Cruising speed

It often comes up on here about sitting on the limiter or below it. Out of idle curiosity, what’s your cruising speed?

My limiter is set at 90k’s but I tend to trundle along at 86 so that I’ve got 4k’s to use either to pass someone I’m catching or to use up downhill before I have to hold her back to preserve my Microlise bonus. Also at 86 I find that I don’t (usually) have to back off to help other lorries past.

Screen on dash says 89 but tacho says 90.

I’m not afraid to turn it off like some and use the pedals to adjust speed to the conditions.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Depends what i’m driving and where and how far i’m going, time of day and traffic levels etc all make a difference.

I will run it on the limiter if conditions are right, if traffic is heavy with bunching and tailgating rife, as is the case these days, then i’ll back her off to whatever allows me to stay in the inside lane and keep a decent braking distance.

If i’ve got all the time in the world then my chosen cruise is 85k’s max.

slowlane:
It often comes up on here about sitting on the limiter or below it. Out of idle curiosity, what’s your cruising speed?

My limiter is set at 90k’s but I tend to trundle along at 86 so that I’ve got 4k’s to use either to pass someone I’m catching or to use up downhill before I have to hold her back to preserve my Microlise bonus. Also at 86 I find that I don’t (usually) have to back off to help other lorries past.

Same as you.Find it a nice relaxing speed to go at.With a bit in reserve if needed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

50 mph all day long. It’s great fun watching others charge up behind me and nearly hitting my back doors as I use my cloaking device to stay hidden until the very last second and then I reveal myself! What fun… :slight_smile:

daftvader:

slowlane:

Same as you.Find it a nice relaxing speed to go at.With a bit in reserve if needed.

I’m exactly the same

I rarely use cruise control. If I find my speed varying a lot I reckon it`s a clue to have a coffee break.
The speed I drive at is obviously determined by conditions, and limits but on an open road I normally manage to hold it below the red line in top gear.

(About 800rpm below in fact. 90kph)

Same as the op 86kph. Not only is it far more relaxing it also provides me with a “comfort bubble” in front of me thus allowing me far more time to react should I need to. Also if I’m nearing the top of a hill and catching a slower lorry I’ll knock the cruise off and sit behind him thus cutting out two potential overtakes which will only upset the traffic flow.

the maoster:
Same as the op 86kph. Not only is it far more relaxing it also provides me with a “comfort bubble” in front of me thus allowing me far more time to react should I need to. Also if I’m nearing the top of a hill and catching a slower lorry I’ll knock the cruise off and sit behind him thus cutting out two potential overtakes which will only upset the traffic flow.

Kung-Fu.jpg

:wink:

Round about the 55 mark…but drop down to 50 if i`m taking a phone call, or putting the kettle on… :smiley: :smiley:

TiredAndEmotional:

the maoster:

:wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mostly 50 now for me and let everyone go charging past as I’m not under any stress from the office whatsoever, although sometimes early doors on a weekend I might treat myself to a bit more speed and have been known to reach the dizzy heights of 56 at times :open_mouth:

We’re limited to 52 so thats where I stay.

TiredAndEmotional:
50 mph all day long. It’s great fun watching others charge up behind me and nearly hitting my back doors as I use my cloaking device to stay hidden until the very last second and then I reveal myself! What fun… :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Set at 65 mph, it has that dam radar device that keeps it from tailgating, if I am just moving along on cruise control it will slow to the speed of whatever is in front, it can be a real pain in the ■■■■, on the good side it prevents accidents.

Doesn’t seem to be running as well as usual at the moment, so say a good 58 for now.

A.

the maoster:

If I was in moderate to heavy traffic then I’d do much the same as the maoster, but as I’m on nights and it’s ‘mostly’ quiet I’ll happily cruise on the limiter and then Juddians quote better applies to me…

Juddian:
I will run it on the limiter if conditions are right, if traffic is heavy with bunching and tailgating rife, as is the case these days, then i’ll back her off to whatever allows me to stay in the inside lane and keep a decent braking distance.

I try to assess and judge whether the truck in front is heavy or light, you can usually soon spot the ‘downhill runaway heroes’, it all depends on the roads, traffic, weather and of course the numpty factor.

At the end of the day I’m just trying to make my truck the smallest numpty attack target that I possibly can. :smiley:

I wonder if all these drivers saying they sit at Tesco speed are the ones that let it roll downhill so you can’t get past then back down to Tesco speed again on the flat…
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]
Or the ones that are following you for miles then decide to overtake near the top of a hill…
Seeing more and more of these absolute cretins…

90kmh for me in my normal steed, do a lot of night driving which makes a lot more things possible.

That said, always drive with adaptive cruise control on and set at 72m distance.

Occasionly get the pleasure of a daf which sits at 94kmh on the gps.

I drive responsibly but iv always got somewhere to be.

Before limiters when I did a lot of night driving I would sit at 65 - 70 when the road was exceptionally quiet.Pushed a new Roadtrain up to 85 one night to see what she would do! There was more left.
These days I very rarely use cruise unless the road is very quiet but my speed as always has been predicted by other traffic and road conditions.
How many realise the 2 second rule is a MINIMUM traveling distance for cars (with an alert driver in good conditions) A rule that is generally ignored these days.
Oh and a loaded truck needs more traveling distance than a car!