Another driver shortage claim

discoman:

muckles:

They want the government to ease the burden by stumping up £3.5 million to support lorry-driver apprenticeships and claim it would save taxpayers £30 million in the long run.

Road Haulage Association boss Richard Burnett said: “The industry is doing all it can to promote itself as an excellent employment opportunity.

“Yet without financial support from the government, and without drivers, the industry on which the rest of the economy is so dependent will be going nowhere.”

Bosses are also appealing to women but fear many are put off by the poor state of truck stop loos at motorway and roadside services.

If the RHA put as much effort into getting its members to fix the real problems in the industry, as they do trying to get public money and telling people it’s a great job, they might actually make the job a attractive to people.

I cant see how telling a 21 year old, hey you can work up to 70 hours a week, a few 15 hour days, 9 hours off, be messed around constantly always get grief from both ends … pay for the privilege … oh, and be paid minimum wage. how can they realistically promote the job as attractive?? … if it was 9 hour shifts max, and 18 quid an hour then yes … but why would a shelf stacker at a supermarket on 10 quid want to waste 3k and a DCPC every five years etc …

Not forgetting zero sick pay in a job not famous for its health supporting attributes.Statutary pay would see the baliffs activated in most cases for drivers after a couple of months absence I would wager.This to me is the real elephant in the room.