Mixing cargo on tankers

chester1:

khdgsa:
I once worked for Cleanaway as a “Chempac” chemist.
My tanker driver called me one day as he had a part load of caustic soda on, and his next job was collecting PVA glue. He didn’t want to have to tip the caustic first and as far as I was concerned it was fine, off you go…(obviously it wasn’t really my call).

About five hours later I get a call from Technical Control telling me I need to get up to Pitsea landfill NOW (about 4pm on a Friday, so a run from Southampton to Essex was going to be fun). When I finally arrived, I’m trooped out to the tip face to the tanker and the back door is swung open - and I’m confronted with a 15 tonne, translucent white jelly, slowly wobbling in the sunset! I’m handed a pick axe and a shovel, and am left to get on with it.

I once left bentonite on a tank overnite .wont do that again in a hurry lol

Why is that then? We used to sit with Bentonite in tanks for days whilst P&G decide they had room for it, and that was after having brought it from Italy, it came out without any problem. The main issue with Bentonite was to ensure a totally dry tank before loading due to it being anhydrous and expanding hugely if it gets wet. I’m just curious what your experience was.