Woodhead congestion the solution?

what a load of old bollox grandnorthern.co.uk/

I go up the a6

Latique:

Yep , when their press department can’t even use a picture of a British railways train but a Swiss one !
Pie in the sky with out Goverment money or backing

I get their gripe. Anyone who has driven through Glossop recently will have noticed like EVERY house has a poster about requiring a bypass :laughing:

But yeah pure fantasy unfortunately unless backed by government, which it won’t be because it’s north of Milton Keynes

WTF is a ‘rolling highway’?

This idea seems to come up every 10 years, of course the tunnel shown in the website is used for high voltage cables - only recently installed and they have already said that they aren’t coming out again. The bypass has already been designed and accepted, just the treasury in the way as usual. They should also complete the M65 over to the A1 to relieve the M62.

Shandy123:

Got me buggered.

peterm:

Shandy123:

Got me buggered.

If it’s a rolling highway does it mean that nobody will go anywhere? Like a rolling road :laughing:

Would you pay £130 to stick your truck on a train between Bradbury and Tinsley?

Shandy123:

its the road that the tosco types drive on when they turn it into a rolling roadblock :slight_smile:

blue estate:

Latique:

Yep , when their press department can’t even use a picture of a British railways train but a Swiss one !
Pie in the sky with out Goverment money or backing

I think they are showing it as an example of a train carrying trucks.

But yes I doubt it will happen as a viable commercial operation, so it would need goverment investment, Not sure how much it costs to get a truck over Woodhead or via the M1 M62, but I should think it would be far cheaper than paying back the investment and running costs of the train.
They also say they can take the largest trucks, but I wonder if some of these double deck trailers could get through the tunnels on the back of a train.

Motorail Dusseldorf to Innsbruck car train along he same lines, it used to go as far as Vienna.
Woodhead was always a pita even going back to the 80’s, i can imagine it could only have got a whole lot worse. The infrastructure for a truck train though looks long gone…
Are the big laybys with the tea wagons still there??

This has been proposed and rejected several times over the years.When I was in my teens this track was electrified between Manchester and Sheffield/Wath on Dearne.No none will pay the cost of construction(single track in the tunnel and scooping out the bed for sufficient height?)replacing all the now non existing bridges,and marshalling yards at both ends.I can’t begin to guess what the charge for a truck passage would be.It would be easier to convert the track to 2 way car travel from,say,Guide Bridge to Penistone areas using the former track bed which I think is now a cycle/hikers track.

Are these the same people who build that successful Relief road to help traffic avoid the congested M6?

Scrap the train idea. Make the tunnel bigger and have it lorries only .

Reads more like a ‘We want our bypass now’ gripe than a viable option to solve trans-pennine motoring problems.

AndrewG:
Motorail Dusseldorf to Innsbruck car train along he same lines, it used to go as far as Vienna.
Woodhead was always a pita even going back to the 80’s, i can imagine it could only have got a whole lot worse. The infrastructure for a truck train though looks long gone…

There’s only the one real big lay-by on Woodhead with the butty van in that’s on the Barnsley bound side just before you reach the climb on the Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border. It’s just after the memorial for a cyclist that was killed on there a few year ago. The only other lay-bys with butty vans in are the one at the side of the pub at Flouch and the one just after the Flouch roundabout heading towards Stocksbridge at Langsett.

Gidders:
This has been proposed and rejected several times over the years.When I was in my teens this track was electrified between Manchester and Sheffield/Wath on Dearne.No none will pay the cost of construction(single track in the tunnel and scooping out the bed for sufficient height?)replacing all the now non existing bridges,and marshalling yards at both ends.I can’t begin to guess what the charge for a truck passage would be.It would be easier to convert the track to 2 way car travel from,say,Guide Bridge to Penistone areas using the former track bed which I think is now a cycle/hikers track.

The train line ends at Hadfield and the cycle way starts/ends there. The line is a commuter line and there is no chance of it being converted to two way car travel.

This site will give you a ‘heads up’ of what is going on daily on the Woodhead route - hope it helps :-

glossop.online/traffic/

sounds ideal
45 mins on the train preceeded by 6 hours queing up waiting to get on it,and another 2 hours trying to get off it.
then they might have a degree of difficulty in finding about 10 square miles at each end to park up the queue of trucks which would be at the mercy once again of the train drivers union with about 10 times as much h& insanity bollox than the shuttle operates under.
i wonder what the truck drivers meals would be to the equivalent of that stinking sweaty fish omelette …black pudding and fried whippet?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

AndrewG:

There’s only the one real big lay-by on Woodhead with the butty van in that’s on the Barnsley bound side just before you reach the climb on the Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border. It’s just after the memorial for a cyclist that was killed on there a few year ago. The only other lay-bys with butty vans in are the one at the side of the pub at Flouch and the one just after the Flouch roundabout heading towards Stocksbridge at Langsett.

Now you mention that climb i can picture it :wink: Its been a long time though since ive done Woodhead, possibly 1991…