Youtube - M62 Winter 1979

Found this nice video, plenty of old trucks to look at, different world.
Nearly an hour long, Enjoy. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=qvw9DNQWymo

That’s a great watch thank you! Hows times have changed. I especially liked the ambulance losing control and crashing into the police car!

switchlogic:
That’s a great watch thank you! Hows times have changed. I especially liked the ambulance losing control and crashing into the police car!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the added bonus was that they laughed and didnt give a toss.
nowadays it would have been a h&s murder inquiry with the ambulance crew needing an ambulance.
i dont think theres many traffic cops nowadays would go for a 200 yd slide and end up on their bum in front of the cameras.
i was stuck there myself.it was so cold i had to put my denim jacket on when going to sleep on me board across the engine hump…to be fair,i woke up sweating during the night and had to take it off again. :slight_smile:

Enjoyed that. Them darting across the carriageway like a video game seems nuts but there’s something about the can do approach to just getting traffic moving again that’s really refreshing. It certainly shows how the police Range Rover became so legendary.

People say how the roads have got so much busier but it’s still pretty bloody busy then and we still haven’t solved the problem of middle lane hogging nearly half a century later it seems.

As above
They wanted to keep the road open , that was the idea , now they close a lane for a sack of spuds on the hard shoulder.
Try and spot a man without sideburns or a tache , mostly had both .
Men were men wi proper hairstyles , non of this basin cut nonsense.
Jim

Great video! Re cars, the Ford Cortina and Vauxhall Cavalier were in abundance…

Really enjoyed that. I’ve done the ice and snow bit, haven’t been caught in anything as bad as that. Love the way the coppers had a sense of humour in those days and just did the bloody job instead of worrying how they might get in trouble if they didn’t ask some other bugger first.

12:35. What speedo? We’re a fire engine we don’t need no stinking working speedo.

Also probable ex-squaddie who either saw tail end of WW2 or was BAOR telling German he can’t drive in L3 lol.

Really good. Thanks for posting it.
One point, look at 25mins. Have driving standards etc really fallen? There were still selfish, stupid, tossers driving 40 years back.

:smiley: I really enjoyed that, thanks to the o/p.

79, that’s when I first passed my test ffs :unamused: .
Different times then, I’ve just remembered why I actually had some respect for the Police then.
Those lads didn’t ■■■■ about with H&S risk assessment ■■■■■■■■ in those days, just get the job done. Loved the screaming orange ‘Jam sarnie’ Range Rovers pulling that tanker out of a jacknife :smiley:
Also those Traffic division lads ice skating on the m.way would be facing a disciplinary procedure nowadays. :unamused: and there would be a 10 day enquiry after that ambulance clipped that Police Granada.

No drivers wearing hi viz, guys trapped in their zero equipped cabs with no night heaters, drivers driving by the seat of their kecks in crapbag spec trucks with no phones or sat nav, and no planner on the end of a phone telling him when to wipe his arse.

Different days and a MUCH different job in those days :bulb: .
A good insight into it for those too young to remember it.
Got to wonder how many in the job today could do it then. There are many I know who could quite easily, but on the other hand there are a lot more who would not have a cat in hell’s. :laughing:
Had to laugh after hours of chaos and traffic carnage somebody says ‘‘I think we’ll need to close the Mway’’
No ■■■■ eh :smiley:

Just for the laugh, have another look ignore the vid and read some of the subtitles…comedy gold.

No PC then. Copper told driver “You are an idiot” :open_mouth:

brilliant watch, Britain before the elf n safety ■■■■’s took over!

Great stuff!..

I was expecting DI Jack Reagan to appear shouting ‘get the bustards!’

Sadly tailgating was in fashion all those years ago. I was a drivers mate back then, passed my class 1 in 83 but I remember those Range Rovers.

Not sure I’ve even seen a stripe on the M62 in the last 3 months.

Pure gold

yourhavingalarf:
Great stuff!..

I was expecting DI Jack Reagan to appear shouting ‘get the bustards!’

Sadly tailgating was in fashion all those years ago. I was a drivers mate back then, passed my class 1 in 83 but I remember those Range Rovers.

Not sure I’ve even seen a stripe on the M62 in the last 3 months.

I wonder whats better? Jam Sandwich in full sight to act as a deterrent? Unmarked cars, so you never know if or not youre being watched?

The good ol’ days before elf’n’safty, when common sense was king.

Superb post! So much to enjoy :grimacing: Copper telling bellend that he’s an idiot, driver spills glue all over the carriageway and has no idea what it is, agency ambulance driver, filth doing ’ Dancing on ice ’ etc… :laughing:

Ice Road Truckers…pffffffft. An orange cagoule, a stout moustache and a chin ■■■■■■■■ your peaked cap is all you need. I wonder if that rozzer wondered how much a back window for a Datsun Sunny would be worth in 40 years hence as he stuck his size nine shiny black brouge through it.

TerryDactyl.:
Ice Road Truckers…pffffffft. An orange cagoule, a stout moustache and a chin ■■■■■■■■ your peaked cap is all you need. I wonder if that rozzer wondered how much a back window for a Datsun Sunny would be worth in 40 years hence as he stuck his size nine shiny black brouge through it.

Or an E-type jag with a torn roof? Wonder if that guy survived? :open_mouth:

(Last thing he needed was for that agency ambulance driver to turn up for him) :laughing:

Knew a few of those M62 traffic guys back in the day and their main priority was to keep the Motorway open at all costs.

It was a daily occurrence pulling cars and lorries onto the hard shoulder with their Range Rovers to keep the carriageway clear no ■■■■■■■ about with total closures as they do today and as you saw they even doubled up and straightened that jack knifed tanker.

A copy of this should be sent to the pathetic wombles at the highways agency today to show them how to do the job properly and keep traffic moving.