Is it okay to be crap if you are an agency driver?

Generally speaking - is it expected for agency drivers to be good? I have never used a tacho or open curtains so I was going to ask them to show me when I turn up. But I don’t want to get sent away. I’ll watch some youtube videos and see if I can work it out myself.

Also do any of you have any tips on how you know if the load is actually secured? When you drive to drop something off do you have to open the curtains and take any straps off? If so do you have a set of ladders to get into the truck? I don’t want to come across clueless in real life tomorrow.

Final silly question - I don’t have steel toe caps. Does anyone check? I’m planning on wearing my walking boots as I don’t have time to go and buy any.

CUE::-- Diesel; Eager; Nodding et al

You’re going to get found out very quickly.

Not only is it ok, it’s fully expected mate, so don’t worry. :laughing:

Btw If I did not think (or rather know) you were on a ■■■■■■■■■ I would have answered your questions. :wink:

It’s not a ■■■■■■■■■

how are you meant to learn these things if you can’t ask at the company or on here?

I might have been a bit daft but everyone started from nothing once.

sammym:
I might have been a little creative with my experience and confidence with an agency. Actually, I went full on walter mitty mode. I signed up yesterday and have a job booked for tomorrow.

Generally speaking - is it expected for agency drivers to be good? I have never used a tacho or open curtains so I was going to ask them to show me when I turn up. But I don’t want to get sent away. I’ll watch some youtube videos and see if I can work it out myself.

Also do any of you have any tips on how you know if the load is actually secured? When you drive to drop something off do you have to open the curtains and take any straps off? If so do you have a set of ladders to get into the truck? I don’t want to come across clueless in real life tomorrow.

Final silly question - I don’t have steel toe caps. Does anyone check? I’m planning on wearing my walking boots as I don’t have time to go and buy any.

:laughing: Walking boots is a great idea,you certainly need them :wink:

Please please please post to let us know how it goes.

sammym:

I had someone stamp on my toes to check if I had steelies on once. I asked if I could kick them in the nads to check they were wearing a box.

It’s not rocket science bud .YouTube has many videos to help you out .Although I suspect more trolling bafoonery :unamused: :laughing:

Well it looks like I’m already shafted anyway.

I’m getting calls from an umbrella company now. I didn’t know it was an umbrella company… And I’d rather be paye or self employed. I don’t want to pay a fee for the pleasure of being paid.

I’m going to do the job as I’ve agreed. If I get sent home I don’t care - as I wouldn’t have agreed if I knew it was umbrella. After I’ll say I don’t want umbrella.

On the off chance anyone wants to help, but thinks I’m on a windup. Please PM me. I’m not going to get any kicks out of wasting your time especially if no one else will see. I want to know if I have to accept this umbrella nonesense.

Remind us all, when did you join TNUK ■■? :unamused: :slight_smile: :unamused: :unamused:

go and join stobarts agency, you will fit in well :laughing:

Just rock up mate and wing it you’ll be fine.

Load Security? Just bring a bit of blu tack with you, stick a bit on the bottom of each pallet - job done.

Watch a video on YouTube for tacho, take step by step notes. Watch Luke vernons video on curtains. Don’t tell them about your boots, no one cares to check

jbaz73:
Watch a video on YouTube for tacho, take step by step notes. Watch Luke vernons video on curtains.
Don’t tell them about your boots, no one cares to check

Till a FLT drives over your foot and you have to spend however long it takes to fill in this form, that form, etc.
Oh and probably have to go to hospital.
Wasn’t there a thread a few weeks back with a picture of someones boot after he had been caught by a fork lift truck?

pierrot 14:

Don’t involve me in this mate :open_mouth: I love agency drivers.

In fact, it was only just this morning that one helped me out. I found a damaged trailer in the yard and blamed him :grimacing:

eagerbeaver:

pierrot 14:

Don’t involve me in this mate :open_mouth: I love agency drivers.

In fact, it was only just this morning that one helped me out. I found a damaged trailer in the yard and blamed him :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jbaz73:
Watch a video on YouTube for tacho, take step by step notes. Watch Luke vernons video on curtains. Don’t tell them about your boots, no one cares to check

Cheers. That’s all I really was after. Some common sense advice.

I can drive the wagon. I’ve passed the test.

It’s just the other bits that you are not shown/taught that I’m worried about.

So…

Can anyone tell me if I have to remove straps from pallets? Or is that a job for the unloaders/loaders? I don’t want to stand there like an idiot. But similarly I don’t want to jump up and start climing over the wagon if I’m not meant to.

Cheers again.

Captain Caveman 76:

sammym:

I had someone stamp on my toes to check if I had steelies on once. I asked if I could kick them in the nads to check they were wearing a box.

they never believe you do they,i bought some steel cap trainers,the manager asked if they were steel’s,when I replied yes he walked over and stepped on the front of one of my trainers,not enough to damage but it was still annoying.