Question about tachograph manual entries

How important is it for me to do manual entries when I only drive HGV’s a couple of days per month?

I spend the rest of the month driving a Ford Transit van on officially a 37.5 hour week but realistically I work
more like 50 hours per week, but I get plenty of rest. Incidentally, ALL driving in this other job is non tacho

Also, how many days or consecutive weekends should or can I legally drive HGV’s… Surely my Non-HGV work
still counts? Am I pushing my luck doing more than a couple of days HGV driving on the agency?

Thanks

I’d just do everything by the book , it’s no fun I can assure you spending over a year wondering where it’s going to all end , big fine and then your walking on glass , if it’s not legal , not right I don’t have anything to do with it , 100%
Is the way to go

Lennoxtown:
How important is it for me to do manual entries when I only drive HGV’s a couple of days per month?

I spend the rest of the month driving a Ford Transit van on officially a 37.5 hour week but realistically I work
more like 50 hours per week, but I get plenty of rest. Incidentally, ALL driving in this other job is non tacho

Also, how many days or consecutive weekends should or can I legally drive HGV’s… Surely my Non-HGV work
still counts? Am I pushing my luck doing more than a couple of days HGV driving on the agency?

Keep a record of the none HGV driving work in a notebook and when you insert your driver card use the ? symbol for all the time since the end of the last HGV driving job.

If your none HGV work is for the same company that you drive HGVs for you would be foolish not to stick to the weekly rest requirements in weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations.
If your HGV driving is not done for the same company as your usual job then it’s up-to you whether or not you want to lie about what you do if you get stopped.

As for how many days can you legally drive HGVs it’s not possible to say without knowing what hours you work in your usual job, legally in any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you should comply with the weekly rest requirement.

My HGV work is for an agency, which is 1nothing to do with my main job!

I can easily keep a notebook of my non hgv van driving job, which is between 40-50hrs per week…

In terms of my van driving job though, how can I tell when I’m in scope of EU regulations, and factor those hours in to my total activities for the week?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Lennoxtown:

Irrelevant.

I can easily keep a notebook of my non hgv van driving job, which is between 40-50hrs per week…

In terms of my van driving job though, how can I tell when I’m in scope of EU regulations, and factor those hours in to my total activities for the week?

It isn’t plated at 3.5t or more and you don’t tow a trailer?

Ultimately where you may come unstuck is the weekly rest. If you’re working Monday to Friday full time in a job and doing truck driving on weekends you can basically only do one day every other week. You certainly can’t drive Saturday and Sunday if you’re back at your main work on Monday.

Conor:

Lennoxtown:

Irrelevant.

It isn’t plated at 3.5t or more and you don’t tow a trailer?

Ultimately where you may come unstuck is the weekly rest. If you’re working Monday to Friday full time in a job and doing truck driving on weekends you can basically only do one day every other week. You certainly can’t drive Saturday and Sunday if you’re back at your main work on Monday.

Thanks Conor… that makes sense and I guessed one day every other week on HGV’s would be my lot.

That’s suits me anyway… tbh I don’t think I can be bothered going back to full time HGV driving now as too many
rules and regs these days, compared to my easy ( but crap wages! ) van driving job!

DVSA sometimes have a multi agency checkpoint which can be at any random location.
It may include Department of work/ pensions DWP, HMR& Customs and a CVU commercial vehicle unit police .
DWP have hand held computer tablets and can check pay from your National Insurance number.
It has been known that CSA child support agency have caught up with non payment of arrears .
So be careful of trying to hide other work/jobs.

toby1234abc:
DVSA sometimes have a multi agency checkpoint which can be at any random location.
It may include Department of work/ pensions DWP, HMR& Customs and a CVU commercial vehicle unit police .
DWP have hand held computer tablets and can check pay from your National Insurance number.
It has been known that CSA child support agency have caught up with non payment of arrears .

Thanks Toby… all very good info.

You’re right, you can’t hide much these days, what with all the organisations and government agencies sharing
information with each other. It’s a very interconnected World we live in now innit?

I prefer the good old days in haulage before mobile phones, trackers and big brother watching your every move,
and now some of us even have CCTV monitoring us in our cabs! - Whatever next!! :slight_smile:

Lennoxtown:

toby1234abc:

Thanks Toby… all very good info.

You’re right, you can’t hide much these days, what with all the organisations and government agencies sharing
information with each other. It’s a very interconnected World we live in now innit?

I prefer the good old days in haulage before mobile phones, trackers and big brother watching your every move,
and now some of us even have CCTV monitoring us in our cabs! - Whatever next!! :slight_smile:

Automated trucks with no drivers :laughing: