Howdens joinery fined 1.2M

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2017/1 … ver-death/

Yep, that’s what happens when you ignore all that pointless ridiculous waste of time heath and safety bollox as some people on here bleat on about it being. He did something which many people would think nothing of but which was well against the H&S rules of the company as you’re not supposed to go anywhere near the forklift when its unloading and it cost him his life.

So when people are rolling their eyes as the companies they collect from, deliver to or work for say they need to X, Y or Z procedure its usually because of something that has happened in the past which has resulted in someone getting injured or even killed as RIchard was.

Conor:
Yep, that’s what happens when you ignore all that pointless ridiculous waste of time heath and safety bollox as some people on here bleat on about it being. He did something which many people would think nothing of but which was well against the H&S rules of the company as you’re not supposed to go anywhere near the forklift when its unloading and it cost him his life.

So when people are rolling their eyes as the companies they collect from, deliver to or work for say they need to X, Y or Z procedure its usually because of something that has happened in the past which has resulted in someone getting injured or even killed as RIchard was.

Nothing of course to do with the overloaded fork lift that toppled over? Sounds a right Mickey Mouse set up to me!

Conor:

So if you’re not allowed anywhere near the fork lift when it’s in operation why didn’t the flt driver not do something about it then and say something!

tango boy:

Conor:

So if you’re not allowed anywhere near the fork lift when it’s in operation why didn’t the flt driver not do something about it then and say something!

Pacquiao - Marquez Fight 4_2.jpg

Conor:

An isolated case, 99% of H&S is complete bollox. We have absolutely none at our place and it all rolls smoothly without issue…

robbo99.:
Nothing of course to do with the overloaded fork lift that toppled over? Sounds a right Mickey Mouse set up to me!

No because it shouldn’t have happened if even only one of the parties involved were following the rules. Drivers at that point were required to stand well away from the forklift truck when it was moving, since that accident where possible there is now effectively an exclusion zone around the vehicle on the side being unloaded with the driver expected to stand at one corner of it to observe. If the driver needs to do anything like shift a strap the forkie has to stop all operations. On the heavy stacks the rules for the forkie are that the stack is supposed to be lifted in two or more lifts. All the forklift trucks are fitted with an overload alarm.

Like some of the drivers some of the forkies used to ignore the rules. In this case both did. If the driver had observed the distance rule then if the forkie picked up a divisible stack that was overweight and the forkie did what he did then the driver would be alive. If the driver had approached the forkie and the forkie stopped all operations then the driver would be alive.

AndrewG:
An isolated case, 99% of H&S is complete bollox. We have absolutely none at our place and it all rolls smoothly without issue…

So there aren’t any entries at all in a legitimately run accident book? Nobody has ever been injured? I find that hard to believe.

Isolated case? These are involving drivers and forklift trucks and I haven’t even got past page one of a cursory search.

ansonssolicitors.com/85000- … ift-truck/

press.hse.gov.uk/2015/forklift-c … es-worker/

press.hse.gov.uk/2015/company-in … ift-truck/

press.hse.gov.uk/2015/solihull-f … s-crushed/

There are quite a few others. This guy was standing on the blades to load stuff into a container.

press.hse.gov.uk/2016/scrap-meta … -injuries/

Standard procedure to get onto a trailor was to stand on the forks …

Conor:

robbo99.:

No because it shouldn’t have happened if even only one of the parties involved were following the rules. Drivers at that point were required to stand well away from the forklift truck when it was moving, since that accident where possible there is now effectively an exclusion zone around the vehicle on the side being unloaded with the driver expected to stand at one corner of it to observe. If the driver needs to do anything like shift a strap the forkie has to stop all operations. On the heavy stacks the rules for the forkie are that the stack is supposed to be lifted in two or more lifts. All the forklift trucks are fitted with an overload alarm.

Like some of the drivers some of the forkies used to ignore the rules. In this case both did. If the driver had observed the distance rule then if the forkie picked up a divisible stack that was overweight and the forkie did what he did then the driver would be alive. If the driver had approached the forkie and the forkie stopped all operations then the driver would be alive.

So if the forklift driver had followed the rules this might not have happened, most of these incidents are not down to one error but a chain of events, if at any time that chain had been broken then the death wouldn’t have happened. One of the links in the chain was the driver in the operating area of the forklift another was an over loaded forklift, there were probably others.

AndrewG:

Conor:

Deaths at work are isolated cases, even in Spain which has a far higher rate of deaths at work than the UK, but it still means somebody isn’t coming home.

Not seen a Howdens wagon on the roads for ages… probably had to sell the majority of his fleet to pay that fine off Jesus!

Conor:

AndrewG:

So there aren’t any entries at all in a legitimately run accident book? Nobody has ever been injured? I find that hard to believe.

Isolated case? These are involving drivers and forklift trucks and I haven’t even got past page one of a cursory search.

There are quite a few others. This guy was standing on the blades to load stuff into a container.

Theres the odd scrape/cut/bruise but no one will ever put it in any book. We have international freight in and out of the yard 24/7, forklifts around everywhere, tilts being stripped/built up, freight all over the place, our workshop next door repairing trailers in amongst it all and a pretty fiesty guard dog running amok…but…as long as ive been there not known a single serious injury, nothing a first aid kit couldnt put right anyway. Theres no hi viz, hard hats,boots ect and no safety straps. Big signs all over the fenced trailer park ‘DO NOT APPLY HANDBRAKE’ and we still dont have issues…

AndrewG:

Conor:

AndrewG:

Theres the odd scrape/cut/bruise but no one will ever put it in any book. We have international freight in and out of the yard 24/7, forklifts around everywhere, tilts being stripped/built up, freight all over the place, our workshop next door repairing trailers in amongst it all and a pretty fiesty guard dog running amok…but…as long as ive been there not known a single serious injury, nothing a first aid kit couldnt put right anyway. Theres no hi viz, hard hats,boots ect and no safety straps. Big signs all over the fenced trailer park ‘DO NOT APPLY HANDBRAKE’ and we still dont have issues…

I’m going to suggest you’ve been very lucky…so far…

SouthEastCashew:
Not seen a Howdens wagon on the roads for ages… probably had to sell the majority of his fleet to pay that fine off Jesus!

Would it be paid for by Public Liability Insurance or would the Insurers point to some failing by the company and say the policy is void?

Why don’t they use bigger forklifts , if I can afford to run different sized forklifts iam sure howdens can ?

Punchy Dan:
Why don’t they use bigger forklifts , if I can afford to run different sized forklifts iam sure howdens can ?

Maybe Howdens do and the forkie in question thought his was fine/CBA wiating for the bigger one to be free?

albion:
Would it be paid for by Public Liability Insurance or would the Insurers point to some failing by the company and say the policy is void?

At £1.2 millio I think they would fight tooth and nail to get out of that one … :slight_smile:

raymundo:

albion:

At £1.2 millio I think they would fight tooth and nail to get out of that one … :slight_smile:

I find these things interesting - sad I know! Trouble is, we don’t ahve the information.

What is the score if you have apolicy that says, you only move loads over say 1 ton with x forklift and the forkie, takes no notice and does his own thing. Why is that the Company’s fault - surely the HSE should be sueing the forkie ( for a fiver).

If it is Howdens that have failed to have the correct forklift to lift two tonnes, then it’s their fault.

What if the company sending the goods only every sent them in 500kgs on a pallet, but for reasons that will never be clear, sent a tonne on a pallet and the forkie just never clocked it.

As muckles said, there will be a lot of variables in there.

When I took out PL & GiT & H&R I never checked the small print I just hoped I never had to try to use it …