Hazchem IBC's

Anyone know what the deal is with picking up empty IBC’s that have had hazardous stuff inside?

What is ‘nominally empty’ in regards to the amount of product left in it? 1ltr? 10ltr?

TIA

Empty but not cleaned out,I believe.

Gidders:

^^^^ correct. Empty and not cleaned = still under the regs. Empty and cleaned = not under the regs.

the maoster:

Gidders:

^^^^ correct. Empty and not cleaned = still under the regs. Empty and cleaned = not under the regs.

Still under the regs - meaning ■■? ADR required? Orange plates?

Any links greatly appreciated.

Honked:
Anyone know what the deal is with picking up empty IBC’s that have had hazardous stuff inside?

What is ‘nominally empty’ in regards to the amount of product left in it? 1ltr? 10ltr?

TIA

Hi Honked,

Nominally empty is just that… said to be empty, but may contain the residue of dangerous goods.

99% of nominally empty IBCs are in ADR Transport Category 4, which means they can be carried without limit.

All you need is 1 X 2kg ADR compliant dry powder fire extinguisher and some ADR ‘awareness’ training which has been documented, but NOT an ADR licence or orange plates or documentation etc.

Nothing else in ADR applies. :wink:

The other 1% of IBCs (quite rare) have contained extremely dangerous stuff that is in ADR Transport Category 0, which means they are fully subject to everything in ADR even when nominally empty.

Honked:

:bulb: Your boss should already know this, but it’s sorted now. :smiley:

dieseldave:

Honked:

Thanks Dave. Always better to be prepared with info before the dummy comes out :confused:

So a couple of questions if you don’t mind…

I pick up a nominally empty hazchem ibc, do I need to fill in a normal waste note or a hazchem waste note?
What would happen to me if I did option 1 but needed option 2?
What would happen to me if one of the IBC’s had 100 ltrs in it?

cheers for the advice.

Honked:

dieseldave:

Honked:

Thanks Dave. Always better to be prepared with info before the dummy comes out :confused:

So a couple of questions if you don’t mind…

I pick up a nominally empty hazchem ibc, do I need to fill in a normal waste note or a hazchem waste note?
What would happen to me if I did option 1 but needed option 2?
What would happen to me if one of the IBC’s had 100 ltrs in it?

cheers for the advice.

Hi Honked,

Sorry, but your OP didn’t mention “waste.”

Are the empty IBCs actually going as waste? Or are they going back to be re-used/re-filled?

If an IBC has 100L in it, then it isn’t nominally empty.
In that case, I’d have to know what was in it, because it might/could be that it becomes subject to ADR.
This is done on the basis of the substance name, UN Class and Packing Group. Then the amount of ADR ‘allowance’ can be known.

Going back to be scrapped if no good, washed out and reused if OK.

Usually corrosive and carcinogenic labels that get me nervous.

Honked:
Going back to be scrapped if no good, washed out and reused if OK.

So… for the time that you’re carrying them, the decision to scrap (which then means it’s waste) hasn’t been taken, so not relevant in this case.

I’d say it’s wise to get even the scrappers washed out at the time the decision is taken, then that keeps the “waste” job tidy. :smiley:

Honked:
Usually corrosive and carcinogenic labels that get me nervous.

That shouldn’t be a problem because the IBCs can only be carried if they’re fully closed and not leaking, otherwise you wouldn’t carry them… right!! :smiley:

I’m not sure I’ve seen a “carcinogenic” label, what does it look like?

Health hazard and described as carcinogenic
bottom right diamond

Honked:
Health hazard and described as carcinogenic

Ahh… OK, those are GHS labels, but I was only thinking of UN Class labels, hence my confusion.

The label you referred to can indeed mean ‘carcinogenic’ although that label is also used to express an inhalation/health hazard.

If you see that label, it’s not automatic that the substance is carcinogenic.

Either way up, you wouldn’t want to breath any fumes/vapour.

Cheers again. Looks like today may be interesting :confused:

Aerosol surfectant UN1993
Flammable
Empty
Is that ok as safe to carry?

Honked:
Aerosol surfectant UN1993
Flammable
Empty
Is that ok as safe to carry?

Hi Honked,

Aerosols are normally UN 1950.

UN 1993 is an N.O.S. entry for Class 3 (flammable liquid,) so that means that the info you’ve given is insufficient, but if it’s just one empty, my guess is that you can carry it.

Is it one of those refillable trigger-spray things??

No it’s an empty ibc