Muffet spec lorry?

Anyone know why almost all muffet carrying 6 by 2 rigids have super singles on the front and 315s on the rear ? Wouldn’t it be better the other way round ? Or even have a midlift instead as I can’t see much rear lift lifting going on due to the weight .

I’m assuming because when “along came the spider that sat down beside her” it put the front axle overweight?

As for a Moffett specced vehicle I have no clue as I’ve never operated one :wink:

Maybe they have bigger weight axles on the fronts?

To compensate for the tuffet.

At work we’ve got a 14 plt MAN 26t 400 TGS and because of the Moffet they got for it he had to add 500kg+ (can’t remember exact amount ) of 1" plate to the front behind the cab to act as a counter weight so there’s your answer

The weight of the super singles may stop it wheelying [emoji23]

blue estate:
At work we’ve got a 14 plt MAN 26t 400 TGS and because of the Moffet they got for it he had to add 500kg+ (can’t remember exact amount ) of 1" plate to the front behind the cab to act as a counter weight so there’s your answer

This is the correct answer

Own Account Driver:

blue estate:

This is the correct answer

:grimacing:

I sometimes drive a 21 tonne scannia with a manitou on the back and it still picks its back axle up when empty and its not got any extra extra weight anywhere it was or larger tyres

Smiffy101:
I sometimes drive a 21 tonne scannia with a manitou on the back and it still picks its back axle up when empty and its not got any extra extra weight anywhere it was or larger tyres

Interesting

blue estate:

Cheers blue ,I know artics trailers do this .

Punchy Dan:

blue estate:

Cheers blue ,I know artics trailers do this .

If I get chance I’ll get some pics of the weights and post up

Most of the trucks I see rigged for Moffat etc are all quite long wheelbase with relatively short rear overhangs.
If you were operating without the forklift attached I think you would need to be very careful how you loaded the flat as it would be easy to overload the front axle (unless it was an eight wheeler)
Agree with Dan about midlift seeming to be a better option, although I despise them with a vengeance!

There’s one thing the midlift would definatly lift when empty .

Almost kills me to agree with you lad.
But they are the devil’s work in every other way!!

Smiffy101:

Depends on its factory built weight. Two identically specced chassis but different makes will have varying cab/engine/gearbox/ axle weights ect. Your Scania may have more weight as standard over the front axle than the MAN mentioned…

I have a 290 daf 26t with moffett and it has a 9 ton axle on the front. We carry a lot of plasterboard and powder so we need the available capacity. The rear will lift at low speeds but won’t stay up even if empty. My moffett is 3 ton and we don’t have any extra plates on the headboard to balance it out. We have 4 artics with two of them urban trailers and apparently they are very light on pin when empty and would massively benefit from a counter weight.

AndrewG:

Smiffy101:

Depends on its factory built weight. Two identically specced chassis but different makes will have varying cab/engine/gearbox/ axle weights ect. Your Scania may have more weight as standard over the front axle than the MAN mentioned…

Bigger tyres needed to support the weight of Kelsa bars, lights and heavy duty frilly curtains normally found on a Scania.

I’ll get me coat…

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

AndrewG:

Smiffy101:

Bigger tyres needed to support the weight of Kelsa bars, lights and heavy duty frilly curtains normally found on a Scania.

I’ll get me coat…

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: