Well this is taking the micky

Got to my last drop in Northampton and noticed my fuel filler cap is missing.

Ring Tamworth and they arrange someone to come out with a new one. Should arrive in an hour to ninety minutes. As I write this it’s been two hours twenty. Now my battery has also gone flat so I need a new filler cap and a jump.

Oh and I no longer have enough duty time left to drive back anyway. I’ll be at 15 hours come 8.30.

Wish I hadn’t noticed and driven back. Would have been home by now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It looks like you are having fun at Brakes mate.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

Ring Tamworth and they arrange someone to come out with a new one. Should arrive in an hour to ninety minutes. As I write this it’s been two hours twenty. Now my battery has also gone flat so I need a new filler cap and a jump.

Oh and I no longer have enough duty time left to drive back anyway. I’ll be at 15 hours come 8.30.

Rag and cable tie would have gotten you home, live and learn.

A.

Adonis.:

IronEddie:

A.

Was doing the right thing and calling it in. Live and learn indeed.

You will…

Have worse days.

know how you feel,had an electric lead go on the unit once, phoned up to report it and tell them I had no sidelights on the trailer[I knew the lead had gone so checked lights to make sure],i was just on junction 5 M4,i was told to sit and wait for a new lead,i explained I could make it back in daylight[Swindon Homebase]in around 1 hr and 20,no, I was told to sit and wait,bloody annoying,not quite the same as your 15 hrs but having to wait when you know you could make it back in daylight or in your driving time,they probably paid for a fitter to come out as well as paying for the part,absolute madness

I’ve known of people being pulled by VOSA for having a missing fuel cap, but when it comes to the adblue cap - what’s their score with this, surely far less dangerous thing? :question: :confused:

I’m thinking that because the adblue level falls as you use it up throughout a driving shift, that by the time you’ve reached the point for making a decision if any is going to “splash out of the open top” leaving that white crusty residue everywhere… Actually I’d better stop myself there. In short, I’ve not experienced any problems finishing off a duty with an adblue cap that was not missing, but damaged and refused to stay screwed on. It was just a cracked in half cap hanging on it’s plastic lead to the neck of the tank. Got a little splash-out, but nothing that wouldn’t wash off the outside, once the cap had actually been replaced.

On duty start, it was in place. This demonstrates the need on walkaround checks to actually “try” each cap, to see if the thing is about to fall off at the slightest touch - right? :blush:
You live and learn. :neutral_face:

If it’s Brakes then it must be an Actros? Agreed that driving without a filler cap is not advisable, but the Actros has a spring loaded flap in the filler neck that ensures no fuel spill. I’d have defected it when I got back to base tbh.

Driving without a filler cap has caused many accidents especially with motorcycles. Luckily most cannot be left lying about by a dopey driver these days. :smiley:

Adonis.:

IronEddie:

A.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
self inflicted misery.
a perfect example of the new breed of paid from the neck down kebab in a hiviz.
would it really be beyond you to use your lidl bag,and a cable tie,tape,rope,or bit of knicker elastic and just drive on nowing your not going to spill anything anyway?..jesus wept… :unamused:

Dr Damon:
Driving without a filler cap has caused many accidents especially with motorcycles. Luckily most cannot be left lying about by a dopey driver these days. :smiley:

You have a source for that? Accidents directly attributed to the cap missing from a lorry and spilling fuel. I look forward to seeing the statistics that lead to you make that statement.

dieseldog999:

Adonis.:

IronEddie:

A.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
self inflicted misery.
a perfect example of the new breed of paid from the neck down kebab in a hiviz.
would it really be beyond you to use your lidl bag,and a cable tie,tape,rope,or bit of knicker elastic and just drive on nowing your not going to spill anything anyway?..jesus wept… :unamused:

Yeah but I’m new and I’m trying to do things by the book so that I might stay on good terms with my employer.

the maoster:
If it’s Brakes then it must be an Actros? Agreed that driving without a filler cap is not advisable, but the Actros has a spring loaded flap in the filler neck that ensures no fuel spill. I’d have defected it when I got back to base tbh.

Wish I had now!

Well got going and got as close to base as possible. Sat in a layby on the a444 waiting collection.

Dr Damon:

Mate I’m acutely aware of the risks that spilt diesel can spell for motorcycles, hence my question if it was an Actros. If it was then you could turn one upside down without a filler cap and not a drop would be lost due to the flap I mentioned.

Fraid so…when I was running a motorcycle shop many years ago, I came across an RTA caused by diesel spilled on the road…it had sent a Rover SD1 sliding across the road and into one of my customers, who was riding his bike in the opposite direction. It was rainy and dark, and he was trapped under the car. The road was slippery enough to have put me down too.

That was bad, and made no better by having to deal with his brother and dad in my shop the next day. The brother had come in to find out about the insurance on the bike, and I had to tell him what I’d seen. He then got his dad, and I had to tell him too…because the police at that stage were only saying that the lad had ‘been involved in an accident.’

At that stage the lad was in a coma…he died later.

So, please, check your caps, don’t brim your tanks, and don’t think it doesn’t matter.

This campaign

mag-uk.org/en/campaignsdetai … e11b7a90f7

appears to have been forgotten…but not by me it hasn’t!

It’s ‘only’ a £30 fixed penalty for an insecure cap…but also counts as an S-mark prohibition for a truck.

Traffic Commissioners don’t like S-mark prohibitions.

IronEddie:
Well got going and got as close to base as possible. Sat in a layby on the a444 waiting collection.

That’s still on duty though…

I was reading the small print in side my derv cap today and it says made in west Germany,so is it an old cap or is it not west Germany as was but just made in the west of Germany ? :unamused:

toonsy:

IronEddie:

That’s still on duty though…

Exactly,wether your driving tipping or on break or waiting to be collected is still on duty,your waiting for a work colleague to collect you.
How are you getting back to brakes or are you going to drive home in a car from where you are now? Knowing penny pinching brakes when I was there I very much doubt it.