Weekly rest period

Hi

I couldn’t find information about this so that’s why I’m posting a new question.

I’m a new driver and was wondering about weekly rest period. I know that after 6 consecutive days of work, one needs to take the standard weekly rest or reduced one. However, what happens to this if I don’t work 6 consecutive days? I mean, I work through an agency and can work, as an example, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday…and so on. What is the weekly rest period that applies here? Or does it only apply for 6consecutive days? Many thanks.

P.S. I only drive up to 6 hours per shift.

Essentially, the fixed week runs from midnight Sunday/Monday to the following midnight Sunday/Monday, and in that fixed week you need to take a clear 45 hour rest period. This can be reduced down to 24 hours every other fixed week, but the reduced rest needs to be “paid back” before the end of the third fixed week following the reduction. If you have two reduced rests in a fixed week, only one needs to be compensated for. if your 45 hour rest period straddles midnight Sunday/Monday, you can choose to attach it to either of the fixed weeks it is in, but not both.

To add to what Harry Monk has said, any rest period of 45 hours or more is a regular weekly rest period, any rest period of 24 hours or more but less then 45 hours is a reduced weekly rest period.

It still counts as a weekly rest period even if you haven’t done six 24 hour periods.

If you work Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday as in your example, Tuesday, Friday and Sunday are reduced weekly rest periods as long as the rest periods are 24 hours or more.
Be aware though that 2 reduced weekly rest periods do not make a regular weekly rest period.

You need to advise your agency when you need to take your 45 as they won’t keep tabs for you. Set yourself a regular 45 to have off e.g. let’s say Saturday and Sunday. Until you come to grips fully with the regs I’d strongly advise you to make sure you have a 45 every week.

Thank you all for your replies! Very helpful. I think I’ll speak to my agency about it to have regular days off as advised by TiredAndEmotional.

I wouldnt bother talking to them about weekly rests…i would tell them i can only work Mon - Fri…with weekends off as i need a 45 every week…that should do it.

If you’re only being offered Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday every week then you need to take either Monday or Saturday every 2nd week off as well, assuming you’re on a higher rate for Saturdays then taking every other Monday will be better for you financially.

If its the same client then maybe a chat with the TM/ person in charge before making that decision as they may help out by looking to book you on a Tuesday, Friday or Sunday instead of one of your current days.

If its for different clients then take the day off from the one you most dislike working for.