Nasty looking accident on M69/M1 roundabout

Looks like a Royal Mail has not stopped on the slip road, took out armco and traffic lights and ended up Jack knifed into the roundabout off the M1 J21 slip road.

There is also a Corsa there presumably also caught up in it.

Delays were not too bad but you have to turn left towards Leicester and come off and up and over and back down the other side to access the roundabout for the M69.

Traffic exiting the M69 can only go north on the M1 too.

No access to the southbound M1.

Hope the driver is OK and hope it was a vehicle failure or medical episode rather than the usual too fast, falling asleep or drink drivers which are usually all we hear about these days.

leicestermercury.co.uk/news/ … on-1069561

simcor:
Hope the driver is OK and hope it was a vehicle failure or medical episode rather than the usual too fast, falling asleep or drink drivers which are usually all we hear about these days.

Medical episode, bit harsh, unless you mean something like uncontrollable sneezing :laughing:

mrginge:

simcor:

Medical episode, bit harsh, unless you mean something like uncontrollable sneezing [emoji38]

Lol no I mean the best outcome of the reasons for nasty accidents like this can be that the driver had a medical episode, I. E not under his control. Doesn’t make it any better but at least it’s not the usual reasons the press like to have a field day with when it’s a medical emergency that cause the accident.

I went past it just after it happened, it did look like he didn’t slow down for the roundabout for what ever reason :open_mouth:

simcor:

mrginge:

simcor:

Medical episode, bit harsh, unless you mean something like uncontrollable sneezing [emoji38]

Lol no I mean the best outcome of the reasons for nasty accidents like this can be that the driver had a medical episode, I. E not under his control. Doesn’t make it any better but at least it’s not the usual reasons the press like to have a field day with when it’s a medical emergency that cause the accident.

If you care to do a little research you will find the biggest majority of accidents are caused by human error.

Dr Damon:

simcor:

mrginge:

simcor:

If you care to do a little research you will find the biggest majority of accidents are caused by human error.

Would you then class them as ‘accidents’ though? 90% (rough guess) will be nothing of the sort. Probably a little pedantic as thats how most refer to RTA’s or RTC’s as i think the UK police call them…

There’s also quite a few humans caused by accidents…

RTI is the latest Andrew. The I being ‘incident’ because accident or collision wounds like someone is at fault. PC again :unamused:

Like the gantries these days will say 'report of accident or ‘report of pedestrians’ presumably because someone doesn’t want to be definitive and saying ‘report’ absolves the control centre of any blame. I mean its not their fault it was ‘reported’ wrong is it?

That’s the issues with smart motorways. The gantries on motorways often display old info or irrelevant/invalid messages so it’s no wonder people ignore them. I went down the M1 a couple of weeks ago and it was closed in two places according the gantry signs but low and behold I flew straight through along with all the other traffic.

toonsy:
RTI is the latest Andrew. The I being ‘incident’ because accident or collision wounds like someone is at fault. PC again :unamused:

Like the gantries these days will say 'report of accident or ‘report of pedestrians’ presumably because someone doesn’t want to be definitive and saying ‘report’ absolves the control centre of any blame. I mean its not their fault it was ‘reported’ wrong is it?

That’s the issues with smart motorways. The gantries on motorways often display old info or irrelevant/invalid messages so it’s no wonder people ignore them. I went down the M1 a couple of weeks ago and it was closed in two places according the gantry signs but low and behold I flew straight through along with all the other traffic.

So…politically correct gantries in the Uk now :laughing: With technology now you would think it not difficult to at least display up to date correct info :unamused:

Would you then class them as ‘accidents’ though? 90% (rough guess) will be nothing of the sort. Probably a little pedantic as thats how most refer to RTA’s or RTC’s as i think the UK police call them…

Ok what about drivers driving like dicks cause most accidents.

AndrewG:

toonsy:

So…politically correct gantries in the Uk now :laughing: With technology now you would think it not difficult to at least display up to date correct info :unamused:

I was sat on the M1 earlier looking at gantries saying 50mph while stationary. I thought “50 I wish”

Reminded me of the A27 in Holland where if a gantry says 40kph you look at the Speedo and notice you’re actually doing about 40kph.

Surely if they can be accurate then so can the UK

Well, as an example, today I was coming out of Kettering, and the gantry was crying “M6 JCN 2 TO 3 VERY LONG DELAYS”…
■■■■, I’m going that way, not good, what are the options. Let’s consult the maps, and look for an alternative route. (Whilst doing 56mph on the A14… :smiley: )

No wait… next gantry is dark.

Guess what…

Nothing happened…

Dr Damon:

Ok what about drivers driving like dicks cause most accidents.

87% if statistics used on web sites are made up on the spot.
98% of accidents are caused by mechanical failure.
99% of these are due to malfunction of the big nut behind the steering wheel.
I hope there’s been no injuries or serious medical problems with anyone involved in the incident.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Just seen a post on dash cam Facebook pages of the video of the lorry the driver of the royal mail lorry stuffered a stroke at the wheel

leicestermercury.co.uk/news/ … sh-1073138

trucker10:
Just seen a post on dash cam Facebook pages of the video of the lorry the driver of the royal mail lorry stuffered a stroke at the wheel

If the driver did suffer a stroke he did well to miss every vehicle on the slip road and only hit one car on the roundabout.

The news report still only says the driver may have suffered a medical episode.

Either way I still hope he’s doing OK.

It was an agency driver who had a stroke, working out of Parcelforce at Coventry.

Someone caught it on dashcam… :open_mouth:

youtube.com/watch?v=YR6XciP8H-M