Late night convertible conversion

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … lorry.html

Standard ■■■■ reporting by the daily fail, such as the lorry was parked ‘on carriageway’, but none the less, a broken nights sleep is never good.

How the Zb did the car driver hit it ! , the truck looks to be the other side of a reservation

See it almost every night where car drivers appear to think the layby is a slip road and enter it at full speed. Usually they drive straight through and rejoin the carriageway, barely slowing down.

Captain Caveman 76:
See it almost every night where car drivers appear to think the layby is a slip road and enter it at full speed. Usually they drive straight through and rejoin the carriageway, barely slowing down.

^^^^^.

As above +1

Another reason not to park overnight in a layby.

dont know the layby, looks to me the HGV driver has parked on the run down/up of a wider layby and a car has assumed its ok to get thro Dont park on wider parts of the layby allow other to get thro FFs

Truck was well in lay by parked where range rover is in picture

I saw a car on the A21 turn into the layby on the southbound side just before the Tunbridge Wells junction. I think he thought it was an off slip because he didn’t slow down going into it. The offside mounted the guard rail throwing up a massive shower of sparks and he traveled along the guard rail for a considerable distance until he was thrown off again whether by luck or judgement I do not know and carried on regardless! :open_mouth:

I’m amazed this does not happen more often.
This happened in a lay by with a seperation to the road on it, so what about you ■■■■ muppets who park in lay bys on busy trunk roads, so narrow that you have to pull in your mirrors(…that should be enough, if you have a quarter of a brain to tell yourself it aint safe or suitable ffs! :unamused: )
Just another reason to ban lay by parking, but not before proper off road o.night parking/rest areas are provided for trucks as a matter of routine, instead of authorities just ignoring the chronic parking problem.

TiredAndEmotional:
I saw a car on the A21 turn into the layby on the southbound side just before the Tunbridge Wells junction. I think he thought it was an off slip because he didn’t slow down going into it. The offside mounted the guard rail throwing up a massive shower of sparks and he traveled along the guard rail for a considerable distance until he was thrown off again whether by luck or judgement I do not know and carried on regardless! :open_mouth:

Probably an EE driver on his way to work…

robroy:
I’m amazed this does not happen more often.
This happened in a lay by with a seperation to the road on it, so what about you [zb] muppets who park in lay bys on busy trunk roads, so narrow that you have to pull in your mirrors(…that should be enough, if you have a quarter of a brain to tell yourself it aint safe or suitable ffs! :unamused: )
Just another reason to ban lay by parking, but not before proper off road o.night parking/rest areas are provided for trucks as a matter of routine, instead of authorities just ignoring the chronic parking problem.

But that costs money. The answer is obvious, since lorries are the problem, simply ban lorries from overnighting in the area. Problem solved.

(Brought to you courtesy of the local authority’s school of stupid thinking)

blue estate:

Looks to me from the picture that the lorry was parked on the right hand side of the lay-by, the cars o/s wheels appear to be on the lane divider.

dave docwra:

blue estate:

Looks to me from the picture that the lorry was parked on the right hand side of the lay-by, the cars o/s wheels appear to be on the lane divider.

No look at picture again , I think he was at front of layby and was shunted forward by force of car as there was a frost last night and lay by faces down hill

Same thing happened a couple of times on the a38 just before the a610 slip.

blue estate:

dave docwra:

blue estate:

No look at picture again , I think he was at front of layby and was shunted forward by force of car as there was a frost last night and lay by faces down hill

Looking at the small sign to the left of the lamp post in the second picture on the Mail page & then comparing it to your picture, it looks to me that the lorry was parked close to the entry end of the lay by.

dave docwra:

blue estate:

dave docwra:

blue estate:

Looking at the small sign to the left of the lamp post in the second picture on the Mail page & then comparing it to your picture, it looks to me that the lorry was parked close to the entry end of the lay by.

wrong

^^^^^^
We differ on our opinions, but that is what makes us all individuals…

chad.co.uk/news/call-to-cha … -1-8084110

Regardless of where or how the truck was parked there is only one person to blame for the accident and that I’d the driver of the car.

If you drive like a plonker and are so unaware of taking a lay by to be an exit slip road or can’t see a great big HGV parked up then you should not be driving.

People drive like twunts and people die because of it.

No excuses for being unable to read the road and or signs. We see so many people who can’t get in lane at a sensible time and will cut in front of a 44 ton truck at the very last economic dicing with death to gain a few seconds of time. People drive too fast for the conditions and don’t pay attention to driving at all. Too busy updating faceache or ■■■■■■■■■■ something pointless or sending a text to worry about driving properly.

And maybe it wasn’t just the lorry driver who was sleeping.

I am not making a case for it, it shouldn’t be necessary, but many years ago you were supposed to have parking lights on in a layby and I do know some who were fined for not doing so. It was a thing to try and avoid a flat battery in the morning to remove all but the offside light bulbs.

That’s a bit like hiviz though, it has no value at all unless someone is actually looking at it.
Up here, it is sadly quite common:
HGV driver in ‘horrific’ A64 crash says ‘my heart goes out’ to woman and two children killed - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

As we all know, but sometimes don’t remember, there are a few basic rules that apply to all drivers.
Being awake and looking through the windscreen when moving forwards will prevent most of us from driving at speed into a parked lorry in an off road layby.
Of course, no one deserves to die in such a needless and avoidable way and both incidents are appalling.