Another shot

So we hear a lot of the " the job is not the same" “don’t bother getting a licence”.
Wages are down and many more reasons.

So I am interested and ask the question;
If you had a chance for a fresh start at another trade/career what that would be?

I mean, lets say you had a bit of time, a decent money to invest on yourself (for argument sake lets say same amount to get a Class 1 Licence) and with demands and current market situation, what would you consider to be a good bet for a decent wage, good life balance, short financial and time investment?

Electrician? Plumber? Crane?

Furniture maker/timber frame house builder/ something working with wood and not cnc/mdf crap.

Funeral director. People are always going to die and your customers aren’t ever going to complain. Decent company car too.

Captain Caveman 76:
Funeral director. People are always going to die and your customers aren’t ever going to complain. Decent company car too.

I’ll make the boxes for you!

Offshore…

International corporate investment fund management.

Something that will earn me huge amounts of cash before I was 30. Then open up a nice little car sales business (low mileage German stuff) and work 10 til 4 every day.

I delivered a brand new VW Golf to a girl who worked in Canary Wharf, she was 20 years old. The Golf was paid for (in full) out of her 3 monthly bonus.

If I had have followed my dream when I was 17, I would have been an engine builder. The workings of the internal combustion engine always, and still do, fascinate me.

I suppose the ultimate goal wold have been race engines.

Ken.

TiredAndEmotional:
Furniture maker/timber frame house builder/ something working with wood and not cnc/mdf crap.

Good call on the cabinet maker bit. Maybe watchmaker, jewellery too?
Classic car mechanic, not a meat puppet obeying the instructions of a modern car`s computer.

Im fairly happy with my present driving job, however I dont know I`d recommend anyone to start in road transport tomorrow.

Franglais:

TiredAndEmotional:

Classic car mechanic, not a meat puppet obeying the instructions of a modern car`s computer.

Im fairly happy with my present driving job, however I dont know I`d recommend anyone to start in road transport tomorrow.

You might enjoy this mans’ work.

youtube.com/channel/UCworsK … 6-BnIjS2MA

TiredAndEmotional:

Franglais:

TiredAndEmotional:

Excellent. I can see my chores for the day being postponed…again.

I didn’t leave school wanting to drive trucks, but looking back the type of jobs that interested me involved travelling, it was just I couldn’t get those jobs.

However the jobs I did get I seemed to work with people that had or were travelling the World to do their job and it sounded far better than being stuck in the same building day in, day out and years of warehouse and office work has confirmed that.

So I really have the job that suits me, a few downsides, but I know a normal 9-5 day job would be worse for me. However if I were able to change I like to be involved with some cutting edge R&D work, but would still need to be travelling.

Years ago, I was semi pro bellydancer (too old, too wide now) :cry: . There are some that travel round the world, teaching and performing. I’ve had teachers from all round Europe, States, Brazil, N Africa, Middle East. Unless you are lucky, you’ll not earn a fortune, but it would be a lot of fun. :smiley:

albion:
Years ago, I was semi pro bellydancer

Well I don’t think many on here could claim to have done that or even considered it as a career option. :laughing:

albion:
too old, too wide now

Although I think 90% of can relate to that. :laughing:

Politician, been in this industry 30 odd years so am an expert on backstabbing and lying.

A ranger for the national trust

Cameraman or a director .

commonrail:
A ranger for the national trust

Great job low pay .I’ve done simular was really good .I love out door nature stuff :sunglasses:

When i left school, i got a job in Car Body shop and i served my time to become a Panel beater… :slight_smile:

but at that time i prefered driving to fixing, so i left and the rest is history… good and bad History :laughing:

i often do wonder if i made the right choice :question: but hey ho :neutral_face:

albion:
Years ago, I was semi pro bellydancer (too old, too wide now) :cry: . There are some that travel round the world, teaching and performing. I’ve had teachers from all round Europe, States, Brazil, N Africa, Middle East. Unless you are lucky, you’ll not earn a fortune, but it would be a lot of fun. :smiley:

A little clip of Albion in her previous career.

youtube.com/watch?v=YamDoDK71Ds

Franglais:

TiredAndEmotional:

Franglais:

TiredAndEmotional:

Excellent. I can see my chores for the day being postponed…again.

+1

A couple of things I’ve daydreamt about lately… opening a self-access storage depot, or opening a new, and very much needed truckstop. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough money for either, and I don’t want to deal with investors.

I always fancied psychological therapy, earnt my degree a few years ago, but had a big change of heart once I got into it. If there was such a job as ‘classic commercial restorer’ I’d could be tempted away from driving.