Staying in cab on ferry

I’m just curious if many others stay down in the cab during boat crossings?

I nearly always do at night or early morning but after that fire on Stena Britannica it makes you see the potential dangers of it.

hammertothefloor:

I nearly always do at night or early morning but after that fire on Stena Britannica it makes you see the potential dangers of it.

I used to, but not since I missed the Herald.

During the summer months…

When the channel ferries were rammed with tourists and kids. You end up being allocated 4 to a cabin. That’s never any fun especially if one or more of your trucking buddies isn’t shower friendly. I’d always sleep in my truck because I got a much better nights sleep.

But yeh, fire is a real threat down below.

Do it fairly regularly.
The cabin cleaners on the Dublin/Holyhead wake you near 75mins before frigging boat docks so extra 60 mins Zzzzzzzz in truck bunk!!![emoji41]

Not too many truckers up for breaky on 0330/0400 Scottish/NI tubs either!!![emoji50]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Don’t tend to do it on any other than Dover Calais, Brittany boats I usually pay for a cabin by myself which is 20 quid well spent IMO.

A.

I know some that do on cross channel ferries, but I wouldn’t I don’t like it when you go back to the truck and they seem to take an age to open the doors.

Didn’t know anything about this ferry fire, seemed to be nothing on the local news, must have been something far more important to report, Barry from Banham’s picture of last night sunset. :confused:

Serious hat on…

Are you actually allowed below decks during te crossing? I thought that after the “Herald” disaster, sleeping in vehicles, and being below decks in general, was prohibited. Or is that just some companies?

the nodding donkey:
Serious hat on…

Are you actually allowed below decks during te crossing? I thought that after the “Herald” disaster, sleeping in vehicles, and being below decks in general, was prohibited. Or is that just some companies?

No you’re not allowed back except for exceptional circumstances, but if you don’t leave you cab, its unlikely that the crew bother to check, I’m sure they know it goes on.

the nodding donkey:

hammertothefloor:

I was actually booked onto the Herald but I missed it because I was delayed at the Iranian embassy that day.

Harry Monk:

the nodding donkey:

hammertothefloor:

I was actually booked onto the Herald but I missed it because I was delayed at the Iranian embassy that day.

Same here. I was meant for it too.

But I was on BLACK OPS. (Can’t talk about it :arrow_right: )

eagerbeaver:

Harry Monk:

the nodding donkey:

hammertothefloor:

Same here. I was meant for it too.

But I was on BLACK OPS. (Can’t talk about it :arrow_right: )

I was also serving my Country that night, :open_mouth:

I was going to my Air Cadets meeting, but apparently this is now considered as service to one’s Country and due respect must be given. :wink:

I got kicked out of the Air cadets as I refused to wear the blue serge trousers as they made my legs itch, and the fact I ■■■■■■■ a prefect at school who also happened to be a junior cadet warrent officer didn’t help me a lot either :slight_smile:

edit … wont let me use the word ■■■■■■■ so mean … thumped !!

raymundo:
I got kicked out of the Air cadets as I refused to wear the blue serge trousers as they made my legs itch, and the fact I [zb] a prefect at school who also happened to be a junior cadet warrent officer didn’t help me a lot either :slight_smile:

Ah, classic mistake. It’s the senior service that’s into that kind of thing, not the fly boys. .

the nodding donkey:

raymundo:
I got kicked out of the Air cadets as I refused to wear the blue serge trousers as they made my legs itch, and the fact I [zb] a prefect at school who also happened to be a junior cadet warrent officer didn’t help me a lot either :slight_smile:

Ah, classic mistake. It’s the senior service that’s into that kind of thing, not the fly boys. .

So why all the Brylcreem ■■

muckles:

the nodding donkey:
Serious hat on…

No you’re not allowed back except for exceptional circumstances, but if you don’t leave you cab, its unlikely that the crew bother to check, I’m sure they know it goes on.

Oh they know it goes on alright,
Saw a Tang having to be banged up on truck door TWICE last week by crew on P&O!!!

Big Truck:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:
Serious hat on…

Saw a Tang having to be banged up on truck door TWICE last week by crew on P&O!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it wasnt me!!
if im eating on the cairnryan boats,il go upstairs and endure the remaining boredom,holyhead,birkenhead belfast,then il never go upstairs.
when the birkenhead boat drops the clutch,then set your alarm for 7 .1/2 hours later,and you will wake up in time to relax,have a stretch,find your pish bottle,and get up in nice time .
ive lost count of the number of times ive driven off the boat looking for my other sock though… :slight_smile:

Big Truck:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:
Serious hat on…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it wasnt me!!
if im eating on the cairnryan boats,il go upstairs and endure the remaining boredom,holyhead,birkenhead belfast,then il never go upstairs.
when the birkenhead boat drops the clutch,then set your alarm for 7 .1/2 hours later,and you will wake up in time to relax,have a stretch,find your pish bottle,and get up in nice time .
ive lost count of the number of times ive driven off the boat looking for my other sock though… :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

Big Truck:

muckles:

the nodding donkey:
Serious hat on…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it wasnt me!!

That’s like me on Dublin/Holyhead just set 3 hours after the clutch is dropped lol. Last Saturday night/Sunday morning I was rapped up at 6am to get on the Harwich/Hoek boat, absolutely no warning straight out of bed and onto the saddle and drive straight onto the boat, drove on in just boxers and slippers and had to clear customs and all fs! the pish bottle is a necessity on a boat any longer than a couple of hours, seen a Sawyers fella come off the boat in Cairnryan and have a ■■■■ in broad daylight right beside the lanes for the boat, safe to say was probably a flip flop

aye did it all the time ,but when the Herald went over they went nuts for a while on the cairnryan and stranraer boats banging on doors telling you tae get upstairs.

they still do it on the dublin boat about 30 mins across.the trick is not to kak yourself and jump up to see whos hanging onto the mirror banging the door if you can.
the crew are taliban,so they just go through the motions of ushering you off the deck.
so long as it looks like your going upstairs,then you can just do a u turn and get back into the cab as they wont come back again… :slight_smile: