A6 Shap Trucker Memorial

Can anyone give me an exact location or a postcode for this goods vehicles memorial. Will be going southbound so looking for best junction off the M6 to take for it.

Thanks in advance

google.co.uk/maps/@54.44910 … 312!8i6656
if going south on the M6 come off at J39 and rejoin at J37. Maybe best avoid it during the current bad weather.

Thanks, going to scatter some ashes so just making sure we know where we are going. Hopefully the weather holds out.

What’s the story behind the memorial?

Its at a layby on top of Shap fell A6 - easy to see, just look out for a lump of rock.

As mentioned would avoid currently as theres snow forecast this weekend and its pretty guaranteed that road will be shut. Think M74 levels of snow.

Cheers folks. supposed to be going down tomorrow morning trev but dont think its a good idea.

couldn’t even begin to imagine what it must have been like for the truckers of the 40s/50s/60s,hardly any had sleeper cabs[I know most went into B&B]my dad[old school, 40 yrs a trucker] told me,he used a board at times across the seats,but the guy’s who went regularly across shap must have had nerves of steel,i couldn’t have done it,i read different stories about these drivers and the conditions they faced,sometimes real hardship,glad they have a memorial there to them and others

You say you plan to scatter ashes…is it an old time driver.?

I used to go that route as a boy with my Dad in old Albions, Commers, BMCs, and Leylands in the 60s, and through the Lake District.
I also remember eating in the old Jungle Cafe there.
He would never take me in the winter for obvious reasons.

truckman020:
couldn’t even begin to imagine what it must have been like for the truckers of the 40s/50s/60s,hardly any had sleeper cabs[I know most went into B&B]my dad[old school, 40 yrs a trucker] told me,he used a board at times across the seats

A lot of drivers never had sleepers in the 70s and early 80s either.
I’ve often used makeshift beds in day cabs, either a board across the engine, or across the seats… with no night heaters in winter (what a hero eh :smiley: ) it’s just what you done then until you ‘earned’ a sleeper.

I could not imagine some of the sorry arsed twunts in the job today doing that, there are some who wouldn’t sleep in a cab if it came with a free supermodel companion…the (in a squeaky voice) I need to get back to ‘my own bed’ posse. :unamused:
Come to think of it if I knew then what I know now neither would I. (The board across the bonnet, not the supermodel btw :laughing: )

robroy:

truckman020:
couldn’t even begin to imagine what it must have been like for the truckers of the 40s/50s/60s,hardly any had sleeper cabs[I know most went into B&B]my dad[old school, 40 yrs a trucker] told me,he used a board at times across the seats

I’ve often used makeshift beds in day cabs, either a board across the engine, or across the seats… with no night heaters in winter (what a hero eh :smiley: ) it’s just what you done then until you ‘earned’ a sleeper.

I could not imagine some of the sorry arsed twunts in the job today doing that, there are some who wouldn’t sleep in a cab if it came with a free supermodel companion…the (in a squeaky voice) I need to get back to ‘my own bed’ posse. :unamused:
Come to think of it if I knew then what I know now neither would I. (The board across the bonnet, not the supermodel btw :laughing: )

Yeah brings back good and bad memories going over shap once a week on a regular basis in the 70’s. Some horrendous conditions in the winter, pathetic vehicle heater and crappy little wipers and mirrors that let you see very little. Always treated it as a challenge and quite enjoyed it then although would not like to try it now. :smiley:

robroy:

I used to go that route as a boy with my Dad in old Albions, Commers, BMCs, and Leylands in the 60s, and through the Lake District.

Yeh mate, used to tell me some great hairy stories about the old shap when i was thinking the wind and snow were bad coming up from tebay to the summit.

On the jungle, is it true you could literally get most things in there to sercice your needs?

Looking at the forecast i think it might not be the best idea for tomorrow though.

H4L:

robroy:

Yeh mate, used to tell me some great hairy stories about the old shap when i was thinking the wind and snow were bad coming up from tebay to the summit.

On the jungle, is it true you could literally get most things in there to sercice your needs?

Looking at the forecast i think it might not be the best idea for tomorrow though.

Don’t know what kind of ‘‘needs’’ you’re on about mate, but I was only a boy with my Dad at the time. :smiley:
Have heard a few tales since though, from some of the old boys. :wink:

It’s a bit of a tricky one since you can have an inch of snow at the bottom of the hill, then 2+ feet at the top. It’s alright if you’ve got an old Rover Metro but wouldn’t recommend taking a BMW (seen far too many pointing the wrong way including several that overtook me).

As for trucks - I can’t imagine most modern trucks managing to get up Shap fell A6 in any vague amount of snow or ice. Had enough problems convincing a 44T’er to get up a hill in the wet, never mind the snow, but if going south there’s two uphills to tackle. Anyone doing that either had balls or was clinically insane…or they were ■■■■■■■■ in which case “we saw more snow in the Summer of 19■■ than we got up there today” (when it’s 4’ deep). :slight_smile:

For the original asker - if you’re going by truck, please note there’s a railway bridge at Kendal end of A6 (forgotten the height). They also forget to put the road closed sign up on occasions at the Shap (village) end sometimes.

robroy:

H4L:

robroy:

Don’t know what kind of ‘‘needs’’ you’re on about mate, but I was only a boy with my Dad at the time. :smiley:
Have heard a few tales since though, from some of the old boys. :wink:

Hahaha there was an older driver from kirkby stephen the other day telling me how the jungle was the type of place you could be completely satisfied with your visit. If they knew you (and they quite often did) you could get anything you desired. Didn’t know if he was talking ■■■■■ or not.

One tale I heard from an old seasoned proper old style ‘‘Lorry Driver,’’ was about this, shall we say…not very ‘streetwise’ driver, who was going to get married to a girl who worked there, and who was ‘famous’ for all the wrong reasons. :wink:

A couple of his mates tried to warn him off by saying…
‘‘Are you sure about this, half of ■■■■■■■ has been there’’
He replied…
‘‘Yeh, but ■■■■■■■ aint a very big county’’ :unamused: :laughing:

robroy:

truckman020:

i’m one of those '‘I like my own bed posse’'but I wouldn’t say no to the supermodel,reckon she could change my mind

truckman020:

robroy:

truckman020:

i’m one of those ‘‘I like my own bed posse’’

Yeh ok, …but do you say it in a squeaky voice? :laughing:

robroy:

truckman020:

robroy:

truckman020:

i’m one of those ‘‘I like my own bed posse’’

Yeh ok, …but do you say it in a squeaky voice? :laughing:

nah,my voice is kind of deep,mind you I have worked with the squeaky voiced types,makes you feel uncomfortable

at the bottom of the link road between the M6 J39, and A6… turn left
it is then 4.6 miles to the layby… you will have gone past the old quarry and cemex depot on your left, then past entrance to shap wells hotel,
then past another quarry on your right , then you go round a right hand bend and climb uphill on a 3 lane section of road, when you get to the top and level out , the long layby on your left is the one you’re looking for…