Scania night heater error

My night heater makes the noise like it’s gettin going, smokes like it normally does, but then no warm air ever comes through and after about a minute I get a bleep with it flashing heater error.

Is there anything that’s worth checking before I tell the office I ain’t going back down the road next week at this time of year if it’s not fixed for Monday.

And before anyone tells me well we didn’t have em 20 years ago so man up…well we do now and I ain’t got the extra blankets or get paid enough to sleep in freezing conditions with no heat!

If it’s not sorted, just use the 11/12 litre 400(?) hp night-heater. They’ll soon get the proper one fixed!! :laughing:

First check the air intake inside the cab, I once booked a service appointment only to find out that a blanket had covered it :laughing:

If that doesn’t help, turn it all the way to the max and see if it keeps going. If it does, run it like that for a few hours to burn off the sud accumulated in the chamber.

milodon:
First check the air intake inside the cab, I once booked a service appointment only to find out that a blanket had covered it [emoji38]

If that doesn’t help, turn it all the way to the max and see if it keeps going. If it does, run it like that for a few hours to burn off the sud accumulated in the chamber.

As above. 1st check air intake. Fluff etc can block off the grill on the intake.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Run it once a month…

Throughout the summer.

Opposite with A/C on your car, run it up in the winter or things just seize up come summer time.

Franglais:

milodon:
First check the air intake inside the cab, I once booked a service appointment only to find out that a blanket had covered it [emoji38]

As above. 1st check air intake. Fluff etc can block off the grill on the intake.

Forgive me for asking a stupid question. Where actually is that? What am I looking for to check if it’s blocked with anything?

On an R series the air intake is behind the passenger seat,outlet right hand side of drivers seat.

I dunno where the night heater is on your’s but its commonly under the passenger seat. The unit will normally have air hose on one end to distribute the hot air. The cold air enters the opposite end. This wil probably have a wire mesh filter on it. Pull off clean replace. May need to unscrew a trim panel to get to it. But no need to fiddle with the innards at all.

Thanks. Will take a look later.

Might be a good idea to check the glow plug, I have one that seemed to fire up but would then shut down. It were caked with crud cleaned it an all was fine and still is after running nigh on 24/7 …

raymundo:
Might be a good idea to check the glow plug, I have one that seemed to fire up but would then shut down. It were caked with crud cleaned it an all was fine and still is after running nigh on 24/7 …

Where abouts is that located?

Rowley010:

raymundo:

Where abouts is that located?

That’ll often be on top of the heater body. . . But reset it incorrectly after cleaning and it could allow fumes into the cab. Not a driver service part I’d suggest. Unlikely to kill you or owt and not rocket science, but if you’ve a half decent fitter they’ll do in five minutes what maybe you and I would take an hour over.

Is this set up similar to the original 4 series, were the hot air pipe ran through the driver’s side locker, to the outlet, and the pipe use to get crushed,and would shut the unit down, as it was over heating, check for fault codes on the control panel.

If its smoking a lot at start up then the matrix filter wants changing/cleaning and that a service item, my 15 plate R450 is booked in for the same problem…parts on order !

If its smoking a lot at start up then the matrix filter wants changing/cleaning and that a service item, my 15 plate R450 is booked in for the same problem…parts on order !

Happended to mine on p series started up then went smoked like hell then shut down. Fitters took it to bits cleaned unit and put new burner on good as new now .

Either the gauze filter is blocked or the glow plug is giving out. To replace the filter you need to get the plug out with a deep slotted 13/12mm socket and long nose pliers, best left to the dealers.

For a quick fix you can always spray wd40, dash shine or similar up the intake just after turning it on (set the heater to max heat)

It is a Scania, Gallon of diesel and a box of matches. Heater works. :smiley:

Did you get it fixed? Mine started throwing exactly the same issue right after I first read this thread (you jinxed it, thanks for that).

Just had mine sorted and the gasket had gone allowing too much air in to the combustion chamber to actually light. Since I’ve had it (about a year) it’s always had a lot of smoke starting up, that was because of the excess air coming in but apparently wasn’t bad enough to stop it lighting until now.

DJC:
Did you get it fixed? Mine started throwing exactly the same issue right after I first read this thread (you jinxed it, thanks for that).

Just had mine sorted and the gasket had gone allowing too much air in to the combustion chamber to actually light. Since I’ve had it (about a year) it’s always had a lot of smoke starting up, that was because of the excess air coming in but apparently wasn’t bad enough to stop it lighting until now.

It is fixed but I couldn’t tell you what was done. Bunk was lifted and and a couple of new parts fitted because I saw the empty boxes, but can’t elaborate any more. Took the fitter about 30 mins.