Great start to the day

Start my shift 10 minutes down the road ground to a halt…
Believe clutch release bearing has gone on my auto daf cf. Happened to me before on another daf less about 6 months ago.

So stuck on a busy slip road leading to a major roundabout waiting for recovery… :grimacing:

Hmm interesting. Ours are on over 600,000km and running fine but apparently DAF had sent a load of clutch kits out last year which I doubt they did for no reason. Wonder if there’s a design fault.

Conor:
Hmm interesting. Ours are on over 600,000km and running fine but apparently DAF had sent a load of clutch kits out last year which I doubt they did for no reason. Wonder if there’s a design fault.

A DAF design fault?
I drive a '65 plate, would you like me to write out a list?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

The two that went out on my trucks are 63 plates both between 400k-500km mark.
I think it must be a design fault with them; especially if two went.

Believe the 63 plate may be the last of the old models though. Pretty sure all new models are 14 plates +. Not that it matters we switched over to Scanias now these are the only two DAFs left.

Diff is going on my daf now… :imp:

Had one dif “go” on a DAF about 800k. That seemed premature. If your dif is going at about half a million kliks I’d say that’s very low. Are they properly maintained or could oil be low?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I suspect it got recovered at some point recently so the recovery driver would of removed the diff and when he dropped it off and put it back on the fitters forget to replace/ top up the diff oil.

adam277:
I suspect it got recovered at some point recently so the recovery driver would of removed the diff and when he dropped it off and put it back on the fitters forget to replace/ top up the diff oil.

He wouldn’t remove the diff Adam. What he should’ve done would be to drop the prop, but in the real world he’ll more than likely dropped a half shaft. That’s what I used to do when I was in the purgatory known as heavy recovery! :smiley:

the maoster:

adam277:

He wouldn’t remove the diff Adam. What he should’ve done would be to drop the prop, but in the real world he’ll more than likely dropped a half shaft. That’s what I used to do when I was in the purgatory known as heavy recovery! :smiley:

Your right.
What if the fitters forget to top up the fluid from where that half shaft comes out of though? I remember yesterday when the recovery guy removed the shaft quite a lot came out.
Would that cause the gearbox oil smell and smoke coming from the half shaft area. It was also sluggish through the high gears.

Also why do they remove them
What are the half shafts covers on the wheel called
Why am I thinking it’s the diff.
What is the oil that comes out when a half is removed.
What is a half shaft

MAN/Arsetronic clutch release bearings all went on ours between 450 and 550k, they took no bloody notice at the workshops when i reported excessive clutch judder a few months before mine went, could have saved the breakdown wrecker inconvenience etc, still money no object eh :unamused:

Are all these new plastic and electronic tat lorries about bolloxed after 3 years now unless the work is seriously easy, ie parcel trunking/crisps/packaging, does anything made in europe have a durable long life design any more?

Juddian:
MAN/Arsetronic clutch release bearings all went on ours between 450 and 550k, they took no bloody notice at the workshops when i reported excessive clutch judder a few months before mine went, could have saved the breakdown wrecker inconvenience etc, still money no object eh :unamused:

Are all these new plastic and electronic tat lorries about bolloxed after 3 years now unless the work is seriously easy, ie parcel trunking/crisps/packaging, does anything made in europe have a durable long life design any more?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe they are designed around the finance deals.
No point making a truck that lasts 10 years if the company is asking for new trucks every 3

adam277:

Juddian:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe they are designed around the finance deals.
No point making a truck that lasts 10 years if the company is asking for new trucks every 3

There may some truth in that…but even I’m not too sure about the economics of that. At the end of 3 years a truck/car needs to have value to encourage you to buy ftom the same manufacturer. Guaranteed resale value is a selling point on new vehicles. The expensive prices of spare parts seem to be a major encouragement to buy new, it’s true, but that’s a slightly different argument.

Edit. A vehicle that’s still desirable at 3 or 5 yrs is good for the initial purchaser. If it dissolves at 12 yrs when its being fitted with 2nd hand parts that’s good for the maker.

adam277:

the maoster:

adam277:

Your right.
What if the fitters forget to top up the fluid from where that half shaft comes out of though? I remember yesterday when the recovery guy removed the shaft quite a lot came out.
Would that cause the gearbox oil smell and smoke coming from the half shaft area. It was also sluggish through the high gears.

Also why do they remove them
These are removed to stop the gearbox or diff getting wound up and destroying themselves. also rear diff oil is pumped over the crown wheel unlike a light vehicle that are bathed in them. which means if engine aint running theres no oil getting to the crown wheel which in turn heats the diff internals and potentially blows the diff.
What are the half shafts covers on the wheel called
the covers are part of the half shaft (except for scania, when removed you have a cap that can be refitted)
Why am I thinking it’s the diff.
The halfshafts are part of the diff assembly
What is the oil that comes out when a half is removed.
diff oil or gear oil
What is a half shaft

the halfshaft essentially takes the drive from the propshaft and distributes it to the wheels.

The given rule in recovery is anything up to 50miles is ok for the halfshaft to be pulled anything over this would require Propshaft to be removed.
Im a HGV tech and Heavy Recovery Tech personally I use a 30 mile rule for the halfshaft instead of the 50 miles.

Juddian:
MAN/Arsetronic clutch release bearings all went on ours between 450 and 550k

That would tie in with the timing of all the clutch kits turning up where I’m at. They’d be within that mileage range.