A bridge too far

Well it looks like good old Boris is still living in a dream world. Don’t get me wrong, he’s done a few good things and quite a few bonkers things and he talks gibberish but I think this is a bridge too far.
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42743909

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

What a ■■■■ !! The Dartford Xing was closed cos of a wee breeze predicted on Thursday early, can imagine the chaos when the prevailing SW’ly winds get up to gale force as they do quite often around that area due to the land formation and they close the Channel Bridge ■■?

I thought Boris was quite good as a panelist on “Have I Got News For You”.
Everything since has been beyond him.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Some Liberian…

Registered cargo vessel with a captain from Shanghai, a first mate from Latvia and the rest of the crew from various countries dotted around the globe will without a shadow of a doubt, drive/sail/naviagte (CBA with the correct nautical term) straight into one the piers on it’s first day.

I think a Bridge could work, or rather a bridge tunnel like the Oresund Crossing from Denmark to Sweden. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility and in fact some bridge designs were considered decades ago before they settled on a tunnel. Google it.

Interesting to see how much it’ll cost, the 2nd Severn crossing cost £330,000,000 back in 1996 for approx 3.2 miles of bridge and the channel bridge would be approx 22 miles long set in deeper water so I’m guessing about 4 billion at the very least.

I do however think maybe one day something will get built .

raymundo:
What a ■■■■ !! The Dartford Xing was closed cos of a wee breeze predicted on Thursday early, can imagine the chaos when the prevailing SW’ly winds get up to gale force as they do quite often around that area due to the land formation and they close the Channel Bridge ■■?

I for one wouldn’t want to go over the dartford crossing with a “wee” 70mph breeze cutting across it. :open_mouth:

Engineering wise it’ll be possible. A mixed bridge/tunnel would effectively exclude suffers from vertigo and claustrophobia. It’d be a smaller target for shipping but would narrow one if the busiest shipping channels. Even if the boats missed the bridge piers they’d be more likely to hit each other.
Finance? Maybe the existing tunnel company would pay for it? After theyve paid off the initial debt in 2083 they can start saving up. By the time constructistarts the specs will have changed- sea level rises mean it will need to go from The Brecons to The Vosges.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Edit.
Of course it could be a cheap political trick to gain publicity by supporting big ideas that won’t come to fruition. Can’t see how that can do any harm?

I wonder if Corillion will tender for it?

switchlogic:
I think a Bridge could work, or rather a bridge tunnel like the Oresund Crossing from Denmark to Sweden. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility and in fact some bridge designs were considered decades ago before they settled on a tunnel. Google it.

^^
The channel bridge tunnel was the first thing I thought of, so I did google it. :smiley:

As the article said a bridge might cause problems in one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, but bridge builders have faced those problems before, The Britannia bridge had to have a span far larger than had been tried before because of the Royal Navy’s requirements to sail through the Menai straights.
However I think the idea is unlikely to happen, but sometimes it takes people to think beyond the unlikely to move things on, the same as Boris island got a lot of ridicule, but it not much different to what many other countries have done to get vast amounts of land for an international airport in a crowded area.

It’d probably work out cheaper just to tow Britain 20 odd miles closer to France.

Johnson is a candle in the wind publicity merchant, sadly all too likely to be our PM at some point in the future, probably after the third (decider) referendum when he’ll suddenly do a U turn (like Corbyn) and opt for remain again.

So Boris wants to build a bridge to France .He was the idiot that scraped the bridge that was to go across
the river Thames in London and was ment to open this year.

theguardian.com/environment … nemissions

There’s only one question to ask about this idea.
…WHY? :unamused:

muckles:

switchlogic:

^^
The channel bridge tunnel was the first thing I thought of, so I did google it. :smiley:
EuroRoute | Roads.org.uk

As the article said a bridge might cause problems in one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, but bridge builders have faced those problems before, The Britannia bridge had to have a span far larger than had been tried before because of the Royal Navy’s requirements to sail through the Menai straights.
However I think the idea is unlikely to happen, but sometimes it takes people to think beyond the unlikely to move things on, the same as Boris island got a lot of ridicule, but it not much different to what many other countries have done to get vast amounts of land for an international airport in a crowded area.

Brilliant isn’t it. I’d dearly love to see something like that constructed. Like most I’d much prefer being able you drive across the channel and the two islands could end up being must visit destinations in their own right. Weather wouldn’t be an issue, just like the Second Seven Crossing it would have windbreaks. I doubt it’ll happen in our lifetimes

the maoster:
It’d probably work out cheaper just to tow Britain 20 odd miles closer to France.

Somewhere out there…

In Ytube land or an archive, you’ll find one of The Goodies in a small rowing boat doing exactly that.

bald bloke:
Interesting to see how much it’ll cost, the 2nd Severn crossing cost £330,000,000 back in 1996 for approx 3.2 miles of bridge and the channel bridge would be approx 22 miles long set in deeper water so I’m guessing about 4 billion at the very least.

I do however think maybe one day something will get built .

And the rest! The Queensferry Crossing cost £1.35bn…

A full length mcr to sheff pennine tunnel is a no but this is a yes?

Get to ■■■■

robroy:
There’s only one question to ask about this idea.
…WHY? :unamused:

possibly theres someone has thought of the chance that some of the illegals trying to smuggle themselves in will try to sue britain for restricting their rights of access due to them being too claustrophobic for the tunnel,and getting seasick hanging onto the trailer axles on the ferry. looks like a good human rights claim could come out of that when you think of what they get away with till now?

SuperMultiBlue:
A full length mcr to sheff pennine tunnel is a no but this is a yes?

Get to [zb]

It’s not a "Yes " either.
It’s a idea floated by a publicity seeking politician that stands almost no chance of ever happening.