Waste work on class 1

Just wondering what the job is like with waste companies such as the likes of Veolia, viridor, biffa etc? What’s the work like on class 1? Where do you actually collect from and take the load to? I see plenty of class 2 vehicles in the corners of yards doing skip swaps etc but I’ve never seen a class 1 waste vehicle other than on the road.

Look at various options for day jobs :smiley:

Not entirely sure where they lift from but you’ll be tipping at sorting centre type places where they then sort it, shred it, smash it, grind it up into wee bits, put it in big piles then other folk come and take it to wherever. Wood for example into mixed recycled, white recycled and fines, that sort of idea. I’ve only ever seen it from the taking away side so I might be miles wrong.

I assume they lift from council places and skip firms and the like.

A.

I’ve done a bit of it and I used to take shredded paper waste from Tilbury docks to the Cemex plant in Rugby where it’s burnt to supply the plant with electricity.

Class 1 with Veolia is very straightforward, collect from a transfer station, tip at incinerators, land fill, facilities that shred household waste, wood or green waste, or those that separate paper, cardboard and plastics. Some of the places that you tip at are also transfer stations. Some days you get clear runs everywhere, other days you’ll find 4/5/6 others ahead of you for tipping/ collecting and get next to nothing done, for some reason some of the drivers get upset about either scenario :unamused:

has anyone done work for fcc environemtal on class they are currently advertising locally

Vid:
Class 1 with Veolia is very straightforward, collect from a transfer station, tip at incinerators, land fill, facilities that shred household waste, wood or green waste, or those that separate paper, cardboard and plastics. Some of the places that you tip at are also transfer stations. Some days you get clear runs everywhere, other days you’ll find 4/5/6 others ahead of you for tipping/ collecting and get next to nothing done, for some reason some of the drivers get upset about either scenario :unamused:

Truck drivers getting upset and moaning? Your having me on, that never happens

A lot of drivers in this particular sector,will be on percentage/load bonus.
This is why delays aren’t popular.

commonrail:

I guess that’s why drivers in this sector aren’t best pleased when they get stuck behind a driver like me who is paid hourly and is monitored with telematics for harsh brakes, over revvs, over speeds and fuel economy :smiling_imp:

A few minutes here and there won’t make a difference.
But a 2 hour wait to get tipped/loaded means your day is forked.

commonrail:

Contractors like Fred Sherwood’s and Yuill Dodd’s are paid like that but if direct for the big companies like Veolia, Biffa ,Viridor etc its I THINK either hourly or salaried.

We have a Viridor wagon loading out of our yard every day, well Monday to Friday, should easily do four loads per day to the same place back and fourth sometimes does three or less, on a walking floor with automatic sheet and back door a boring but probably one of the easiest class one jobs going I’d say!

Yes…the 3 companies the op mentions,are probably on hourly pay…as are sita.

The landfill near me is run by Viridor they have a couple of artics running from local transfer stations but most work is subbed out to countrystyle and heverin.