Sk transport South Wales

Thinking of doing European work , not done before, what sk transport like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it in the search bit mate, there are a few threads already on S&K. :bulb:

Known locally as Skint and Knackered…not sure if that refers to the trucks, the employer or the drivers.

Don’t do it

I enquired a while ago but couldn’t justify the pay cut you get a basic wage and I do mean basic plus a percentage depending on how many It’s you do. You get back to Barry every 3week or so but only get minimum weekly rest in so if you live a long way it’s not worth going home.Be prepared to be away for about 7 weeks before they give you about 4 days off to go home. They have a handfull of new shape volvos but most are about 60 reg 11 reg that kind of age ex stobart or ex b&q poverty spec not all of them have fridges if your going away for nearly 2 month you need a fridge

It surely can’t be that bad, what about Nolans then lol

Donnyboy:
I enquired a while ago but couldn’t justify the pay cut you get a basic wage and I do mean basic plus a percentage depending on how many It’s you do. You get back to Barry every 3week or so but only get minimum weekly rest in so if you live a long way it’s not worth going home.Be prepared to be away for about 7 weeks before they give you about 4 days off to go home. They have a handfull of new shape volvos but most are about 60 reg 11 reg that kind of age ex stobart or ex b&q poverty spec not all of them have fridges if your going away for nearly 2 month you need a fridge

would that have been your first European driving job

Get on the blower and get down to Barry mate as there isn’t that many going over the water now or that will give people a start with little or no previous experience.
Its all down to personal taste, I’ve never done any job for the money, it’s always been for the job/life etc.
I loved tramping around Europe, not with s&k and not on tauts, but alongside alot of drivers doing this kind of work and it is more getting the experience than chasing the money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If I was wanting the start. S&K would be the next call, they are doing something right, they have a DVSA testing station in the yard and buying ex company vehicles they know what they are getting. They have their own work and regular customers both ways.
New starts may end up on UK or near continent but Italy. Germany. Swiss and Spain come to those who wait.

Wheel Nut:
If I was wanting the start. S&K would be the next call, they are doing something right, they have a DVSA testing station in the yard and buying ex company vehicles they know what they are getting. They have their own work and regular customers both ways.
New starts may end up on UK or near continent but Italy. Germany. Swiss and Spain come to those who wait.

Same here. If I was in market for my first euro job they’d be high up my list. Plenty of their drivers have been their a long time, find out what it’s like for yourself. On here all you’ll get is drivers who’ve never worked there slagging them off

Well my brother works for them and he says this they do not bother him at all he gets a tx for return load his money always in bank on time nice fh keeps same truck he loves it there and he does get ■■■■■■ of people slagging them who never worked for them gossips he calls them and many other things and the money’s not that bad try it for yourself and make your own mind up regards rowly

Donnyboy:

Most drivers at S@k do maximum 1-2 week and taked 2 day off.Longest trip can be about 7-10 calendar day(Italy ,Spain).Just some drivers by own desicion stay in cab for month because live fare from base.

ryan011284:
Thinking of doing European work , not done before, what sk transport like.

Most trip to Belgium and back.Some trip to Italy(Milan area),France,Germany ,Spain,Netherland and may be some more country,If liquid in trailer that mainly 1 drop .If rubber that can ve some 3-5 drop from one trailer.Easy job,nobody push.Wages1 years ago was.Basic pay 400 plus bonus up to 200 quid.Normaly can get about 150 bonus.If work Saturday that 80 quid plus.20 UK night out and 33 if EU night out Saturday or Sunday.If work Monday to Friday that can taked home about 550.If start Monday and stay in truck for 11week till next Friday that can taked 600 per week.

polytrotter:
I’ve never done any job for the money, it’s always been for the job

Maybe it’s just me, I have NEVER got that concept even when I was young and naive and loved everything about trucking.

Yeh, it’s great and it’s half the battle if you love your job, but how far do you go with this ‘‘I don’t do it for the money’’ stuff? …Willing to work for next to f/all while the guy you’re working for makes a fortune (and a mug) out of you.?
Taking that further there has always been firms who look for guys with that attitude who thrive on them. :bulb:
It’s what it is…a job, a job’s reason to be is to make money out of it, to determine your standard of living, the more money you make, the higher the standard.

Why not go the sensible (some would say obvious) route if you feel that way, and get a good job you enjoy that also pays good money…win win situation. :bulb: :bulb: .

This point is proven when you see the upper classes and idle rich, who CHOOSE not to work at all.

To the o/p, I have spoken to a few S&K lads in the past abroad, and they all seemed happy with their lot, it maybe wouldn’t be for me but that means ■■■■ all.
Other than that I know abso jack about them, so only one way to find out bud, …give them a go.

The grass is always greener, these big companies with fancy tackle, where are they now?

Well the o/p asked a question about s&k hence my first few words were “get on the phone and go to Barry” you won’t know until you try it.

I do this job to live and pay the bills and it suits us fine.
There are very few companies around here that would allow me to do what I do
(6mths tramping & 6mths day work)

Yes there’s more money to be made but I’m happy, they are happy so [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

polytrotter:
Well the o/p asked a question about s&k hence my first few words were “get on the phone and go to Barry” you won’t know until you try it.

I do this job to live and pay the bills and it suits us fine.
There are very few companies around here that would allow me to do what I do
(6mths tramping & 6mths day work)

Yes there’s more money to be made but I’m happy, they are happy so [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I’m happy you’re happy mate :smiley: , I didn’t think any different. :wink:

Point I was making is self explanatory, but apart from that I just thought it was the wrong vibe to send out to impressionable new drivers that it was normal and acceptable to work for the love of the job only and not the money.
I remember when Euro work paid better money, and certainly better money than UK only work.
The job is bad enough as it is for ■■■■ poor money, without firms thinking that drivers are happy to just take it for the love…that’s what I was getting at.

My mate used to park his lorry at home (nottingham)

The good things about S&K are the fact they will give wet licences a start, they will give inexperienced drivers a chance to go over the water, and they will always take you back (unless you are me :wink: ) .

A mate of a mate parks his in Manchester when home