Scania low entry urban delivery vehicles

Just curious how these would effect axle weights, especially the front steering :neutral_face:

scania.com/uk/en/home/exper … eries.html

Scania have topped the ugly truck tree with this

Reef:
Just curious how these would effect axle weights, especially the front steering :neutral_face:

scania.com/uk/en/home/exper … eries.html

Ridiculous idea unless the bottom half of the cab is made from iron/steel or whatever the terberg uses. Even with ground clearance the amount of damage I see to steps, bumpers etc that would just be asking for trouble.

I guess being urban it would be 29ton max as well that is some overhang for sure. Not too mention that amount of overhang might make getting in even harder than a unit with no overhang.

I actually like the idea in principle, if your doing a lot of drops and all round cities etc.

Same goes for the low level entry terberg when your in and out it makes some sense but again that has a longer overhang than a standard DT182 tug so in yards where space is tight it makes the job that bit harder with the overhang.

simcor:
I actually like the idea in principle, if your doing a lot of drops and all round cities etc.

Same goes for the low level entry terberg when your in and out it makes some sense but again that has a longer overhang than a standard DT182 tug so in yards where space is tight it makes the job that bit harder with the overhang.

BOC or fuel tanker use, but like you say the overhang isn’t ideal for tight yards or forecourts, be even worse with an extended trailer and rear steer

I don’t fancy driving that .I’d say drivers safety has basically gone out the Window on this .

Beetlejuice:
I don’t fancy driving that .I’d say drivers safety has basically gone out the Window on this .

I wouldn’t say that’s entirely true, trucks have got a lot better in terms of safety than they used to be. I’m sure it will have decent crumple zones built in etc. Although the simple answer is don’t have a crash in the first place lol

That cant be UK spec either, the front overhang will over length it with trailer hooked up…

I cannot see how that meets the swept path conditions for operating at 44t even if it is an urban design. The front overhang is about the same as a PSV, it is going to be a real pain as said with kerbs, PSV sustain an appreciable amount of damage to front corners. But hey-ho it has been designed by experts - or more probably a committee of experts; and we all know the results of committee decisions.

AndrewG:
That cant be UK spec either, the front overhang will over length it with trailer hooked up…

I don’t think it’s a tractor unit, but a chassis cab for rigid’s.

simcor:

Beetlejuice:

I wouldn’t say that’s entirely true, trucks have got a lot better in terms of safety than they used to be. I’m sure it will have decent crumple zones built in etc. Although the simple answer is don’t have a crash in the first place lol

I would .you are basically at road level in this ,So obviously the lower you sit the more chances are you will get squashed or go through the screen.I don’t think you can avoid certain crashes either !

simcor:
I’m sure it will have decent crumple zones built in etc.

So it rear ends the load deck height of a truck exactly which bit is supposed to crumple ?. :unamused:.Not to mention taking out loads of valuable forward visibility in traffic.The thing is bleedin dangerous magic roundabout toy town design thinking dreamed up by retards with a mental age of 7. :imp:

Are they doing it as a tractor unit? That picture looks like a chassis cab to go to a body builder. Still I don’t like the idea of a driver being that low down with any amount of weight behind them. Its OK if you are a DHL or a Stobarts where you can afford to have vehicles which never go outside of the M25 but if you are any other operator a vehicle specced for London will also have to do motorways and stuff and those LEC designs would scare the crap out of me at 56mph. Its also useless for refuse collection, skips, muckaway, cement etc because the front overhang, even riding on air, means you are going to ground out on uneven ground at sites and landfills etc.

Even the big boys in the waste game are saying that LECs are a good idea in principal but useless for landfill because you need to check a database, (which doesn’t exist yet) of all sites to see if you can get it in, where an old Foden which runs on liquidised squirrel might gas the kiddies but it gets every job done, every time.

It’s a chassis-cab on air-suspension, which is lowered for the benefit of the picture.

The weight of the cab on the front axle is counterbalanced in refuse collection applications by the weight of the compactor hanging off the back. They are going to offer it as a distribution vehicle too.

GasGas:
The weight of the cab on the front axle is counterbalanced in refuse collection applications by the weight of the compactor hanging off the back. They are going to offer it as a distribution vehicle too.

Great. And how careful do you have to be loading an 18t these days because of front axle overloading, put the body that much further forward and you will have an 18 pallet body on which you can only carry 12 pallets without overloading the front axle. Either that or the body will be mounted so far back to prevent overloading that all the Euro6 goodness gets lost because of the gap between cab and body big enough to park a sprinter in.

Worth noting that this vehicle has a kneeling function, a mechanism they probably took straight out of their buses. Not sure what the point is in that imo. Why wait for 5 seconds for it to lower before you get out? I’m swinging out the moment the wheels stop. Great that they’re focusing on the driver - hopefully they’ll put a proper engine, gearbox and soundproofing in. Everything except Scania I’ve driven under 18t has given me earache with the engine screaming away. Ategos have an engine straight out of an Optare Solo bus ffs (or sounds like it).

And yeh with overloading, the Merc Axors I’ve all driven have a load counter on the instrument panel (or at least what looks like it), and Ivecos have a warning light for an improperly loaded load (although this usually illuminates the moment you’re empty…). For Scania, I would expect them to have a native load counter. This vehicle is built to make deliveries faster, so adding that would help a lot.