Volvo FH4 Speed limiter

hi my new FH(4) will only do 54 mph max speed i need to get it to 56 the legal limit, my sat nav reads 54mph the dash reading 56mph, yet all other trucks on motorway creep pass me, if put my sat nav in my old early FH The road speed is 56mph sat nav reads 56 mph, this old trucks keep in line with other trucks on motorway, this new fh(4) has been in and out of volvo delaer am told it as set correctly but it isint, anybody had same problem.

Is it your lorry or do you drive it on an hourly wage for somebody else? If it’s yours and your being told that it’s fine you could always go and get it recalibrated again, but only once you’ve fitted bald tyres to the drive axle. That’ll give you another 2 or 3mph when you put good boots back on.

Why do you “need” it to go 56mph?

If it’s your own truck then their maybe places that get you a little closer to 56 ish.

If it’s not your own truck then it could be company policy or within the margin of error for calibration.

My company truck does 54 max, sat nav says 54 also, I run everywhere at 52, nice relaxed life that way.

Some of our other trucks do 55.9 but that’s a crazy speed.

the maoster:
Is it your lorry or do you drive it on an hourly wage for somebody else? If it’s yours and your being told that it’s fine you could always go and get it recalibrated again, but only once you’ve fitted bald tyres to the drive axle. That’ll give you another 2 or 3mph when you put good boots back on.

If I had my own truck I wonder if I could get away with the smallest wheels possible for calibration then stick the big boys back on later.

Any owner drivers around who’ve tried to get away with supermarket trolley castors and just acted daft.

I’d still only go 52 everywhere as my moto is 52 that will do. As well no ■■■■ to ruff obviously.

Is it on contract hire, Volvo down speed a lot of contract vehicles.

Its my own truck it cost a lot of money i just want it right,

Dipper_Dave:

the maoster:

If I had my own truck I wonder if I could get away with the smallest wheels possible for calibration then stick the big boys back on later.

Any owner drivers around who’ve tried to get away with supermarket trolley castors and just acted daft.

I’d still only go 52 everywhere as my moto is 52 that will do. As well no ■■■■ to ruff obviously.

The size is recorded on the calibration sticker, smacked bottom if it differs from the size you’re running on if you’re stopped.

Mind you, some of the vosa mongs don’t even know how to download the tacho head or know their own rules and regulations so odds are on you would get away with it unless you were stopped doing 62 down lane 3.

Ours tend to go for calibration on the ‘tacho tyres’, which look like slicks. :laughing:

A.

Mine does 54 on sat nav but reads 56 on dash. Maybe it’s a fh4 thing boss won’t put it up as fuel economy is more important than a few extra miles in the day. Some guys on the same job go 60+ ■■■■ that.

daveboy1974:

I’d leave it as it is then, keep the ■■■■■■■■■■■■ tyres option for its next 2 yearly.

Controversial but optimum fuel economy speed is around 52-53 anyway, coupled with a relaxed driving style, forward planning and the ability to perform economy overtakes means more profit in your pocket for bling.

We have two of these, one does 54/53 and the other 56… It went back to crossroads hull and they wouldn’t touch it… we do park royal and back on day runs and the difference is actually surprising!

I had the same thing with a daf…went back a couple of times, only when i started running it at 50 mph and the firm moaning, did they do the job properly and recalibrate it to 56…( 58 really ) so a good result. As an owner driver, i would insist on them doing it properly and taking it for a road test in case they think your trying to swing it… :smiley:

Adonis.:

Dipper_Dave:

the maoster:

The size is recorded on the calibration sticker, smacked bottom if it differs from the size you’re running on if you’re stopped.

Mind you, some of the vosa mongs don’t even know how to download the tacho head or know their own rules and regulations so odds are on you would get away with it unless you were stopped doing 62 down lane 3.

Ours tend to go for calibration on the ‘tacho tyres’, which look like slicks. :laughing:

A.

The better way is Tc/DraX encryrption (undetectable by any inspectorate authorities), have any wheel tyre combination you like, it will increase the limited speed to whatever you choose and will show the true speed on the tacho but will only record a max of 90kph… :smiley:

daveboy1974:

Think of all the fuel it is saving you. You’re only losing at worst 17 miles on a 10hr driving day.

Conor:

daveboy1974:

Think of all the fuel it is saving you. You’re only losing at worst 17 miles on a 10hr driving day.

Not necessarily, many big diesels can actually have a lower specific fuel consumption at varying loads a hundred or so rpm’s higher. 17 miles lost on a 10hr day could also mean around 30mins extra, not good if on a regular run maxing driving hours…

daveboy1974:

We run new DAFs and set them at 52, as the owner of the company… I’m paying for the liquid gold and tbh… there’s not many places below Scotland where you can maintain 56mph safely.

AndrewG:

Conor:

daveboy1974:

Not necessarily, many big diesels can actually have a lower specific fuel consumption at varying loads a hundred or so rpm’s higher. 17 miles lost on a 10hr day could also mean around 30mins extra, not good if on a regular run maxing driving hours…

That’s what DAF told us, but after seeing our average MPG go up, I had them re-calibrated to 52 and now the fuel consumption is much better.

What seems to be an issue is the constant speed - there’s not enough space on the road to maintain a constant 56 over longer ranges. Conversely maintaining 52 is easier and therefore less fluctuation on the performance / slowing & acceleration etc.

Mine’ s the other way round. I set the speed to 89 km/h & she does 91 km/h. So now i set it at 87 to do 89…

How did you set it