Fire engine back from Switzerland

Hello, I have been asked to drive a fire engine back from Switzerland, it is only a baby at 12t.
I will be using tachograph as I’m not a fireman.
However i’m heading for zeebrugee-hull so as I understand I will not need a toll box as it isn’t a goods carrying vehicle and obviously a fire engine.
Is there anything else I need to know?
I’ve been away from full time driving for 14 years thanks in advance

Not sure you will get all the answers you need on the this newbie forum - perhaps you might be better posting in the main PDF :bulb:

For all the grief and long delays off being stopped all the time by the authorities in transit, if it was me, stick the Trumpton mobile on a flat bed artic trailer.
Fire engine on its own will stand out a mile for the road cops to extract eye watering court deposits to be paid in full where they stop you.
Then the risk of breaking down, can they get parts, it may take a week or more to get the part.
Where do you sleep, the cab has no bunk or bed, the hotels may be full up on the route home ?
Its winter, Germany has BAG enforcement to contend with, what class for the toll roads ?
Axle configuration, then your activities attestation from your employers.
You must show 28 days tacho records, if not the attestation must show time off work for illness or holidays .
Is the fire engine digital or anologue tacho, is the calibration in date and valid ?
You will need fire extinguishers in the cab, does it have fitted seat belts in good nick ?

Probably keep a manual record as its not likely to have a tacho fitted.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

toby1234abc:
For all the grief and long delays off being stopped all the time by the authorities in transit, if it was me, stick the Trumpton mobile on a flat bed artic trailer.
Fire engine on its own will stand out a mile for the road cops to extract eye watering court deposits to be paid in full where they stop you.
Then the risk of breaking down, can they get parts, it may take a week or more to get the part.
Where do you sleep, the cab has no bunk or bed, the hotels may be full up on the route home ?
Its winter, Germany has BAG enforcement to contend with, what class for the toll roads ?
Axle configuration, then your activities attestation from your employers.
You must show 28 days tacho records, if not the attestation must show time off work for illness or holidays .
Is the fire engine digital or anologue tacho, is the calibration in date and valid ?
You will need fire extinguishers in the cab, does it have fitted seat belts in good nick ?

Doesn`t the ■■■■■■ big extinguisher on the back count?

:smiley:

EDIT Is it a new one or an old one?

Richard Long BV do Europe and have low loader trailers.
EM Rogers ltd do Italy, nice reload in CH back to Blighty.
Unitruc ltd.
Swains ltd
Scoter or Scooter ltd , can’t remember their name. ?
Dare i say it , S&K ltd in Barry, Wales.
Kings ltd Avonmouth.
Plant speed ltd.
Ross Garrett ltd Frome.
AJ Brunt ltd Frome.
AF George ltd Frome.
Richard Tovey ltd Bristol.
Willmotts ltd Waterloo
Saville’s ltd Bristol.
Wrings ltd Bristol.
RT Keed well ltd Bridgwater.

toby1234abc:

It might stand out, but the chances are the only reason you’ll be stopped is because of curiosity, as I often drive trucks that stand out a mile and I’m rarely stopped and when I am it because they want to see what I carrying and get a few photos. And doesn’t everybody love a Fire Engine.

toby1234abc:

Depending on its age, the running gear might be quite standard European spec, and if it does breakdown then like anybody else, you’re either into getting it repaired or getting hauled back, you deal with that if and when it happens.

toby1234abc:

Or the hotels might not be full, I’ve rarely not been able to find a hotel space where I could park an artic and if you want some tips on good places just ask me.

toby1234abc:
Axle configuration,

Technically it will be Maut exempt, but you normally have to register that with Toll Collect. But it’s no hassle getting a Maut for a 2 axle rigid is it?

toby1234abc:
then your activities attestation from your employers.

Letters of attestation haven’t been required for a couple of years now.

toby1234abc:

The fire engine is probably tacho exempt and if it doesn’t have one it doesn’t have one, as has been suggested an hours log book might be useful, Krone Racing brought their complete racing rig over to Europe a couple of years ago and that also didn’t have a tacho, the driver had no problems with that. Did have a feew problems trying to get a full size US spec tractor unit and 53ft trailer round European roads though.

I believe only vehicles with ADR require fire extinguishers to be carried.

This isn’t really a new drivers question so I’ll move it to the PDF where you’re more likely to get information based on experience.

Just a thought. Have you got DCPC? If not, and you’re being paid for the job, you can’t legally drive it anywhere regardless of whether you hold an HGV licence or not.

you have all the agro of tax tolls insurance etc then the shipping.

It’ll be prob quicker as said chuck it on the back of a low loader or even a flat container.

Does it have blue flashing lights and a siren or klaxon, imagine the fun with that , stuck on the Paris Periphique or London M25 car park, just whack on the blues and two’s , let her rip down the hard shoulder.

Failing that , use the bull bars to shove them off the road.
I think Dozy should pick it up on a FRIDAY, will he make it back ?
For extra affect , wear breathing apparatus and a chemical incident all in one suit, see the petrified faces .
What if you came across an accident or fire on the way home, do you get the long hose out to impress the girls ?

There is a friendly alliance between the emergency services; so I don’t think the police will give you any trouble . All fire engines are well looked after but if it is a old one be wary of the tyres. It might be low mileage and the tyres could be original; easily 20 years old and prone to blow-outs on a long run.

Just a thought it might be a requirement to cover the blue lights in some countries, as its no longer used for service. I’m sure I’ve seen a few classic ones around Europe with a cover over the lights.

No tacho in a fire engine, theyre exempt…and you dont touch Germany, run back via Swiss -Luxembourg, Belgium, shouldnt have any problems so long as you have the documents with you you`ll be fine. have a good trip.

Thanks for all, yes I am fully up to date with qualifications as I still do the odd week here and there.
yes I have probably posted in the wrong place and I have traveled Europe on motorcycles for a month at a time in the past and have never found it difficult to find a hotel to stay in and usually leave it till late afternoon to start looking. (yes I know parking won’t be as easy)
Yes he got a quote for low loader but firms either weren’t interested or expensive i.e £5000 and its only just over the border. 1992 merc 812 so it’s only a baby and only done 34000k tyres 80% and I know they will be in good condition as fire trucks are always pampered and parts won’t be a problem. breakdowns are a pain whenever you get them but if I do i’m on full expenses including lodgings and hourly rate so still not a problem.
Will be driving it back on swiss tempory export plates don’t know anything about them though?
Thanks for all your replies

Sounds fine, then.
Just over which border? If you cross over at Basel you`ll not need to touch Germany at all. No MAUT, no problem!

Is it 4x4? And is somebody going to build an overland expedition truck with it?

ChrisArbon:

If it is happen it`ll be low geared and a a noisy thirsty drive on motorways?

Franglais:

ChrisArbon:

If it is happen it`ll be low geared and a a noisy thirsty drive on motorways?

A few years ago I was talking to an elderly gentleman and his wife (and probably long suffering :laughing: ) in Reims, they were driving a 1930’s open topped Bentley to Austria. If he could do that well into his later years, I’m sure most of us could manage to get a Fire Engine from Switzerland to the UK, regardless of how slow, noisy and thirsty it might be. :confused: as a man half his age I must admit it made me feel slightly inferior as I got into the comfort of my Sprinter van. :laughing:

It looked a bit like this, the car not the old man or his wife. :smiley:

Old Bently.jpg

truckyboy:
No tacho in a fire engine, theyre exempt…and you dont touch Germany, run back via Swiss -Luxembourg, Belgium, shouldnt have any problems so long as you have the documents with you you`ll be fine. have a good trip.

Yep, gotta agree with this. Just don’t drive it like youre on your way to a shout! Although you don't say where abouts in Swiss you will be collecting from, you should get from Swiss to ZB in one hit, no problem. Not sure what you mean when you say "I will be using tachograph as I'm not a fireman". A fire appliance wont be fitted with a tacho as, in the EU, they are exempt. Swiss isn't in the EU but I cant imagine they will have tachos! There may well be a query with regard the the Euro Vignette for Belguim and NL. I would guess, and it is only a guess, that you could well be exempt from that to.
Personally, as long as you have the legal documentation all in order,then crack to ZB. Maybe cover up the blue`s and make sure the tank is empty of water to keep the weight to minimum. :wink: