Woolworths distribution centres

No, I’m not looking for directions, (about 9 years too late), just where were they? I’ve been to one at winsford and Swindon, a colleague and I were on about them today, and couldn’t think were any others were. Were they run by wincanton?

Wasn’t sure whether to post this in the oldies forum.

Didn’t they have a change over yard behind South Mimms truckstop?

Rochdale.

There’s a huge one in Rugby. Or was. It’s long gone though obviously but it was run by Wincanton. Someone else is in there but cant remember who.

I’m sure they had one opposite Argos, Marsh leys off the A421

Thank you harry Rochdale was another one I’ve been to

Swindon
Rochdale
Winsford
Rugby
Bedford
Satellite yards at South Mimms, Exeter and Cardiff

Took these at the Rochdale depot after closure in January 2009.

W1.jpg
W3.jpg
W2.jpg
With the closure of all the Woolworth’s stores in early 2009 the distribution depots in Rochdale and Swindon also closed down after all the remaining stock in the warehouse had been delivered.
The depot in Rochdale above, which was also the head office, was quite a large one and used to employ over 600 staff of which 126 were drivers.

You could of told me still sat on a bay waiting for green light.
At Rochdale
Bays that tight you couldn’t get out of cab.
Do miss them tho decent canteens as well.

Jack-knife:
At Rochdale

Swindon was tight if all the bays were taken up then all the mirrors would be touching each other, and watch out for the pillars, I thought canteen was better at Rochdale.

bald bloke:

Jack-knife:
At Rochdale

Swindon was tight if all the bays were taken up then all the mirrors would be touching each other, and watch out for the pillars, I thought canteen was better at Rochdale.

Not just those bays, even the trailer parking was so tight, the shunters used to simply wedge trailers out of the way with other trailers…
Only really worked Woolies during the Christmas run-ups a few times, put up in a bed and breakfast in Swindon with lots of other agency drivers, playing cards in the driver’s coffee hut/waiting room, hoping your name wouldn’t be called for about 7 hours… :laughing:
Croydon underground was a right pig to get into with a long trailer.

Happy days.

moomooland:
With the closure of all the Woolworth’s stores in early 2009 the distribution depots in Rochdale and Swindon also closed down after all the remaining stock in the warehouse had been delivered.
The depot in Rochdale above, which was also the head office, was quite a large one and used to employ over 600 staff of which 126 were drivers.

Those tandem double deckers they had were the most arse clenching trailers I’ve ever pulled. They used to go nuts in the tramlines. Guess all those cages went in a scrap metal skip.

National carriers done the transport at Swindon in the early days.

Used to do the xmas carrier bags to Swindon , I was going grey when I booked in , was bald when I finally got out !

Own Account Driver:

moomooland:

Those tandem double deckers they had were the most arse clenching trailers I’ve ever pulled. They used to go nuts in the tramlines. Guess all those cages went in a scrap metal skip.

Nope home bargains bout a ■■■■■■■■ of em and not to sure if b and m did aswell , I know b and m bought quite a few double deckers aswell .
I did 6 years at Rochdale was a good job and relief shunting at Christmas by ■■■ them bays were tight :smiley:

bald bloke:

Jack-knife:
At Rochdale

Your spot on there B.B. that canteen was the bollox at Rochdale used to go in for my tea before I started , top nosh and a good crack with the girls :laughing:

rigsby:
Used to do the xmas carrier bags to Swindon , I was going grey when I booked in , was bald when I finally got out !

Yes, we often used to queue around the blok trying to get back in. Missed last orders a few times because of that queue

largebloke1969:

Own Account Driver:

moomooland:

Nope home bargains bout a [zb] of em and not to sure if b and m did aswell , I know b and m bought quite a few double deckers aswell .
I did 6 years at Rochdale was a good job and relief shunting at Christmas by ■■■ them bays were tight :smiley:

If there were some cheap double deck box van trailers, that should have been scrapped about five years earlier, going I doubt B&M Bargains could have resisted them.

Warrington on the Grange Estate I worked there in 1980s National Carriers had the contract, really good job and some tight delivery points, had some small single axle trailers for them, they had a separate warehouse on site for paint a transport company from Enfield area done the haulage a mate of mine worked for them.