Tramping rates

We have been told that there is no tramping for the next two weeks and all will be classed as day work and local deliveries, I am not really that bothered tbh. Two other trampers are up in arms over it and throwing wobblers about the rates. I had to ask the question as I thought they meant we are getting a lower rate, They are classing the night out money as part of their wages and over the next two weeks we are losing out. Well we only get £22.50 per night and over 10 nights isn’t that much to dip out on as I usually end up spending at least £15 on an average anyway. Only difference it really makes is the commuting each day and the getting up earlier which I hate about day work and why I prefer tramping. Tramping is easier and less hassle but wages wise, I don’t see as a loss. Odd but that’s people for you, moan over nothing.

It’s £225 less they will earn over the 2 weeks,I’d be ■■■■■■ off too if I was told I’d got to work 2 weeks for less money and have to use fuel to get to work every day…I can understand their issue.
Won’t affect you of course living in the house that the bloke who owns the Meadow Hall centre in Sheffield once owned,of course…Maybe just stand down the gardener to offset the £225.

Another dig at trampers who consider the night out money part of their wages.

(Before anyone starts, of course it is. You get it paid by your boss, because nighting out is part of the operation. Wether or not your ‘hourly rate’ pay is to low or not is irrelevant in this case).

xichrisxi:
It’s £225 less they will earn over the 2 weeks,I’d be ■■■■■■ off too if I was told I’d got to work 2 weeks for less money and have to use fuel to get to work every day…I can understand their issue.

I thought about saying that as well but then I realised its not a real life story. BUT ( :laughing: :wink: )if it is, UKT is doing the usual I have loads of money from my fridge adventures that £200+ lost makes no difference and being at home in the week will mean more dinner parties.

mrginge:

xichrisxi:

I thought about saying that as well but then I realised its not a real life story. BUT ( :laughing: :wink: )if it is, UKT is doing the usual I have loads of money from my fridge adventures that £200+ lost makes no difference and being at home in the week will mean more dinner parties.

No not at all, I do not consider night out money is part of the wage structure. If it was then it would be a very poor rate as you spend at least half by being away, so the other £10 or £15 per night divided by the hours spent in the cab equates to how much exactly?

Where I work trampers normally have 4 nights out and sometimes 5. Occasionally though it just works out that you’ll be at the yard at 5/6pm ish with nothing to run with until the morning so the planners will say go home, so your losing a night out that week. I actually like this having the extra night at home, but you you wouldn’t believe how much some drivers kick off about it…”I’m losing my night out” blah blah blah. Get a grip! It’s £25 that you shouldn’t see as part of your regular wage anyway.

Well I can see their point. Regardless of what you call it, they’re £100 down on their wages, and I doubt they’ve had a 90 day consultation period to discuss the change in terms of their contract.

It all boils down their terms of their contract with the company.

However it can also be argued from the company side if they don’t have any tramping work available then they should not be expected to pay the same money when you won’t be nighting out.

We are talking about 2 weeks it’s hardly the be all and end all, if it’s just a couple of weeks then crack on however if it becomes long term then other routes should be taken by the company.

You take the rough with the smooth.

But as its a UK tramp thread well… We take it with 26 pallets of salt.

simcor:
It all boils down their terms of their contract with the company.

However it can also be argued from the company side if they don’t have any tramping work available then they should not be expected to pay the same money when you won’t be nighting out.

We are talking about 2 weeks it’s hardly the be all and end all, if it’s just a couple of weeks then crack on however if it becomes long term then other routes should be taken by the company.

You take the rough with the smooth.

But as its a UK tramp thread well… We take it with 26 pallets of salt.

I see your point, any employee needs to be flexible. But I wouldn’t be happy of my take home was hundred quid less that I was expecting.

xichrisxi:
It’s £225 less they will earn over the 2 weeks,I’d be ■■■■■■ off too if I was told I’d got to work 2 weeks for less money .

They’re not working for less money. The night out money is a SUBSISTENCE ALLOWANCE TO COVER THE COST OF MEALS AND SHOWERS. It isn’t your wage.

The fact they’re as dumb as some of them seem to be given how many of them see night out money as wages doesn’t change things. Certainly it would appear trampers seem incapable of using a toilet like the rest of us given the state of four out of five cubicals at Leeming Bar at 3am. One had even managed to crap on the seat and not even have the decency to clean it with bog roll. Maybe its all that ■■■■■■■■ in carrier bags in laybys that does it.

Captain Caveman 76:
Well I can see their point. Regardless of what you call it, they’re £100 down on their wages, and I doubt they’ve had a 90 day consultation period to discuss the change in terms of their contract.

What change of terms of contract? Their night out money is a subsistence allowance paid when they have nights out. They’re not having nights out so they’re not getting it.

Go to a shop and buy something for 20quid, it doesn’t matter where that 20quid came from, hourly wages, night out money, a lottery win or a lucky find down the back of the sofa, you’ll still get 20quid’s worth of stuff.

It may be termed as subsistence, but that’s only to give It tax free status, you get paid it for doing your job, which means it’s wages.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I’d be a little irritated myself but then I was employed on a 4 night out a week Contract with the odd 5th. It’s a massive factor in working for a firm, whether or not it’s a subsistence to me matters not as I spend as little as possible on the road. I don’t rely on the money but it’s a nice top up. That said my round trip commute would be 80 miles a day if I didn’t night out and to have to start commuting daily would turn a 225 quid loss into 300 pretty rapidly with the extra fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However you parse the night out money it’s still a take home drop.
If this scenario was genuine I would consider it a lifestyle change as well so maybe look elsewhere but that would depend on many factors the most important being if I liked the company.

For me I get night out + paid parking and with my current diet spend about £40 a week on shopping this includes beer and tabs.

If I choose to eat at a truck stop I’d normally pick one that subsides the meal with parking fee that I get back.

From my own standpoint I class my night out money as part of take home not exactly wage but somewhere in between.

It’s the big picture that counts but a £20+ drop per day would hurt a bit.
Suppose it’s offset by less shopping but one would still have to buy a bit of stuff.

Then there’s extra commuting costs, the ball ache of getting home late then having to start early.

Tramping is a lifestyle and it is what you make it like any lifestyle, each to their own.

UKtramp:
We have been told that there is no tramping for the next two week5s and all will be classed as day work and local deliveries, I am not really that bothered tbh. Two other trampers are up in arms over it and throwing wobblers about the rates. I had to ask the question as I thought they meant we are getting a lower rate, They are classing the night out money as part of their wages and over the next two weeks we are losing out. Well we only get £22.50 per night and over 10 nights isn’t that much to dip out on as I usually end up spending at least £15 on an average anyway. Only difference it really makes is the commuting each day and the getting up earlier which I hate about day work and why I prefer tramping. Tramping is easier and less hassle but wages wise, I don’t see as a loss. Odd but that’s people for you, moan over nothing.

if no night out that it is illegal pay tax free money.If company want pay 22.50 if not night out that must all tax apply.some 5 quid go to tax.

Iv worked with blokes like this who cry if they have to go home as they are losing money,
Night out money is expenses simple as that…
Look at your end of year P60 only hours worked are on it…

Captain Caveman 76:

Interesting point if ‘Tramper’ was in their job title surely a change in contract terms would apply.

A very weak analogy but if I was a ‘fluffer’ again then I wouldn’t be expected to cook dinners.

A wage is what your P60 says at the end of the year,if thats not enough to live on and you need “nightout subsistence” to make up any shortfall, then your either living above your means and need to tighten your belt in abit,or change your job for better pay.

The moose:
I’d be a little irritated myself but then I was employed on a 4 night out a week Contract with the odd 5th. It’s a massive factor in working for a firm, whether or not it’s a subsistence to me matters not as I spend as little as possible on the road. I don’t rely on the money but it’s a nice top up. That said my round trip commute would be 80 miles a day if I didn’t night out and to have to start commuting daily would turn a 225 quid loss into 300 pretty rapidly with the extra fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The commute is a big point as drivers may have taken a job further away on the basis that it was 1 trip each way a week. A 60-90 minute drive each way for a tramper could be reasonable. Turn that into a daily trip with only 9 off and things don’t look so good

Can’t see that it would go against your employment contract as most have that " any other duties as required to fit the needs of the business" written into them and as its only for a couple of weeks its not a permanent or long term change.

as others have said though however you view night out money it will still leave the drivers with less in their pocket plus more spent on fuel and the time spent travelling to and from work so i can see why they’d be a bit annoyed.

My brother in law works in engineering and is on travel and night away expenses etc,
Sometimes can bang his wage up by £200 plus a week…
But if there’s no traveling or work from other areas that include an overnight stay he don’t complain…
You can’t rely on expenses,
If the work isn’t there he don’t do it so if there isn’t the loads to go down the road then you don’t go,