Toys R us in trouble

Toys R us are shutting 25 stores and trying to renegotiate its rent with landlords , not good at this time of year
bbc.co.uk/news/business-42204182

Growing trend?
Less big stores, more online commerce?
So, less store deliveries for trucks, but more deliveries of bulk to hubs, and more white vans??

Franglais:
Growing trend?
So, less store deliveries for trucks, but more deliveries of bulk to hubs, and more white vans??

Got it in one

Toys R us American arm was reported to be in trouble some months ago,inevitable it would spread to the UK

Franglais:
Growing trend?

I read in a paper that white vans are the biggest cause of traffic now.

Franglais:
Growing trend?

And more centralisation, moving from smaller local trading units to large central trading units with more areas becoming economic backwaters like has been seen with de-industrialisation which affected small towns many of who had one largish employer feeding the local economy, but have now been turned into areas with low wages and poor employment prospects, areas where you either have to move or commute to over crowded and expensive areas to find decent work.
It seems bazaar the in the days of information based industries, where jobs can be done remotely, the companies involved seem to congregate in one area and normally in the already overpriced main cities of the Countries they operate in.

muckles:

Franglais:
Growing trend?

And more centralisation, moving from smaller local trading units to large central trading units with more areas becoming economic backwaters like has been seen with de-industrialisation which affected small towns many of who had one largish employer feeding the local economy, but have now been turned into areas with low wages and poor employment prospects, areas where you either have to move or commute to over crowded and expensive areas to find decent work.
It seems bazaar the in the days of information based industries, where jobs can be done remotely, the companies involved seem to congregate in one area and normally in the already overpriced main cities of the Countries they operate in.

Big cities?
Those places with large numbers of unemployed all competing for low paid warehouse and van driving jobs?
Why would they locate there I wonder?

EDIT. Good job those white vans have the same control and checks as LGVs isn`t it? No-one would like to think drivers were doing excessive hours on piecework, in old, smoky, poorly maintained vans, in order to make a living in the new competitive gig economy.

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:
Growing trend?

Big cities?
Those places with large numbers of unemployed all competing for low paid warehouse and van driving jobs?

EDIT. Good job those white vans have the same control and checks as LGVs isn`t it? No-one would like to think drivers were doing excessive hours on piecework, in old, smoky, poorly maintained vans, in order to make a living in the new competitive gig economy.

Actually I was careful to say areas in regard to the movement of consumer goods and there are areas which for obvious reasons attract that type of centralised distribution.

I mentioned Cities in relation to Information driven businesses which really can be done in any place that has the necessary communications. Why do they have to be in the centre of a big city, they don’t do business face to face, they don’t actually move goods. Maybe it’s because they all go to the same bars, along with the politicians and that’s where the real deals are done?

Commercial rents fall due on the old Quarter Days…including the one at the turn of the year.

They’ve just moved into a brand new built store in Reading

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:
Growing trend?

Big cities?

Actually I was careful to say areas in regard to the movement of consumer goods and there are areas which for obvious reasons attract that type of centralised distribution.

I mentioned Cities in relation to Information driven businesses which really can be done in any place that has the necessary communications. Why do they have to be in the centre of a big city, they don’t do business face to face, they don’t actually move goods. Maybe it’s because they all go to the same bars, along with the politicians and that’s where the real deals are done?

Sorry, I take your point.

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

Big cities?

Absolutly no problem, :wink:
You still up for a revolution? still got loads of berets and Che Guevara t’shirts to give out. :laughing:

muckles:

Franglais:

You still up for a revolution? still got loads of berets and Che Guevara t’shirts to give out. :laughing:

Yeah, of course I`m up for it !

But Im doing a bit of overtime this afternoon to pay for my new plastic christmas tree. And having said Ill be in, I wouldn`t want to let my boss down. Can we put it off for a bit?

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

But Im doing a bit of overtime this afternoon to pay for my new plastic christmas tree. And having said Ill be in, I wouldn`t want to let my boss down. Can we put it off for a bit?

I see your point, yep can’t be upsetting the bosses, after all revolutions aren’t about that, I’m also thinking about doing a bit of agency work up to Christmas (got to pay for the Berets and T’shirts :blush: ) and a revolution might really take up my time. :laughing:
We’ll have a revolution when our bosses give us time off work for it. :laughing:

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

I see your point, yep can’t be upsetting the bosses, after all revolutions aren’t about that, I’m also thinking about doing a bit of agency work up to Christmas (got to pay for the Berets and T’shirts :blush: ) and a revolution might really take up my time. :laughing:
We’ll have a revolution when our bosses give us time off work for it. :laughing:

Asked my boss for time off for a revolition once, he wouldn’t give me a straight answer, just kept going round in circles :blush:

Not surprised with this firm ,when my daughter was small,we went there,and it was one of the most unpleasant places,i’ve ever been too

lolipop:
Toys R us American arm was reported to be in trouble some months ago,inevitable it would spread to the UK

Toys R Us declared bankruptcy in the USA several months back.

Franglais:
Growing trend?

+1. Ominous trends & patterns slowly starting to emerge :neutral_face:

Hammond missed his opportunity to tax white van man already.

That’s now going to come back and bite him in the arse, as the floodgates are now open to anyone realizing that you can be self employed, on £1000 per week, and offset the lot for taxes, ending up paying no tax at all.

You’ll bloody work for it mind, but the country as a whole does not benefit, since I can’t see the workshy coming forward to occupy all these “vacancies” in the gig economy. It’ll be people transferring from other aspects of the transport industry as a whole.

…Eg a load of newly-unemployed staff from P&H for example, or some former Uber driver, currently kicking their heels… Then there’s the kids of Builders, and others already connected to the “White Van Man” economy.

I tried one recently “No job too small” (Handyman work. Looking for roof repairs, some taps to be installed, and a leaking pipe fixed) They won’t even give me a quote FFS.
Well, I’m hardly going to engage some blighter for a cash job - if they think they’re going to play the “brudder play” like fixing my drive, and it’ll end up costing me £25k, because I didn’t fix the price at the outset! :imp:

Until stores, and high streets for that matter, make the shopping experience a pleasant one, where solvent people with money spend are welcomed, including…and i’ll shout this for the hard of hearing in the boardroom and at the council offices…PROVIDE DECENT TOILETS FOR CUSTOMERS, FREE (paid for out of profits or the rates, as applicable)…until then 'er indoors and i will continue to do still more of our shopping online from the comfort of our home where we’re welcome and its warm and safe and a clean toilet available.

And another thing, now this is for shopping centre managers and the spotlessly clean shiney arsed hivises as found doing bugger all of any use in the offices of local and borough councils.
Provide safe parking and make the streets and shopping centres safe for solvent customers, the streets and the shops are not paid for by the hoodies, pick pockets, muggers, general thugs, winos, other drunks, car thieves/vandals, they are paid for by the shoppers, ratepayers and taxpayers.
Oh and stop with trying to make it as difficult as possible for people to use their cars in towns, we don’t need to give you our business, you need our money, have a rethink.

Us consumers are thoroughly ■■■■■■ off with being almost despised.

rant over