Suttons Tankers Dispute

Anyone know what the terms were and what the proposed changes are?

I dont no the details but from what i have heard Nymyas or what ever there called forgive my spelling dont want to pay the rates anymore so suttons are having to cut there rates as they are only contractors and as has been siad above the plan is to reemploy at a lower rate ,but again i hear from suttons drivers there in for a fight and i for one hope they win drivers generally are being treated badly across this industry and others ,and its about time we started fighting back it will be interesting to see if other company’s drivers show support as i think its going to come to picket lines at refinarys i for one am a member of unite and wont entertain crossing a picket like ,the word is greenergy have told suttons they need to get it sorted as they dont want issues at refinarys that may effect there business and as they are a major supplier they have some clout

I hope they win too.

But they won’t. The contract will just get taken off them and end up elsewhere - Stobarts or something just so nobody else can pick it up. Then they’ll be out of a job anyways unfortunately.

If Suttons are not getting paid as much seems reasonable for them to cut costs to make up the deficit.
That being said I am glad to see drivers sticking together; just can’t see them winning though. Suttons would probably lose a contract then run a contract at a loss or negligible profit margin.

^ Just going on what others have mentioned.

toonsy:
I hope they win too.

But they won’t. The contract will just get taken off them and end up elsewhere - Stobarts or something just so nobody else can pick it up. Then they’ll be out of a job anyways unfortunately.

Yes but the current offer is sooooo good the men have backed a strike 100%! If it’s that bad and you lose it what’s the hardship?

TiredAndEmotional:

toonsy:
I hope they win too.

Yes but the current offer is sooooo good the men have backed a strike 100%! If it’s that bad and you lose it what’s the hardship?

Dunno. Depends on personal circumstances of each individual I guess - ie is less money (but still sone money) better than not having any income at all while a new job is sourced.

I went on strike with Royal Mail. Wish I never bothered. Lost a weeks wages and in the end people settled for the deal the were offered originally so no better off.

Fair play for making a stand but certainly these days I couldnt afford to full on strike with a mortgage/kids etc

Reminds me of the whole Tesco stobarts farce at Doncaster a few years ago.
They all got finished in the end after striking for ages.
Stobarts just ran the transport from other depots in the end.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

And that’s why driving wages are spiralling downwards.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Reading some of these posts it sounds as if everyone’s just rolled over and given up,that old ■■■■■ Maggie will be laughing in her grave,that’s all she ever wanted.Maggie do not RIP.

bobbya:
Reading some of these posts it sounds as if everyone’s just rolled over and given up

It’s been like that for a long time mate. :unamused:
Just mention Unions on here alone, and you get a reaction as if you are enccouraging paedophilia from many.

So have I got it right… they’re wanting to finish all their drivers and then take them back on the same jobs later, for presumably less wages and worse terms?

Well, if that is not a ■■■■ good argument for some level of ‘‘union’’ (either Trade or unofficial) in this industry, I don’t know what is. :unamused:

Let’s just all hope this does not set a trend. :bulb:

Dont get me wrong no one wants to strike and the idea is not to strike but the management need to believe you will , people say unions are useless but there only as good as the support they get from workers theirs strength in numbers management rely on divide and rule look at the french they stick together when in dispute so they have an impact

toonsy:
these days I couldnt afford to full on strike with a mortgage/kids etc

Not your fault, it was all part of the plan. :imp:

bobbya:
Reading some of these posts it sounds as if everyone’s just rolled over and given up,that old ■■■■■ Maggie will be laughing in her grave,that’s all she ever wanted.Maggie do not RIP.

burn in hell, just as she did on earth

robroy:

bobbya:
Reading some of these posts it sounds as if everyone’s just rolled over and given up

It’s been like that for a long time mate. :unamused:
Just mention Unions on here alone, and you get a reaction as if you are enccouraging paedophilia from many.

So have I got it right… they’re wanting to finish all their drivers and then take them back on the same jobs later, for presumably less wages and worse terms?

Well, if that is not a [zb] good argument for some level of ‘‘union’’ (either Trade or unofficial) in this industry, I don’t know what is. :unamused:

Let’s just all hope this does not set a trend. :bulb:

I’m in a union ,people forget what unions have done for us without them we’d still have kids down the pits being killed and maimed for life.More power to their elbow I say.

tommy t:

bobbya:

burn in hell, just as she did on earth

+1

robroy:

It sounds that way. It’s yet another example of the race to the bottom, pick 'em up and put 'em down as and when suits attitude.

What is even more bizarre is that one poster in this thread regards it as ‘reasonable’ behaviour on Suttons’ part.

Suttons was at one time considered one of the best jobs going. Oh how times have changed.

Olog Hai:

robroy:

What is even more bizarre is that one poster in this thread regards it as ‘reasonable’ behaviour on Suttons’ part.

:open_mouth: I must have missed that one. :unamused:
It doesn’t surprise me in the least though tbh, I have to endure working with a few just like that. :unamused:
Not only do they readily bend over, they part their own cheeks and supply the Vaseline. :smiley:

Olog Hai:

Correct! but like I said I don’t know the full story only going by what is mentioned in this thread. If Nynas(think thats what they are called) have decided on paying lower rates then Sutton will be out of pocket due to reduced revenue.
Also I doubt most of you know the full story either.

I may be wrong I’ve only dealt in the pallet/parcel business but I’ve seen this happen before. Contractor at a well known parcel company got told your only getting £200 per truck you have here a day when it used to be £250 a day. He turned round and said fine I’ll pull my trucks out then and he lost the contract and all his drivers lost a job.
The contractor couldn’t afford to run 10 trucks a day and pay his drivers so he decided to leave; that extra £50 was pretty much what he made for himself the £200 is ■■■■■■■ in the trucks and driver wages.

If this is similar to the situation at Suttons then it does sound reasonable; considering the alternative will be job losses. THAT BEING SAID I and probably most of the people here don’t know the full story and this is just my initial thoughts on the affair.
I will say I’m not a big fan of going back to the union days of the 70s like some of you no doubt are when black outs and shortages in food and petrol due to strikes was common place.

Here is a meaningless platitude to appease the angry crowd.
BOOOOOO BIG COMPANIES SCREWING THE DRIVERS!

adam277:

Olog Hai:

Correct! but like I said I don’t know the full story only going by what is mentioned in this thread. If Nynas(think thats what they are called) have decided on paying lower rates then Sutton will be out of pocket due to reduced revenue.
Also I doubt most of you know the full story either.

I may be wrong I’ve only dealt in the pallet/parcel business but I’ve seen this happen before. Contractor at a well known parcel company got told your only getting £200 per truck you have here a day when it used to be £250 a day. He turned round and said fine I’ll pull my trucks out then and he lost the contract and all his drivers lost a job.
The contractor couldn’t afford to run 10 trucks a day and pay his drivers so he decided to leave; that extra £50 was pretty much what he made for himself the £200 is ■■■■■■■ in the trucks and driver wages.

If this is similar to the situation at Suttons then it does sound reasonable; considering the alternative will be job losses. THAT BEING SAID I and probably most of the people here don’t know the full story and this is just my initial thoughts on the affair.
I will say I’m not a big fan of going back to the union days of the 70s like some of you no doubt are when black outs and shortages in food and petrol due to strikes was common place.

Here is a meaningless platitude to appease the angry crowd.
BOOOOOO BIG COMPANIES SCREWING THE DRIVERS!

More like, BOOOO Big business screwing EVEYONE.

Prices rise at the till and wages are cut in the persuit of profit. More cake anyone?