Driverless vehicles...question

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I’m not tech savvy at all, but how will these autonomous vehicles work in the snow when the white lines are covered? Is it just a case of the driver taking over the controls as usual?

Guessing it depends which of the different systems are fitted?
With a wire buried under the road and suitable detectors the vehicle won’t need to"see" white lines. Likewise in fog: we may see FA the machine’s radar may “see” perfectly.
All sorts of possibilities.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Some follow wires, or follow other vehicles or simply avoid other objects. Trains still have a driver, there’s a reason for that [emoji14]

My car has auto assist which shows a pictograms on the dash if I get too close, it also has a big glass thing you look through and you can see anything in front of you.
Last week the sensor froze up but I could still see cars in front of me.

Orwhen they’ve worn away and no one can be arsed to repaint them ?

Depends what sensors are fitted? If only optical ones then crsp on white lines will be a problem. Why not bury a wire in each lane? Or use metallic particles in the paint? Local GPS transponders at the roadside?
Posts at hundred metre intervals with radar on the vehicles? They’ll be “seen” in snow dark or fog.
Loads of possible solutions!

Unions ?

Edit.
Meant to quote Wheelnut saying there’s a reason trains have drivers.

Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

+1

but you forgot to add the… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

switchlogic:
Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

True. But when did you last see a truly original subject?
Low bridges. SatNav. AutoBox. Agency.

cheekymonkey:
Sorry if this is a daft question, but I’m not tech savvy at all, but how will these autonomous vehicles work in the snow when the white lines are covered? Is it just a case of the driver taking over the controls as usual?

Well they crawl along and get stuck, so really we’re not going to notice the difference. :laughing:

It has been a problem, but this is how Ford are working on the problem, however it’s worth reading the last paragraph to understand how much a challenge full autonomy still is.

Franglais:
Unions ?

Edit.
Meant to quote Wheelnut saying there’s a reason trains have drivers.

I did consider that as an answer [emoji23]

Franglais:

switchlogic:
Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

True enough. There are no original subjects at this stage I suppose

switchlogic:

Franglais:

switchlogic:
Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

True enough. There are no original subjects at this stage I suppose

Here we sit on Olympus, watching those below. . .

switchlogic:
Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

It doesn’t have to be, it’s a good question and the answer shouldn’t lead to a slanging match, but sadly that won’t happen when people are silly enough to bite to the obvious provocateurs who will inevitably post on this thread knowing it will get the desired response.

It’s going to depend on the sensors and system that a truck will run. For now there are a limited amount of sensors and data that are going to be used by both cars and trucks, which is why we haven’t seen fully autonomous cars up for purchase just yet.

In terms of sensors, at the moment autonomous systems can take GPS data for location and marry it with optical and non-optical sensors, such as LIDAR which gives the controlling computer
a view of the world and it uses this to navigate and make decisions on actions it should take.

Data on roads and road conditions are going to help with this. Volvo is capturing data through it’s iSee system which is currently producing it’s own internal road data maps. These
aren’t to be confused with GPS navigation or road atlas style maps, these are data maps of road conditions, elevations and positioning. There are a number of semi-autonomous vehicles out there (think driver assist) that are gathering data and Teslas Semi will be gathering commercial truck data at a decent rate (as they’re using their own trucks to transport batteries between factory locations).

Looking towards the future of sensors, they’re developing quantum sensors that can “see” through particulates such as fog, rain and snow as if they weren’t there. These sensors sound
very far fetched, but they’re being development and they’re being used in research, specifically for Earth sensing applications at the moment, but as the tech matures, the equipment will get smaller and be more suitable for vehicle applications.

The first word of my post was “sorry”, however if it offended anyone I’ll say sorry again. I’m not sure why someone who thinks a post is boring or unnecessary spends their time replying to it though! A bit daft really. The internet is full of irrelevant stuff, do they sit replying to it all until death finally arrives?

I was talking to a MAN man not so long ago and autonomous vehicles was one of the topics that came up. He reckoned that the sensors on their auto vehicles (and current ones for that matter) could scan the road up to three kilometres ahead. He couldn’t quite explain how they saw through the vehicle in front though.
This autonomous ideal is like a huge jigsaw, trying to put everything together but we don’t know if we have all the pieces yet.

Do the sensors just scan the road or do they look over the fields at the sheep ?

if you’re rolling along towards a 90 degree bend and you spot a waggon heading towards the same bend you know when to hang back or get a move on and get there first. what will an autonomous do? have a hairy canary when confronted with the other on the wrong side of the road?

Bluey Circles:
Do the sensors just scan the road or do they look over the fields at the sheep ?

if you’re rolling along towards a 90 degree bend and you spot a waggon heading towards the same bend you know when to hang back or get a move on and get there first. what will an autonomous do? have a hairy canary when confronted with the other on the wrong side of the road?

Captain Caveman 76:
I was talking to a MAN man not so long ago and autonomous vehicles was one of the topics that came up. He reckoned that the sensors on their auto vehicles (and current ones for that matter) could scan the road up to three kilometres ahead. He couldn’t quite explain how they saw through the vehicle in front though.
This autonomous ideal is like a huge jigsaw, trying to put everything together but we don’t know if we have all the pieces yet.

Not sure what info the MAN person of male Gender was talking about, but maybe it was the short range communications between vehicles.
I believe the plan is to have a short range vehicle to vehicle system or even vehicle to road infrastructure communications on a dedicated frequency or to use the 5G network so vehicles can get information from a wide area and avoid hold ups, but will be a less reliable system or have both systems.

Although one autonomous vehicle developer has decided to remove permanent connections, just doing it in short bursts, due to the fear of hacking.

So in the scenario of 2 trucks heading for a bend, I assume the theory they’ll be communicating with each other and some algorithm will decide which one gives way, unless of course the hackers have got in and they decide to create a disaster movie scenario, or the beginning of yet another predictable episode of casualty and have the fuel tanker and truck with dangerous chemicals head for the orphan kittens home on the day the local primary school visit.