Red line suzie helper

Yes I know sounds a bit dodgy but this is a serious question to a painful issue.

I have managed to wicker both my arms (torn muscles) and a major culprit is clearly the crap maintenance of red line suzie connectors. Trying to overcome 120psi can be a bit of a bar steward especially in cramped conditions (fridges and skellies are sods as the connections are so low down) it has got me thinking can I find an engineering solution so that I can work whilst my arms recover.

What in my mind I have come up with is some sort of device which in essence is like two spanners hanging vertically down so these would clamp around the innermost threads in board of the valves on both the trailer (they will never be the same angles - different trailers/units so a rigid gate won’t work) and unit and then a lever that you can pull (or push depending upon how it is engineered) the male and female couplings together. I think a large version of these levers might be used in the oil rig industry? One then has to find a way of turning the thread but that might be ok, you just don’t want the tension to be released whilst trying to do it.

I appreciate this is a serious bit of engineering but driving rigids and tail lifts won’t solve the problem either.

Any thoughts?

A solution to this…

Problem is needed. My arms are falling to bits through shoving these godforsaken things on every day. My left arm went pop some years ago putting a red line on, it’s only matter of time before my right arm goes the same way.

Sure, I can drop all the air but, that just takes a barrel load of time.

At the very leat you’d think that the truck and trailer manufacturers could at least agree on aligning the couplings opposite each other in order.

Put a Ball valve tap in like there used to be ,just take the handle off so no one spots it :open_mouth:

Got to agree sandfisher…i sometimes have to use my knee to give a bit more leveridge…i suppose the easiest is a set of Palm Couplings but still problematic if your changing trailers everyday.

I find a squirt of WD40 before connecting helps and doing the yellow line first, on or off, but I do fit between the headboard and back of the cab on all of our trailers so I’m always square on which helps too.

You’ll get more behind it if you split couple even when you wouldn’t normally need to. Gives you so much more space and no squeezing past greasy bits.

Alternatively try having porridge in the morning and taking some man up pills.

A.

Porridge? Don’t you mean spinach, like that sailor chap.

Normally I have no real issues myself but do find lubing the tip can help.
A colleague at work asked me to assist with a particularly stiff one the other day, took both of us taking turns before the bugger went in.

I think a tool would be handy though as age catches up with me sure it’s not long before some mechanical help is gonna be required, if it’s nothing more than to stop me pulling a muscle all the time.

One of the lady truckers at work says she finds it helps by blowing down the hole and working the collar forward and backwards a lot but I think she was being rude and winding me up.

Do you mean a tool like this

grube.eu/forestry/harvester … ing-pliers

Smiffy101:

Yesss!. Expensive but a couple of shifts would save my arms. I’ll have a closer look.

Ta buddy.

I think its worst when the trailer you’re connecting to has just been dropped by the shunter or another driver so has full air pressure and it fights you when you try to put the suzie on. It is strange how you can go all week with them seemingly just dropping on then you get just one trailer where you’re there going red in the face and it won’t go on for love nor money and its not a fault with the suzie because its just gone on the one before, its not a fault with the trailer because last time you coupled up to it a few days ago it was fine. Sometimes I’ve found putting the yellow on first has helped the situation.

Sand Fisher:

Smiffy101:

Yesss!. Expensive but a couple of shifts would save my arms. I’ll have a closer look.

Ta buddy.

If you get one…

Of these. Come back and let me know if it’s any good please.

Ta. :smiley:

As referred to above.I dare say the modern couplings are considered safer but I always preferred a tap or palm couplings.It’s simple to make up adapters.I don’t doubt that VOSA would disapprove.I also found C couplings difficult through a torn bicep playing rugby,and arthritis as advancing age progressed.

Adonis.:
You’ll get more behind it if you split couple even when you wouldn’t normally need to. Gives you so much more space and no squeezing past greasy bits.

Alternatively try having porridge in the morning and taking some man up pills.

A.

I always split couple even if I don’t have a fridge it’s so much easier but then again some firms apparently don’t let you do it.

I am surprised that no involvement of the HSE or even dare I say any unions has ever been involved in this issue. I always use my knee to push them up into place, this puts strain on the actual hose as well as hurts your knees. A simple quarter turn valve could and should be put in line which could be locked in the on position for safety.

I mostly keep the same unit and trailer, keep these connections lubed lightly and connecting up is easy, when you get one where the regular jockey is averse to using a bit of common sense, ie lube, it’s many times more difficult, you find their door hinges and locks have never seen a drop of lube either so its a battle just to unlock and open the door :unamused:

yourhavingalarf:
A solution to this…

Problem is needed. My arms are falling to bits through shoving these godforsaken things on every day. My left arm went pop some years ago putting a red line on, it’s only matter of time before my right arm goes the same way.

There is a solution.The benefits of using palm couplings in that regard among others outweigh any downsides. :bulb: :wink:

UKtramp:
I am surprised that no involvement of the HSE or even dare I say any unions has ever been involved in this issue. I always use my knee to push them up into place, this puts strain on the actual hose as well as hurts your knees. A simple quarter turn valve could and should be put in line which could be locked in the on position for safety.

Weak.

A.

Dribble a little diesel in the connector it works wonders

Go to the gym? Or just get a warehouse body to do it. :sunglasses: