LHD advice plse

I’m waiting on an assessment for driving a Mercedes Actros which is a left ■■■■■■ for UK work. Anyone got any advice for me? …other than ‘Don’t do it!’ sort of stuff! I’d genuinely like to hear from brothers with experience of driving a LHD in teh UK…and if anyone also has experience of Fleetboard that would be even better. Cheers

BubbaC:
I’m waiting on an assessment for driving a Mercedes Actros which is a left ■■■■■■ for UK work. Anyone got any advice for me? …other than ‘Don’t do it!’ sort of stuff! I’d genuinely like to hear from brothers with experience of driving a LHD in teh UK…and if anyone also has experience of Fleetboard that would be even better. Cheers

It is may be in Birds transport or now they call Montgomery??

BubbaC:

Foreign plate learn port and cheese hands in the air no problems [emoji854]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I’d describe it as awkward rather than difficult. Take your time, concentrate and it’ll be ok.
Check and double check blind spots beforel lane changes.
No magic formulas just care and attention.
Reversing into tight spots you’ll need to set up on the opposite side to a RHD.
Keep a spare set of gloves in passenger side so you don’t look too silly when you unlock wrong door.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Back in the day we used to stick a Green Shield stamp in the windscreen to indicate where the kerb was (showing my age here :stuck_out_tongue: )

If you get the gig, put a spare pair of gloves in the offside footwell so when you inevitably forget that it’s a left ■■■■■■ and open the right hand door by mistake, you can grab the gloves and pretend that’s what you meant to do all along. :wink: (Edit, Franglais beat me to it!)

What Franglais said.

Plus if you think you’re driving in the hedge on a single carriageway road, then you’re probably getting it right.
Watch your approach to roundabouts and junctions, come in straighter for longer if possible so you don’t lose sight of what’s coming from your right.
Keep even more of an eye in your right hand mirrors, especially on motorways and dual carriageways.
However it can be better in urban areas looking for cyclists coming down your left hand side.

All advice really appreciated! I don’t post a lot but regularly read this forum and its simply brilliant. PMSL at Colinaki’s response as a Portuguese driver went past me last week with a knife in his right hand, a cheese and wheel in the left!

Road positioning can take a bit of getting used to.

It’s mostly just a case of using the right hand ‘nearside’ mirrors on the passenger side to keep a check on the offside positioning against the centre line or lane markings.

Look on the bright side it could be centre drive which means having to position two passenger sides on either side. :laughing:

as harry has said park on a road in the correct position and mark the wind screen to show the edge of the road slightly ahead and also the white line, so they can be seen with just movement of the eyes not turning your head, where as I like to move my head when reading mirrors,

Youll soon get the hang of it, learnt and spend most of my time driving lhd vehicles so for me its a bit awkward when i get back into a rhd.

Youll soon get use to road positioning, set your mirrors up well. At roundabouts hang back so you can see clearly to your right, saves you standing up and headbutting the windscreen when trying to see whats coming.

Just be very careful of your blind spot, keep an eye on those mirrors.

If its smeets pm me mate.

If in a left ■■■■■■ try and keep over to left the best you can as you will easily drift over the middle of the road as you will naturally want to be over to the right! As for fleet board that is the telematics system which will be monitoring your driving, our trucks have the fleetboard built in to the cabs they look like large sat navs(which they are as well).

As other advice already mentioned plus…goes without saying, be very careful pulling out to overtake anything on single carriageways. After a day or so though it’ll come naturally and you’ll think nothing of it…

Patience is a virtue…so take your time…be careful when overtaking in the uk…use mirrors at all times, and hang back at junctions…dont be tempted to pull right up to the line…unless you have a long neck…good luck fella.

thanks to all who have posted. Much appreciated.

Did I get it right that you didn’t take the job■■?

Get a stick with a paper clip on the end

Tipperdipper1:
Did I get it right that you didn’t take the job■■?

Still waiting but like i said, I didnt get a great vibe about it…and have also applied for a second job with left hookers and waiting on that too!

If you do get the gig get some masking tape, line truck up to a road position and put the tape on the white centre line. It’ll help you maintain road position until you get used to it which doesn’t take long in fairness if you’re doing it all the time.