What a shift !

Last Monday.

11 hours duty, 28 minutes driving, 220 metres driven, two breakdowns and two trucks !

Your experience of bizarre shifts?

It took you 28 minutes to drive 220 metres did it ? :confused:

Sand Fisher:
Last Monday.

11 hours duty, 28 minutes driving, 220 metres driven, two breakdowns and two trucks !

Your experience of bizarre shifts?

I was once recovered from Woodhead to northampton … The breakdown truck broke down at Tipshelf , Another truck was sent for & his card was refused at Leicester forest … Worst night ever !!!

One driver blew up the same truck on the same bit of road 3 weeks running. The fourth week he was given a different, newer, truck.

For info, it was an old Volvo F10, and every time it was dragging a full load up the hill out of Cherbourg on a Monday morning. As he said, pointless taking it easy there; if it cant get out the port hows it gonna get to Madrid?

bald bloke:

I did 36 kms in 7 hours of driving once. :laughing:

This week;
Monday 3am start, broke down at 5am no work done for rest of day
Tuesday 3am start broke down 7am, again off road all day
Wednesday 3am start, broke down 11am, off road
Thursday 3am start, broke down 3.30am so we sat in canteen until 2pm finish finish
Friday 3am start, HIRE TRUCK!! :slight_smile:

Franglais:
One driver blew up the same truck on the same bit of road 3 weeks running. The fourth week he was given a different, newer, truck.

For info, it was an old Volvo F10, and every time it was dragging a full load up the hill out of Cherbourg on a Monday morning. As he said, pointless taking it easy there; if it cant get out the port hows it gonna get to Madrid?

My old F10 was always touch and go fully freighted up long gradients, down the box with the splitter gear after gear all the time watching the temperature needle rise. When the warning buzzer kicked in i’d either take a chance on whether to carry on until the descent or pull over until it cooled down… :grimacing:

One Friday evening shift earlier this year, starting at 15:00 waiting until 18:00 for day man to return unit
Two bald tyres on drive axle, vehicle unroadworthy, report it to operations, take it to VOR area await tyre man
Arrives, 23:30 “oh it’s a Volvo, I’ve only got Scania tyres on the van”
Decided to re-cut the tyres, all done by one o’clock, report to office
“You may as well go home there’s nothing going out now until five”
Ten hours paid, distance travelled 400 meters

Years ago I drove from Hyde Park nursery to Kensington Palace and back.Twice.8 hour day and I can’t remember the Kms driven, but it wouldn’t be more than 15.

Franglais:

Had an old F12 with something similar finally found out what problem was the injector was not spraying but running diesel in and that was washing oil out of one of cylinders . When engine reached certain temperature not enough lubrication and that cylinder nipped up and ceased… The diesel was an effective lubricant only to a specific temp

I had a shift once, 15 hrs duty, 0 minutes driving, 0 meters drove, 1 breakdown, 4 gallons of coffee drunk, 100 ■■■■ smoked. Ok, so I may have exaggerated the last 2.

remember the hill out of cherbourg did it once in a brand new fl10 was lovely comfy truck but not a long hauler 20ton paper for fuenlabrada/madrid then onto alicante for shoes .got back and said to boss you want me on spain i want the 142 back or nothing was pushing my luck but got it back that hill outa cherbourg caught a few boys out :slight_smile:

bigdave789:
Arrives, 23:30 “oh it’s a Volvo, I’ve only got Scania tyres on the van”
Decided to re-cut the tyres

I have a feeling he wanted the easier option… :grimacing:

stevejones:
remember the hill out of cherbourg did it once in a brand new fl10 was lovely comfy truck but not a long hauler 20ton paper for fuenlabrada/madrid then onto alicante for shoes .got back and said to boss you want me on spain i want the 142 back or nothing was pushing my luck but got it back that hill outa cherbourg caught a few boys out :slight_smile:

If you had gone on the coast road Steve you would miss the hill (on the old road through the town )

bald bloke:

I thought you might be bright enough to work it out… :unamused:

I was actually shunting, hence the reference to metres travelled. Daf’s finest. Horrible motors only beaten by Iveco’s.

Years ago on Wincanton for JS.
Clocked on tacho in run sheet started 18:00.
Back to office “what’s going on then “
“Get your self comfortable Your my bit of spare”
00:00 everyone turned up all loads gon
“ get your head down till 6 we’ll book you a full 12 hrs “
Didn’t even start the engine .
Best thing was I had that 2 days on the trott
Saturday and Sunday :grimacing:

the old timer:

Franglais:

Had an old F12 with something similar finally found out what problem was the injector was not spraying but running diesel in and that was washing oil out of one of cylinders . When engine reached certain temperature not enough lubrication and that cylinder nipped up and ceased… The diesel was an effective lubricant only to a specific temp

Good grief, be careful not to start that topic off again about warming up engines, oil washing, and how lubrication properties vary with temperature! :laughing:

jbaz73:
I had a shift once, 15 hrs duty, 0 minutes driving, 0 meters drove, 1 breakdown, 4 gallons of coffee drunk, 100 ■■■■ smoked. Ok, so I may have exaggerated the last 2.

98 ■■■■ smoked then?

yes kerbut used that onece some ol hand told me used to like pulling over and grabbing few carrots right out the field when in season on the coast road gd times long gone :slight_smile:

take truck from yard to airline shed report in to do transshipments round airport. wait all day doing nothing drive back to yard. less than a mile each way 12 hour shift,