MAN LED lights.

Had a light fail on my TGX unit, the white strip between the main lights and day running lights. I suspected it was an LED with a clever bit of lensing, and I was right. What I didn’t realise was that the LED sits on a little circuit board with a heat sink and costs about £125! No chance of replacing just the LED as it’s surface mounted.
What exactly is the point?

I find it very difficult to say anything good about an MAN that has been built since the year 2000.
However, on a Volvo you have to replace three entire headlight unit when this happens, and even from the factors they’re a lot more than £125.

Lorries not the only things fitted with these pointless trinkets, if you happen to own a facelift 2012-on Jaguar XF and a front indicator LED blows you can kiss goodbye to £1000 for a complete headlight unit fitted.

No doubt some enterprising soul will come up with a work around, and you would happily stand your Jag for a week while said chap works his magic on your otherwise perfect headlight unit, but can you afford to stand your lorry for a week for something like this that should never have been fitted in the first place.

Someone send Mr Akio Toyoda a message for pete’s sake…
Hurry up and sort the Hino range out for the UK, there must be massive potential for a return to more simple and durable ‘it wasn’t broke so we didn’t fix it’ designs.
I have no intention of moving away from my older Japanese cars for similar reasons, they just keep on going, and when things need fixing? well they were designed to be fixed in the field in the first place.

New headlight is required , as i found out last week

Is it a sealed unit? As in can you touch the leds? If yes id be doing a diy job and fixing that for pennies.

You don’t get an idea of scale from this pic, but the circuit board is about 50mm long. The LED (circled) is glued and soldered directly onto the board, removal is a job for steady hands. I’ve seen these types of LEDs being used as dashboard lights, so a replacement should be easy to get. Assuming the fault isn’t elsewhere on the board, repair is well within my skill set, but since it’s not my lorry, it’s someone else’s problem.

^^^ isn’t that a pointless load of ■■■■■■■■, when all that was needed was a simple extra holder for a bloody 5w bulb, maybe if they took the YTS trainee off the design team and put an engineer in his stead, that’s what might have been :unamused:

Juddian:
Lorries not the only things fitted with these pointless trinkets, if you happen to own a facelift 2012-on Jaguar XF and a front indicator LED blows you can kiss goodbye to £1000 for a complete headlight unit fitted.

No doubt some enterprising soul will come up with a work around, and you would happily stand your Jag for a week while said chap works his magic on your otherwise perfect headlight unit, but can you afford to stand your lorry for a week for something like this that should never have been fitted in the first place.

Someone send Mr Akio Toyoda a message for pete’s sake…
Hurry up and sort the Hino range out for the UK, there must be massive potential for a return to more simple and durable ‘it wasn’t broke so we didn’t fix it’ designs.
I have no intention of moving away from my older Japanese cars for similar reasons, they just keep on going, and when things need fixing? well they were designed to be fixed in the field in the first place.

You’ll approve of my mk 5 Transit then? :grimacing:

I would be ripping them out straight away…the 24v wiring is already there…so a conversion would be a cheaper option…a set of Rubberlights would do it. :smiley:

Theres a good chance its break in the wiring, over the years i.ve had 3 go out, 1st two were broken wires about 2 ft above the headlight, 3rd time it was goosed and the quickest fix was a new headlight ( some repair them but they never seem to look right)