Front fog lights

When did yellow ones go out of fashion and why ?

Fashion? Fog lamps are something that definitely need automating because drivers don’t know when and when not to use them.
Maybe some are dozy enough to think they are fashionable and switch them on. :unamused:

ebay is your friend for them…just type in…yellow fog lamps…theres only about 2000 options there.
none of your poofy bright white led modern stuff there.
back in the day,real drivers used a bottle of yellow paint stuff to cover the glass with.

With the mk.I ■■■■■■?

Suedehead:

The yellow ones were NOT fog lights they were additional lights for when driving on the continent.

They became obsolete when new technical inovations on head light allowed drivers to flick a piece of plastic that switched the light angle from right hand drive to left hand DRIVING.

Dr Damon:
Fashion? Fog lamps are something that definitely need automating because drivers don’t know when and when not to use them.
Maybe some are dozy enough to think they are fashionable and switch them on. :unamused:

I thought you turned them on when you wanted to look cool. You look even cooler if you run on just sidelights too.

nick2008:

Suedehead:

The yellow ones were NOT fog lights they were additional lights for when driving on the continent.

They became obsolete when new technical inovations on head light allowed drivers to flick a piece of plastic that switched the light angle from right hand drive to left hand DRIVING.

Yellow headlights were compulsory in France until the late 80’s-ish.
The plastic switch to change from left to right hand dip is on more drawing boards than vehicles I’d think.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I’ve never driven a lorry that had an adjustment for the headlight beam apart from up or down.

I do remember yellow fog lights though, I think the idea was that they produced less glare to be reflected back by the fog, haven’t seen any for years, until recently, some off road LED lights have a coloured light, it’s more orange than yellow though, don’t know if it’s a practical thing or just a look at me I’ve got big lights.

The yellow headlights on French vehicles was rumoured to have been put in place by Ze Germans during WW2, easy to distinguish from German military vehicles or something like that. I have a feeling it was a myth, but not sure.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Franglais:

nick2008:

Suedehead:

The plastic switch to change from left to right hand dip is on more drawing boards than vehicles I’d think.

More common than you’d think. As for yellow lights, IIRC they’re much better in rain/fog than standard white(ish) lights.

Captain Caveman 76:

Franglais:

nick2008:

Suedehead:

More common than you’d think. As for yellow lights, IIRC they’re much better in rain/fog than standard white(ish) lights.

Goodo.
What does it alter?
Two filaments or two bulbs or ■■
I’ve come across vehicles with neutral headlamp spreads (many motorcycle) but never, until now, one that changed hands.

Franglais:
Goodo.
What does it alter?
Two filaments or two bulbs or ■■
I’ve come across vehicles with neutral headlamp spreads (many motorcycle) but never, until now, one that changed hands.

Something in there is motorised. I’m guessing it’s the reflector assembly, when you change sides you hear the motor hum and watch as the lights change height.

Sorry if that’s gibberish, just woke up for a moment and trying to get back to sleep.

Captain Caveman 76:

That’s really interesting, like others I did not realise that was available. What vehicle is that ? I travel a lot between the UK and France, in a car, and that would be really helpful as I get fed up of having to adjust my lights down so low in order not to dazzle oncoming traffic that I cannot see very much myself, might be my age as a contributory factor but let’s ignore that and get some more technology :smiley:
Lots of french cars still had yellow foglights fitted long after the change to white headlights, especially renaults, even on those exported here.
To be honest I have never found any factory fitted foglights, on cars or trucks, to be much help in actually penetrating fog.

Yes the yellow paint for glass…ha ha …i used Iodine…it was cheaper and more effective. Whilst on the subject of lights…why is it that its only the english that are told time and time again to use headlamp converters for their cars, so as not to blind other motorists whilst abroad…i never see any warnings for those crossing from France to the uk…then theres the issue of H/L converters for cars…why are they not enforced for trucks…or better still more easily available…i usually find that the trucks coming towards me, with one headlamp on Full beam seems to blind me…both abroad and in the uk…that should be compulsory to carry spares.
BTW, my Merc ( car ) has an easy converter via a handle accessible from under the bonnet next to the headlamps…trust them to think of everything.

the 560’scania I drive

truckyboy:
Yes the yellow paint for glass…ha ha …i used Iodine…it was cheaper and more effective. Whilst on the subject of lights…why is it that its only the english that are told time and time again to use headlamp converters for their cars, so as not to blind other motorists whilst abroad…i never see any warnings for those crossing from France to the uk…then theres the issue of H/L converters for cars…why are they not enforced for trucks…or better still more easily available…i usually find that the trucks coming towards me, with one headlamp on Full beam seems to blind me…both abroad and in the uk…that should be compulsory to carry spares.
BTW, my Merc ( car ) has an easy converter via a handle accessible from under the bonnet next to the headlamps…trust them to think of everything.

UK headlights until recently, the beam kicked up on the left hence driving on the right with UK headlights could dazzle oncoming vehicles. Over the channel headlights omit a flat beam so no kick up causing the dazzling when over here hence no beam deflectors needed.
Recently most UK vehicles now have a flat beam so more than likely you won’t need any deflectors when abroad. Park in front of a wall on dipped beam, if the beam is flat your ok, if it kicks up on the left you need deflectors.

Washwipe:

truckyboy:

UK headlights until recently, the beam kicked up on the left hence driving on the right with UK headlights could dazzle oncoming vehicles. Over the channel headlights omit a flat beam so no kick up causing the dazzling when over here hence no beam deflectors needed.
Recently most UK vehicles now have a flat beam so more than likely you won’t need any deflectors when abroad. Park in front of a wall on dipped beam, if the beam is flat your ok, if it kicks up on the left you need deflectors.

Nonsense. Dipped beams with a “kick up” on the left (or on the right for LHD vehicles) are pretty much standard on both sides of the Channel. Many modern cars with “adaptive” lighting give you the option of using a “flat” dipped beam (no kick-up) when driving on the “wrong” side of the road.

mark h:
0the 560’scania I drive

They are not fog lights,- because -
A] Fog lights should not be used with sidelights only.
B] They look like add on bling and would be have no benefit when driving in fog.
No offence.

Roymondo:

Washwipe:

truckyboy:

Nonsense. Dipped beams with a “kick up” on the left (or on the right for LHD vehicles) are pretty much standard on both sides of the Channel. Many modern cars with “adaptive” lighting give you the option of using a “flat” dipped beam (no kick-up) when driving on the “wrong” side of the road.

Really, quote from the hand book of my own car.

DRIVING ABROAD

The headlamps have a beam pattern that eliminates the need to mechanically adjust the lamps or add any external stick-on decals.

Washwipe:
Really, quote from the hand book of my own car.

DRIVING ABROAD

The headlamps have a beam pattern that eliminates the need to mechanically adjust the lamps or add any external stick-on decals.

Yes, really. Your assertion was that “most UK vehicles now have a flat beam so more than likely you won’t need any deflectors when abroad”. This is simply not true - while there are a few cars on the market whose lights are as you describe, the vast majority do not. Some have mechanical adjustment levers, some have menu options to electronically restrict the lamps and some require external blanking stickers.

And insinuated that that no kick up to the left was nonsense, Google Xenon Flat Beam :wink:
The lever method has is old hat now, last vehicle I had with a lever was seven years ago.