were the daddy when I was a nipper. Finally got one on containers (they were old then :laughing: ) and much as I liked it, the gearbox felt a bit cheapo. Not so solid as say the 4/4 in a XF. Probably worn out though :smiley:

Juddian:

One of my favourite manuals. Fitted in a lot of coaches back in t’day

EPS…

For the sheer fun of ‘JEEZUSCHRISTGIMMEANYGEARBUTNEUTRALYOUF*****R!’.

The Volvo 16 speed, a cog for everything and sweet to work with.

Volvo i-shift.